The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The way the draw has opened up on Englands half, it will be classed as a successful tournament when Southgate reaches the semis again. Bottom line it has been a purgatory tournament again.
We may be surprised and things improve..................but it does also show how stats and positions in leagues and tournaments can often be misleading

Swango1980

Visit site
The way the draw has opened up on Englands half, it will be classed as a successful tournament when Southgate reaches the semis again. Bottom line it has been a purgatory tournament again.
Best they focus on Slovakia, because England could be underdogs in that match if they continue to play as they have up to now.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If England showed at least half the passion and desire of teams like Slovakia , Georgia and Austria then they would have a great chance

All those teams have what most would say are squads lower on talent than England but each one has a manager that is able to mould the team to the players strengths and play without fear and put their hearts into it , there is no square pegs

Englands issue is the manager and it’s no surprise that teams doing well are managed by ex players that were successful as players

Swango1980

Visit site
In the 23/24 season, the players within the England squad scored a combined 246 goals.

In the first 3 matches of Euro 24, they've scored 2. Well done Gareth, for getting the best out of them :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If England showed at least half the passion and desire of teams like Slovakia , Georgia and Austria then they would have a great chance

All those teams have what most would say are squads lower on talent than England but each one has a manager that is able to mould the team to the players strengths and play without fear and put their hearts into it , there is no square pegs

Englands issue is the manager and it’s no surprise that teams doing well are managed by ex players that were successful as players
I agree about the passion completely.. but we drain that out of our players .. except Gazza who played like he was on the playground at lunch time.
( well I played like that as a kid - the choppers though seem to be prolific in the school team though and you knew they were just playing your ankles or grabbing - a swift defensive elbow was okay on the playground but apparently not on the pitch ?!?)
As for the manager comments I think to an extent this is the nature of the career progression.. it’s natural for ex players to stay in the game ( after all they have dedicated their time to it so have a limited skill set …)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That really is not the benchmark. Looking at the recent batch of successful players turned manager, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Henry, how have they turned out? Some work, some don't. Different skillset.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That really is not the benchmark. Looking at the recent batch of successful players turned manager, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Henry, how have they turned out? Some work, some don't. Different skillset.

It is very volatile when it comes to players - some stand out to be managers at the highest level

Pep
Enrique
Mancini
Conte
Zidane

Those players are those that excelled across all levels including international

Southgate didn’t even excel really at any level - decent prem player but that’s about it

Issue is that there hasn’t been many stand out English players internationally

Actually think Rooney is a lot more knowledgeable than it seems and can do a very good job as manager

And international manager is different than Club - hence why a number of ex pros do well there

I wonder how the likes of Gerrard and Lampard would do internationally

Think the one person out there that could surprise is Carrick

Think all those players would be more creative and look to get more out of the players

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Think the content of what he says is very good , watch the documentary about the 04 Euros

The prob is he isn’t very articulate

Would listen to him more than many of the others

yeah I quite like him too tbh, not scared to say things or upset anyone.

Interesting insights from a player who had the weight of a nation on his shoulders for some time..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think the content of what he says is very good , watch the documentary about the 04 Euros

The prob is he isn’t very articulate

Would listen to him more than many of the others

Maybe he comes across well on a documentary but on live tv he’s like a rabbit in the headlights, mumbling his words and just coming out with basic generic sentences.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think we cannot dump the team wholesale, we need to be selective and I really don’t see Kane as suitable. I don’t like picking players because you always have .. Watkins and Toney need to start and be energetic.. pull defenders with them etc.
Trippier I would drop as well, or rest and I would seek to play possibly a back 4 that is not running backs … because that’s what the squad has to offer. You cannot at this level play a style/system without players who do it regularly. I think that’s been proven - we don’t follow the Ajax “total football “ philosophy in England

I agree you cannot make wholesale changes to the team, my point was most players have been that poor anyone could be dropped.

I really think any players Southgate picks out of the squad should be capable of much better than we’ve seen so far.

Also your comment about style/system is very relevant as this is the main reason England have underperformed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree you cannot make wholesale changes to the team, my point was most players have been that poor anyone could be dropped.

I really think any players Southgate picks out of the squad should be capable of much better than we’ve seen so far.

Also your comment about style/system is very relevant as this is the main reason England have underperformed.
I think if you have an intention or system in mind you should pick those players who can .. it might be a bunch of names you haven’t heard of before but it might just be a better team overall.
I do think the English set up is very rigid, the media too influential- maybe suggest they pick the team and tactics against an opponent we have seen and then dissect their choices as to why and why not. It may help restore GS’ public image

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe he comes across well on a documentary but on live tv he’s like a rabbit in the headlights, mumbling his words and just coming out with basic generic sentences.
Disagree with that, I think he comes across as very knowledgeable and makes some good points.
As an aside, if England players had the same desire and sheer determination that Rooney had, regardless of who he was playing for, we would be in a much better place.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It is very volatile when it comes to players - some stand out to be managers at the highest level

Pep
Enrique
Mancini
Conte
Zidane

Those players are those that excelled across all levels including international

Southgate didn’t even excel really at any level - decent prem player but that’s about it

Issue is that there hasn’t been many stand out English players internationally

Actually think Rooney is a lot more knowledgeable than it seems and can do a very good job as manager

And international manager is different than Club - hence why a number of ex pros do well there

I wonder how the likes of Gerrard and Lampard would do internationally

Think the one person out there that could surprise is Carrick

Think all those players would be more creative and look to get more out of the players

Really?!?

As a manager, I think Southgate is absolute rubbish. He was a damn fine player in the Prem AND good enough for over 50 caps at international level, many achieved whilst at a very unfashionable club. He was far more than a journeyman pro, and well capable of bringing the ball out of defence. Definitely not a Hansen or Pallister but more than a very good footballer.

Sorry but I think you’re ’speaking’ utter tosh on this one.

Completely support your opinion of Southgate as a manager but beyond that, no.