The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure he was crying to be the centre of attention?
Hard to believe that so many on here don't understand true 'passion' for their Nation & team mates. The man is a true GREAT. For England there's only Gazza I've seen do that when he got that 2nd Yellow that would keep him out of the next game. For that alone I'd love to see Renaldo get the winner.

Swango1980

Visit site
I just got the feeling that he knew all the cameras would be on him, and he’s milked it for all it’s worth.

I get it if they’d been knocked out. But that’s a remarkable way to react when there’s still a considerable time to play.
I know he loves to be the centre of attention. But I'd have assumed it would be for doing heroic things.

I'd have thought the last thing a person of his ego would want the world to see was of him crying.

I know people hate him, and will look for every possible angle to be critical. But, perhaps scoring and winning for Portugal means more to him than any of us could ever imagine, and when he missed that penalty, he was just devastated that he let his country down. Especially as it could be his last major tournament

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My lad just referred to him as a wet wipe. Brilliantly put.

I’m staggered that a player of his stature should behave like that with fifteen still to go. He just has to be the centre of attention.

thats why for me the messi vs ronaldo debate was never a debate. totally selfish player who plays for himself rather than the team.

was great when they won the euros whilst he was off injured. completely self centred infraction

RichA

Visit site
Hard to believe that so many on here don't understand true 'passion' for their Nation & team mates. The man is a true GREAT. For England there's only Gazza I've seen do that when he got that 2nd Yellow that would keep him out of the next game. For that alone I'd love to see Renaldo get the winner.
If he was that passionate about his nation and teammates he'd have let somebody more competent take the last 58 free kicks. But he didn't. Because it's all about him.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose Gazza must have been crying to be the centre of attention as well :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I know he loves to be the centre of attention. But I'd have assumed it would be for doing heroic things.

I'd have thought the last thing a person of his ego would want the world to see was of him crying.

I know people hate him, and will look for every possible angle to be critical. But, perhaps scoring and winning for Portugal means more to him than any of us could ever imagine, and when he missed that penalty, he was just devastated that he let his country down. Especially as it could be his last major tournament

Perhaps so. But I just find it really OTT.

For those doubting me, there was a time when I loved the fella. I’ve seen him often enough first hand to know what a wonderful player he was, and to an extent still is.

But his antics in his last few months at United left a really bad taste in my mouth, and really took a lot of the gloss off my view of him. I can’t help it, but I’m just not keen any more. His ego is in danger of overtaking his talent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty poor pens from Slovenia sadly. Nowhere near the corners, nice height to save at.
I don't think they were that bad, he's just read them like a book and made three great saves. People always say "oh they weren't in the top corner" like it's that easy to step up and just bang it in the top corner. You run the risk of hitting the bar and being remembered in your home country as a penalty misser for the rest of your life. If the keeper saves it it's not as bad! (Unless it was a truly pathetic penalty like Southgate's in '96.)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think they were that bad, he's just read them like a book and made three great saves. People always say "oh they weren't in the top corner" like it's that easy to step up and just bang it in the top corner. You run the risk of hitting the bar and being remembered in your home country as a penalty missed for the rest of your life. If the keeper saves it it's not as bad! (Unless it was a truly pathetic penalty like Southgate's in '96.)

There are 4 corners to the goals. Look at the Portuguese pens. Tucked in against the post.
Telegraphed and at a brilliant height to save. He has to guess the right way, but the run ups easily showed which way they were going to hit it.
Pretty poor sadly.

Swango1980

Visit site
Perhaps so. But I just find it really OTT.

For those doubting me, there was a time when I loved the fella. I’ve seen him often enough first hand to know what a wonderful player he was, and to an extent still is.

But his antics in his last few months at United left a really bad taste in my mouth, and really took a lot of the gloss off my view of him. I can’t help it, but I’m just not keen any more. His ego is in danger of overtaking his talent.
It is OTT to me, but only because I've no idea the emotion he is under playing for his country. I've not had the opportunity to be one of the greatest footballers of all time, best in your country, played at the top level for over 2 decades with media scrutiny every day of my life. If I was in that position, maybe I would be devastated missing that penalty, especially if I had yet to score in tournament and was desperate to show I can still score the goals.

I also didn't like the way he ended his time at Utd. But, I just accept that although that attitude served us poorly in the end at Utd, his attitude also lead him to become one of the greatest Utd players of all time, and so I will always remember him for that.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It is OTT to me, but only because I've no idea the emotion he is under playing for his country. I've not had the opportunity to be one of the greatest footballers of all time, best in your country, played at the top level for over 2 decades with media scrutiny every day of my life. If I was in that position, maybe I would be devastated missing that penalty, especially if I had yet to score in tournament and was desperate to show I can still score the goals.

I also didn't like the way he ended his time at Utd. But, I just accept that although that attitude served us poorly in the end at Utd, his attitude also lead him to become one of the greatest Utd players of all time, and so I will always remember him for that.

I only made a comment. I wasn’t expecting it to be forensically dissected!

I don’t totally disagree. But the tears surely should have waited until the end, in the event Portugal had been knocked out. Fifteen minutes to go, there’s still a job to do. He’s looked up to as a leader, the focal point of his team. I’m sorry, but surely a consummate 39 year old professional, who’s been there, seen and done everything, and won some of the biggest honours in the game, can try and keep a lid on his emotions, roll his sleeves up and say to his teammates, come on, let’s get back out there and get this done.

I’ve never seen anything like it from a player of his stature.