Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've decided this is the team I want to see now:

Walker - Stones - Guehi - Saka
Jude - Rice
Palmer - Foden - Gordon
Kane
Saka is the closest thing to a left-footed left back we have (that isn't crippled) and at least he will get forward from there. And him moving leaves space to get Palmer in.

Of course, what we will actually see is the same starting line-up again but with Mainhoo in the "Kalvin Phillips role" this time instead of Gallagher.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Dutch have worked there group well. šŸ˜‚šŸ‘

Seen a fantastic performance in an England shirt that gladdens the heart. Unfortunately it was at a kids Skool sports day. He looked about 8 and it was the most movement in an England shirt I have seen this summer.
If heā€™s good enough Tash.
Heā€™s old enough, but he will need to wait for the next manager!šŸ˜‰

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just glanced at the Beeb and seems 'Saka to LB' has been gaining momentum in the chats!
TAA gets stick for not being a top defender.
But weā€™re thinking of putting a right winger there just because heā€™s left footed. Is he a good defender ??
Whenā€™s the last time someone got around us to the by line and crossed the ball over.
Most ā€œ wingers these days come insideā€ because they are left footed on the right wing or vice versa.
Another bad decision to take Shaw.
There must be a decent LB somewhere in England better than a left footed winger!šŸ™ˆ

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've decided this is the team I want to see now:

Walker - Stones - Guehi - Saka
Jude - Rice
Palmer - Foden - Gordon
Kane
Saka is the closest thing to a left-footed left back we have (that isn't crippled) and at least he will get forward from there. And him moving leaves space to get Palmer in.

Of course, what we will actually see is the same starting line-up again but with Mainhoo in the "Kalvin Phillips role" this time instead of Gallagher.

I'd go one step further. Not normally a big fan of a back five but think this has the potential to free our attacking players to cause maximum problems for the opposition.

TAA - Walker - Stones - Guehi - Saka

Bellingham - Rice - Palmer/Gordon

Gordon/Foden
Kane

Plenty of width from TAA & Saka. Walker to cover TAA when he goes forward. Stones can step into midfield and free up Palmer and Bellingham to bomb forward.

CountLippe

Visit site
Part of me thinks we'll do better against a team that comes out and attacks, compared to the rubbish we played in the group stage.
Sounds good in theory, but your forgetting the better sides will have done their homework on us. Can't see anyone going gung ho!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based on what weā€™ve seen so far, and player form.. Iā€™d go;

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Guehi
Walker

Rice/Gallagher
Mainoo

Saka
Palmer
Gordon
Watkins

Kane, Bellingham, Foden have offered nothing really. However, theyā€™re arguably too big to drop and we know Southgate wonā€™t drop Kane or Bellingham. Foden going home may be a blessing in disguise, unless ofc he comes back.

Trippier has offered nothing either so why not try the back 4 as it was at the end of the game yesterday.

I dont understand Southgateā€™s lineup or reluctance to change things/make subs/mix it up. He seems completely lost but he has more options than ever. A truly horrendous coach
You could put all 23 of them on the pitch at the same time and theyā€™d still be šŸ’©

4LEX

Visit site
Think Belgium were lucky....Ukraine opened them up more than I'd expect in that 2nd half and with a little bit more guile in front of goal should have buried one of their chances in the closing stages.

I was staggered at Belgium, opted to play for the 0-0 despite knowing a goal could win them the group. Ukraine were a bit unlucky in the end and sad to see them go out fighting, while Belgium were taking corners and running the ball back to their own half.

As bad as we've been at least we're not quite on that level.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Belgium were lucky....Ukraine opened them up more than I'd expect in that 2nd half and with a little bit more guile in front of goal should have buried one of their chances in the closing stages.
I agree. Belgium playing as though they thought they needed to score or they were going out. Very open. We wouldn't have the guile to open them up

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think you need to consider that these are high energy positions and itā€™s 60mins then subbed off.
For me Saka looks tired, Palmer looked fresh eager .. but you could argue well he was put on after Saka had run his man.. hence my first statement rotate in game.
Kane is not on form, get him off .. simple no emotion about it just accept it.
He isnā€™t scaring anyone with his pace .. a defender who will be in a foot race will be more likely to commit a foul or lose possession.
No one was running with the ball into space .. every good team drives into space because it draws opposing players in and then creates gaps ( which should be exploited by mobile players - which Kane is not) ..
Football tactics employed here is just counter attack itā€™s mono dimensional.. you have to force the issue stretch your opponents positioning as well.
We have those players ..
also all this wing back stuff is getting up my nose, we donā€™t have them available so you have to ply with what you have and that sets the defensive system.. which can be a back 4 or 3 depending on the defensive qualities of your wingers ( if you are subbing them out then itā€™s a fair request to run them into the ground)

Kane has been very poor so far but is it fair to single him out? Just about the whole team have been poor with the exception of Guehi.

Kane has never had any pace itā€™s the way heā€™s played his whole career.

Looking at the players that have played in the first 3 games a case could be made of dropping Bellingham, TAA, Rice, Foden, Gallagher, Trippier

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Turkey v Czech Rep....has a similar feel to Austria - Netherlands....am expecting the Czech's to go for it but likely to be picked off by Arda Guler....reckon it could be a goal fest

4LEX

Visit site
We've got the leading scorer in Germany and Europe
We've got the La Liga POTY
We've got the Premier League POTY

And we're playing football without any sort of attacking plan and managed 2 goals in 3 games against some really average sides o_O