The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

I may be wrong here - and I know someone will tell me if so..

But I thought there was a rule about not entering a competition without it first being agreed with other clubs? Like the club world cup etc, they get special permission to do that and its signed off before the season starts

They hadn’t actually entered any comp etc yet - lots of legal loopholes

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I would have like to see the words or the intention from these six clubs to make a substantial voluntary donation to grass roots on top of this "fine". Plus maybe reducing season ticket prices as a "sorry" to the fans.

What, an owner that hasn't raised season ticket prices in 10 years is now supposed to lower them as a sorry? I'm fine with him keeping the season ticket price that I've already paid and the apology he's already issued, thanks all the same.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I had briefly forgotten, but I recall Euro 2016 being one of the poorest in memory, at least partially because of that change in format. Imagine winning no group games but then somehow winning the tournament. That was so poor.

They're ruining the World Cup as well of course, as that will have 40 odd teams soon or something stupid. Don't know why they can't just leave a format alone when it works. More teams in the Euros so we can have the likes of North Macedonia and Slovakia in there and only a third of the teams actually go out of the groups. Pointless.
To be honest, pretty much every club and international tournament has been ruined by the respective football bodies. Binning off the UEFA & Cup Winners Cup (& bringing in the Europa) and opening up the Champions (Cup) League to non-winners was the first notice, which lessened the FA & League Cups, whereas opening up the number of spots available in the EC & Euros has meant that teams can play safe & still get through to the later stages.
The amount of money available has pretty much buggered up football

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have like to see the words or the intention from these six clubs to make a substantial voluntary donation to grass roots on top of this "fine". Plus maybe reducing season ticket prices as a "sorry" to the fans.
I might be wrong but think these clubs already help grass root football quite a lot.
The money is not a problem it’s the damage to the reputation brought on by greedy owners.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, pretty much every club and international tournament has been ruined by the respective football bodies. Binning off the UEFA & Cup Winners Cup (& bringing in the Europa) and opening up the Champions (Cup) League to non-winners was the first notice, which lessened the FA & League Cups, whereas opening up the number of spots available in the EC & Euros has meant that teams can play safe & still get through to the later stages.
The amount of money available has pretty much buggered up football
Yes CL is boring until the knock out .
Should revert back imo, but to much money involved now.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I might be wrong but think these clubs already help grass root football quite a lot.
The money is not a problem it’s the damage to the reputation brought on by greedy owners.

You make a good point - grassroots must be pretty strong these days, we are developing some extremely good players in England/ Britain at the moment! Especially Right backs :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You make a good point - grassroots must be pretty strong these days, we are developing some extremely good players in England/ Britain at the moment! Especially Right backs :ROFLMAO:
No kids must want to play CB then.
We need to invest in a few more Rios , VVDs and Bobby Moore’s. ( other great CB are not avaliable):(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Clutching at straws there mate :ROFLMAO: You signed the agreement to join it - thats enough for me!

A further agreement was struck on new rules to prevent such a breakaway from happening again. In future each club agreeing to enter a competition without the consent of the league would pay a fine of £25m and receive a 30-point deduction. Under the terms of the ESL, the six – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham – had planned to continue playing in their domestic leagues as well as in the invitation-only competition.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-clubs-agree-to-pay-20m-to-grassroots-causes

So if new rules are required to prevent this happening in the future, it suggests such rules either weren't in place already, or the clubs involved didn't breach them; if they had then the Premier League wouldn't be relying on goodwill payments, they'd be throwing the book at them.

Remind us who exactly is clutching at straws here... :unsure: :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

restricting entry to the CL to champions would be a start. It's farcical that we have just had a "Champions League" final featuring 2 clubs from the same country, neither of who qualified as champions.

That ship sailed a long time ago

The CL changed to stop all the top teams creating a Super League - it’s not going to go back to “champions” only

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Coaching in grassroots is getting better. Primarily because coach education from the FA improved drastically a few years ago. Along with the change to smaller format games and removing leagues for younger ages.

There is still a long way to go though. And I can see all the hard work being undone as the FA have moved the Level 1 online rather than face to face.

That said their is still a long way to go. In my opinion there needs to be a review of the formats again to look at introducing 3v3 and 4v4 into mini soccer and not going 11v11 till under 17/18

This will firstly help keep more kids in the game. And also create an environment where player development and entertainment it the number 1 priority.

Far too many coaches in youth football are still more concerned about winning and their own ego, than they are about coaching kids to develop. Its shameful the number of times every game you hear a coach shout 'get rid' or give praise to a child for just booting a ball out. When they should be encouraging children to keep the ball and take risk not shouting at them for giving the ball away.

Parents also need to take responsibility. I can't imagine why anyone would take their child to an activity that is supposed to be fun and find it acceptable for them to be shouted at for making mistakes.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes CL is boring until the knock out .
Should revert back imo, but to much money involved now.
Money has pretty much ruined the game
restricting entry to the CL to champions would be a start. It's farcical that we have just had a "Champions League" final featuring 2 clubs from the same country, neither of who qualified as champions.
It would definitely make it more interesting if they changed it so only the league champions plus the winners of the countries cup competitions get in - it would certainly bring back the prestige of the FA & League Cups and make the big teams respect it a bit more (you could have a playoff between the FA & League Cup winners to see who gets the 2nd entry).
I appreciate that there is zero chance of this happening though

D

Deleted member 15344

And because the big teams wanted more money

Welcome to modern business in football - that’s what happens when the Premier League started and Sky bought the rights . The big teams wanted the money to be able to buy the big players that the fans want to see to be able to win the trophies that bring in the money - it’s a circle of money that all are involved in

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you take the Champions only out of one of the domestic cups and go back to European cup champions only.
Home and away knock out. Why could it not work?
I would rather watch that than some meaningless CL game.
2/3/4 th place go in a mini league in Europe ARC ( Also Rans Cup)
Cup winners cup. FA a only .
That’s five places in Europe that’s enough imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you take the Champions only out of one of the domestic cups and go back to European cup champions only.
Home and away knock out. Why could it not work?
I would rather watch that than some meaningless CL game.
2/3/4 th place go in a mini league in Europe ARC ( Also Rans Cup)
Cup winners cup. FA a only .
That’s five places in Europe that’s enough imo.
You are going back 30 years - the game has moved on from then whether we like it or not - the clubs aren’t going to go back to how it was before the CL

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

The flow of cash in football is big problem and has been for years. Grass roots get some, lower leagues get some. Nowhere near enough though. If you have clubs like Bury going out of business when a top player's weekly wage would easily sort that, that tells me not enough is being distributed. No-one's fault, it's just how it's geared. Only a complete reset of the model will make it fairer, but that really won't happen.