The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is OTT to me, but only because I've no idea the emotion he is under playing for his country. I've not had the opportunity to be one of the greatest footballers of all time, best in your country, played at the top level for over 2 decades with media scrutiny every day of my life. If I was in that position, maybe I would be devastated missing that penalty, especially if I had yet to score in tournament and was desperate to show I can still score the goals.

I also didn't like the way he ended his time at Utd. But, I just accept that although that attitude served us poorly in the end at Utd, his attitude also lead him to become one of the greatest Utd players of all time, and so I will always remember him for that.
Well said that man!! AND we've now got the chance to watch the 'Greatest ever' yet again..... as I say..... Look & learn!!!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only made a comment. I wasn’t expecting it to be forensically dissected!

I don’t totally disagree. But the tears surely should have waited until the end, in the event Portugal had been knocked out. Fifteen minutes to go, there’s still a job to do. He’s looked up to as a leader, the focal point of his team. I’m sorry, but surely a consummate 39 year old professional, who’s been there, seen and done everything, and won some of the biggest honours in the game, can try and keep a lid on his emotions, roll his sleeves up and say to his teammates, come on, let’s get back out there and get this done.

I’ve never seen anything like it from a player of his stature.
Hahahaha...... spoken like a true unemotional, stiff-upper-lipped, Englishman.

Swango1980

Visit site

I don’t totally disagree. But the tears surely should have waited until the end, in the event Portugal had been knocked out. Fifteen minutes to go, there’s still a job to do. He’s looked up to as a leader, the focal point of his team. I’m sorry, but surely a consummate 39 year old professional, who’s been there, seen and done everything, and won some of the biggest honours in the game, can try and keep a lid on his emotions, roll his sleeves up and say to his teammates, come on, let’s get back out there and get this done.

Most people can't really control when they cry. And when it happens, I'm sure many would love to control it to stop, with difficulty.

But, I'm not saying you're definitely incorrect. Maybe Ronaldo had the ability to cry at will. He obviously had very unique talents, so maybe they just don't apply to the football pitch :)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find all the hatred quite hilarious, some of it is actually pretty venomous.
It's not like he's messing with your missus.
Just accept that the man has passion you'll probably never experience.
He's just so ridiculously driven that any kind of failure is just unacceptable to him.
He felt he'd let himself, his fans and his nation down.
I think that's actually an endearing feature.

Yeah, I'm biased, but he is the GOAT.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It was bizarre, but to me it indicates someone who is not in a good place mentally.

He is desperate to do well in what must be his final major tournament. His ego is off the scale, not helped by being indulged by his manager and team mates, allowing him to take every single free kick even from impossible angles.

You could see from his reactions after every missed chance that the prospect of failure is eating him alive.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great effort by Slovenia last night and if that breakaway had been finished or the free kick was better then it could have been so different. I think the pressure of the penalties simply got to them. Like England though Portugal through ugly.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ive seen Ronaldo live more than once, even during his first spell at united. Great player yes. But Messi is better.
You can keep saying it, but it doesn't make it any more true. In your opinion, yes, that is fine. But I'm sure others have seen both live and think the opposite.

I love both players, absolutely amazing. I'd pick Ronaldo if I had to, as if I had to build the perfect footballer on FIFA, I'd build a Ronaldo rather than a Messi. But, in reality, it doesn't really matter, just glad I got to see both play. Wish I could have seen Best and Maradona in their prime

Swango1980

Visit site
It was bizarre, but to me it indicates someone who is not in a good place mentally.

He is desperate to do well in what must be his final major tournament. His ego is off the scale, not helped by being indulged by his manager and team mates, allowing him to take every single free kick even from impossible angles.

You could see from his reactions after every missed chance that the prospect of failure is eating him alive.
Although, regarding the 3 free kicks I've seen him take, they were probably better than any other free kick I've seen in the tournament. Not sure a free kick has been scored yet, so maybe every nation needs to drop their main free kick taker?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The game summed up everything about Ronaldo

He has always been about himself , that’s never been in doubt and the match last night showed that - the fact all the talk is about him just shows it

When Portugal won the Euros after he went off he then continued to make it all about himself

His ego is prob what keeps him going

His is never about the team

Some of the free kicks he takes from ridiculous angles is embarrassing

Portugal would be cruising with someone else up front

As for the Messi vs Ronaldo debate

Mess is the better more naturally talented player

Ronaldo is a better goalscorer

I’ll take Messi all day long for any team

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Portugal are hampered by Ronaldo. I think they are a good team. They have a fabulous midfield dynamo in the little fella Vit.. something. The driving runs from the left back and left wingers were good. Bruno Fernandez is a bit over rated .. Cancello was good, but the Man City guy on the Right da Silva looked slow .. and he is brilliant just was off it last night .
The point is they don’t need Ronaldo they have wasted a generation of exceptional players to feed him as opposed to playing.
Slovenia were really disciplined and yes they were hard to score against. The stand out though was Portugal kept going forward working and looking where as England did not. Our forwards were static ( Kane more static than Ronaldo!!)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although, regarding the 3 free kicks I've seen him take, they were probably better than any other free kick I've seen in the tournament. Not sure a free kick has been scored yet, so maybe every nation needs to drop their main free kick taker?
Ronaldo has scored 1 of his last 60 free kicks at major tournaments - not sure why they keep letting him take them.