The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Really?!?

As a manager, I think Southgate is absolute rubbish. He was a damn fine player in the Prem AND good enough for over 50 caps at international level, many achieved whilst at a very unfashionable club. He was far more than a journeyman pro, and well capable of bringing the ball out of defence. Definitely not a Hansen or Pallister but more than a very good footballer.

Sorry but I think you’re ’speaking’ utter tosh on this one.

Completely support your opinion of Southgate as a manager but beyond that, no.
Yes really

He was a decent defender at prem level ,

In the same way Maguire is a decent defender

Eric Dier etc

Decent players who played to a good level in the Prem

Swango1980

Visit site
One of my English friends is very positive about England. Just seen this on his facebook:

Boring, boring Southgate.
It's so boring that England keep finishing top of their groups.
Euro 2024 finals - 1st
Euro 2024 qualifying - 1st
Qatar 2022 finals - 1st
Qatar 2022 qualifying - 1st
Euro 2020 finals - 1st
Euro 2020 qualifying - 1st
Russia 2018 finals - 2nd (blessed relief from the boredom)
Russia 2018 qualifying - 1st
To top it all, once we've bored our way through to the boring knockout stages of boring major tournaments. We then bore our way through to boring semi-finals and the first boring final for 50+ years.
I miss the good old days of losing in the group stages like Brazil 2014, or failing to qualify at all like Euro 2008. They certainly weren't boring.
His record is appalling and he has to go. Big Sam is available again.

I think he is basically saying to all those Southgate critics "grow up, and appreciate having one of the finest managers in England's history"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my English friends is very positive about England. Just seen this on his facebook:

Euro 2024 finals - 1st
Qatar 2022 finals - 1st
Euro 2020 finals - 1st
To top it all, once we've bored our way through to the boring knockout stages of boring major tournaments. We then bore our way through to boring semi-finals and the first boring final for 50+ years.
I miss the good old days of losing in the group stages like Brazil 2014, or failing to qualify at all like Euro 2008. They certainly weren't boring.

I think he is basically saying to all those Southgate critics "grow up, and appreciate having one of the finest managers in England's history"
How many trophies has he won?

Players and managers are rated by the trophy cabinet.

Like players that are brilliant on the training ground but not on the pitch.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Euro 2024 finals - 1st
Qatar 2022 finals - 1st
Euro 2020 finals - 1st

Get your mate signed up to the forum.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Euro 2024 finals - 1st
Qatar 2022 finals - 1st
Euro 2020 finals - 1st

We discussed this over a pint last night. The question was asked whether we would be happy with England playing the same brand of football for four more games, winning them all, and ending as European Champions. Eight of us there, and opinion was split straight down the middle.

My view? I would absolutely love to see England win a major trophy during my lifetime. But I’m a football fan first and foremost, and watch it to be entertained. I’ve said it here countless times in relation to United.

So if England were to bore their way to a tournament win, whilst it would be nice to end the drought, it would not live long in the memory and, for that reason alone, I would not be celebrating wildly.

Sorry, but that’s me. Football is supposed to provide some escape from the drudgery. Not add to it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Could also ask in that period how many top teams have the faced and beaten

Maybe a poor German side in 2020 ?

That also doesn’t highlight the level of football played as well - not been that inspiring

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes really

He was a decent defender at prem level ,

In the same way Maguire is a decent defender

Eric Dier etc

Decent players who played to a good level in the Prem

I’m most definitely not agreeing with you on this one. You post plenty of rubbish on here pertaining to be your expert view but this is right up there with your worst. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Stay off the beer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site

I pointed out he has won nothing, and finishing top of groups isn't much of an achievement, given that England are pretty much always seeded first. Also pointed out England tend to lose anytime they face anyone decent in an important tie.

He was having none of it, too negative for him :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I pointed out he has won nothing, and finishing top of groups isn't much of an achievement, given that England are pretty much always seeded first. Also pointed out England tend to lose anytime they face anyone decent in an important tie.

