The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I for one am proud of the lads and Management of England. They got to a final when many said we'd do nothing.

I fully expect the media and armchair experts to tear them apart.
But let's remember, this is the first England team for 55 years to get to a final. They are a very young squad and will learn from this experience.

On to the World Cup. ⚽
Exactly.. it’s a slow build and it’s going good

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think if we’re honest the better side, certainly over the 90 minutes, has won. And whilst I am surprised at the choice of penalty takers, the truth is our options were limited.

Sancho and Saka are talented but both very young and inexperienced at the highest level. The nerves doubtless got the better of them. And Rashford’s penalty sums his 2021 up - totally devoid of confidence and very lucky to be anywhere near this squad.

After the first half during which Italy had nearly 70% of the possession, much of it deep in England’s half, there was, I’m afraid, a certain inevitability about the outcome.

But, having said that, I’m still proud to be an England supporter - let’s just hope our supporters across the country don’t now let us down like so many did after the loss to Germany in 1996.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t get that one, but it’s every cup final, CL, World Cup, … .
Is it so shameful coming 2nd?

It should be seen as an achievement to get to the final in a major tournament

This comment sums up England

Rafael van der Vaart ?️: "This England side... they spend the whole game with their ass in their own box while having so much quality in the squad. It's sad."

England best players - Walker , Rice , Maguire , Pickford- all defensive minded players

Such a wonderful array of attacking players on the bench plus baffling tactics after half time . The talent in the squad should put them into the favourites for the WC but that squad needs to be better utilised , zero touches for Kane in the box ? Surely the manager didn’t ask him to play that way

It’s raw at the moment but just like Russia - can’t allow things to be ignored because the got to a final

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think if we’re honest the better side, certainly over the 90 minutes, has won.

I‘m no expert but I honestly think if Italy had scored early instead of us that we’d have been the better team over 90 minutes. I thought we looked the more likely during the times the game was level, and it was only our sitting deep and inviting pressure that gave Italy the chance to look the better team.

Is that a case of sideline instructions or a result of having 7 defensive minded players in the starting line up.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well done Eng.. should hold their heads high… I hope the powers to be keep Southgate and he gets to keep this team. Young players who have got baptised here

2018 WC.. . Semi Finalist
2020 Euro… Finalist
2022 WC…. Surely it is ours.

Come on England …