The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I‘m no expert but I honestly think if Italy had scored early instead of us that we’d have been the better team over 90 minutes. I thought we looked the more likely during the times the game was level, and it was only our sitting deep and inviting pressure that gave Italy the chance to look the better team.

Is that a case of sideline instructions or a result of having 7 defensive minded players in the starting line up.

Ironically maigure didn't miss his pen and Phillips and stones I think would have scored

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I‘m no expert but I honestly think if Italy had scored early instead of us that we’d have been the better team over 90 minutes. I thought we looked the more likely during the times the game was level, and it was only our sitting deep and inviting pressure that gave Italy the chance to look the better team.

Is that a case of sideline instructions or a result of having 7 defensive minded players in the starting line up.

hello stranger, hope youre well :)

combination of both, leading and a defensive first approach manager

RichA

Visit site
I don’t get that one, but it’s every cup final, CL, World Cup, … .
Is it so shameful coming 2nd?
Not shameful at all. It's just obvious that this team is good enough to win something. I've lived through 12 World Cups and I haven't felt so positive about an England team in my life.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ironically maigure didn't miss his pen and Phillips and stones I think would have scored

Maguire’s penalty was absolute class, and IMO the right way to do it.

Pick a spot the goalie isn’t going to save it and have the belief in yourself that someone paid £100k+ per week to kick a ball can kick it where they want to from 12 yards. None of this stuttering and trying to commit the gk to choosing a side before you decide which way to go.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stats were surprising...........67% Italy at 90 mins.
It did not fell like that.
Best team won, when England scored so early I thought it would go against them.

Lots of unused fireworks for sale tomorrow. ;)

Dunno their letting them off round here.. luckily the white noise machine is holding up ATM

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maguire’s penalty was absolute class, and IMO the right way to do it.

Pick a spot the goalie isn’t going to save it and have the belief in yourself that someone paid £100k+ per week to kick a ball can kick it where they want to from 12 yards. None of this stuttering and trying to commit the gk to choosing a side before you decide which way to go.

Rashford did everything right sending him wrong way but to then miss the target makes you look an idiot

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

It is genuinely frustrating given the talent at Southgate’s disposal but, hey, it almost worked.

That said, you simply can’t sit that deep, and concede possession to a side of Italy’s quality. I did say to my lad that scoring that early may have been our undoing - we always needed a second.

But this is a young squad which will learn from the last four or five weeks. Let’s hope they continue on their upward curve and that the manager shows just a little more faith in his flair players. I have a feeling his conservative approach will have pundits on the continent scratching their heads.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the state of Sakas instagram :( I doubt Rashford or Sanchos are any different

so utterly disgustingly disgraceful and so little will be done about it

I can only guess :(

I hope there’s lots of support there too, or even better that he doesn’t look at it for a while.

D

Deleted member 15344

genuinely someone should delete his account before hes out of the changing room
It’s disgusting but the worst part is people expected it to happen - a 19 year old lad who they prob praised three days ago misses a penalty so they racially abuse him for it - it’s the brain dead level of some areas of social media , hopefully he gets all the support he needs , heck of a player and plays with a great smile

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking that a penalty is about as close to golf as football can get. The ball's at rest, you need to hit the target and the pressure of missing can make it difficult to execute a move you've done thousands of times before.

Coming on as a sub in the last minute of a major final and being asked to hit a penalty when you've possibly not even had a kick must be like teeing off on the first at the Open without hitting any shots on the range beforehand.

So difficult for those players.

Should have been brought on half time in extra time

Given 15 mins to get to speed and who knows with them we might have won outright or lost but would least be same outcome

Positive we took it basically as far as possible without winning (minus sudden death)