He’s rubbish as a manager, and pretty much every Boro supporter knew that before he got the England job. Pretty much every Boro supporter were shocked and dismayed he got the England job. And pretty much every Boro supporter are embarrassed he’s still in the job.

Looking at a stats table he’s frequently got them beyond the group stages because they’ve been seeded and avoided the better teams. And it could be argued he’s got them to semi’s and finals but as entertainment it’s been utter rubbish.

Southgate runs Tony Pulis as a close second to putting out teams that frequently see a massive spike in calls to the Samaritans.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I’m most definitely not agreeing with you on this one. You post plenty of rubbish on here pertaining to be your expert view but this is right up there with your worst. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Stay off the beer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So what level would you say he was at 🤷‍♂️

he had a good career at decent level clubs , picked up a few medals

Southgate was a good player in the same way many other decent players played in the prem but will never be put up with the level of the top players through the years

PaulMdj

Visit site
Could also ask in that period how many top teams have the faced and beaten

Maybe a poor German side in 2020 ?

That also doesn’t highlight the level of football played as well - not been that inspiring
That’s irelevant, haven’t all the English managers since and in some ways including Sir Alf faced poor teams and failed to beat top teams.

That record doesn’t belong to Southgate and Southgate alone, no manager chooses what group they are drawn in or who’ll they’ll play in the knockouts.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That’s irelevant, haven’t all the English managers since and in some ways including Sir Alf faced poor teams and failed to beat top teams.

That record doesn’t beling to Southgate and Southgate alone, no manager chooses what group they are drawn in or who’ll they’ll play in the knockouts.
Surely it’s relevant if a team wants to win a tournament- they have to beat the top teams

18 - lost to Croatia and also lost to Belgium twice
20 - lost to Italy
22 - Lost for France

Qualifying is diluted in recent years with the amount of lower ranked teams that have entered and qualifying shouldn’t be seen as an achievement when you look at the squad

And yes in the past other England managers have also lost to top teams during tournaments

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So what level would you say he was at 🤷‍♂️

he had a good career at decent level clubs , picked up a few medals

Southgate was a good player in the same way many other decent players played in the prem but will never be put up with the level of the top players through the years

In your opinion.

I watched him week in week out from the terraces, home and away, whilst you were getting 5mins on Match of the Day. But I’ll give you a comparison you might be able to relate to. He was no VVD defensively. Was he close to VVD defensively, mmm maybe but equally maybe not, but not a million miles away but damn good. However, in carrying the ball out of defence and distribution he easily beat VVD. And he did it with (relatively) poor players around him compared to what L’pool had at that time.

Streets ahead of Maguire both defensively and coming forward.

By all means slag him off for his managing, and I’ll stand next to you on that one, but in terms of how he played week in week out in a bang average team you’re clueless.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He must have got loads of medals at school for coming last 😉

Winning the group is like being top of the PL after the first game.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
In your opinion.

I watched him week in week out from the terraces, home and away, whilst you were getting 5mins on Match of the Day. But I’ll give you a comparison you might be able to relate to. He was no VVD defensively. Was he close to VVD defensively, mmm maybe but equally maybe not, but not a million miles away but damn good. However, in carrying the ball out of defence and distribution he easily beat VVD. And he did it with (relatively) poor players around him compared to what L’pool had at that time.

Streets ahead of Maguire both defensively and coming forward.

By all means slag him off for his managing, and I’ll stand next to you on that one, but in terms of how he played week in week out in a bang average team you’re clueless.

So why didn’t a big club step in and pick him up ? If someone is that good then any top club in Europe is grabbing him

And I used Maguire because he has had more caps for England than Southgate when you highlighted how many caps Southgate gate - imo it’s not a huge barometer on someone’s ability

I think he was good but I wouldn’t put him amongst the top 20 defenders that been seen in the Prem

But that’s all about opinions