The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a fan of the 1990 England shirts (especially the home shirt), immortalised by the World in Motion video and Gazza's tears.

But £30 for that! It looks like something you'd get in a market stall for a fiver.
Well if I wanted a genuine one from that time it was 50-60 quid in most places and I wasn't willing to put that much outlay down for something that's 20 years old, ha.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a fan of the 1990 England shirts (especially the home shirt), immortalised by the World in Motion video and Gazza's tears.

But £30 for that! It looks like something you'd get in a market stall for a fiver.

Sorry, but nothing beats the 1982 shirt.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some responses to this from a football chat room;

Won't stop them from freezing the frame at different times, depending on the club

They'll still then have a way to fudge it to suit the answer they want

If both lines are made thicker, how does change anything?

Last bit of that article is farcical.
Decisions were less consistent...but at least they were faster!

It doesn't, just gives them a "well, we adjusted it to make it better" excuse
It'll still be the same (description removed to avoid a royal Fraggering) at Stockley Park making mistakes week in, week out

Still the same thickness of referees adjudicating though unfortunately

Didn't know you posted on that site Pete... ;)

Agree on the lot above, especially the freezing the frames at different times depending on how much the ref likes/dislikes that club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it has plenty of faults but do we really believe the officials are intentionally stopping the replays on different frames to favour certain teams!? That's tinfoil hat stuff. :LOL:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I know it has plenty of faults but do we really believe the officials are intentionally stopping the replays on different frames to favour certain teams!? That's tinfoil hat stuff. :LOL:

Given access to all the stills it wouldn't take long to prove I'm afraid. There are simply too many instances of incorrect decisions (not only offsides) that VAR should either have sorted out one come to a different conclusion on. Whether it is corruption or ineptitude is a harder matter to determine but if you think that there is no favouritism in football then you're the one wearing the tin hat.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nost...ry-refereeing-mistake-chelsea-barcelona-2009/

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I've cleared the diary for the England matches and find myself getting sucked into the thoughts we might win this one.

Not quite so intense as previous tournaments and no wall chart pinned up in forlorn hope but...55 years of hurt never stopped me dreaming!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I've cleared the diary for the England matches and find myself getting sucked into the thoughts we might win this one.

Not quite so intense as previous tournaments and no wall chart pinned up in forlorn hope but...55 years of hurt never stopped me dreaming!
It's the hope that kills you. Personally I think France, Portugal & Belgium are all better than us. If it goes like I expect it to, we win the group but lose the first knockout game against Portugal, or maybe Germany. The draw is against us this time. Unless we come 2nd in the group, then we lose in the quarters against France.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's the hope that kills you. Personally I think France, Portugal & Belgium are all better than us. If it goes like I expect it to, we win the group but lose the first knockout game against Portugal, or maybe Germany. The draw is against us this time. Unless we come 2nd in the group, then we lose in the quarters against France.
Anything can happen in a one off game.

Everyone was better than Greece!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given access to all the stills it wouldn't take long to prove I'm afraid. There are simply too many instances of incorrect decisions (not only offsides) that VAR should either have sorted out one come to a different conclusion on. Whether it is corruption or ineptitude is a harder matter to determine but if you think that there is no favouritism in football then you're the one wearing the tin hat.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nost...ry-refereeing-mistake-chelsea-barcelona-2009/
I'm sorry I just can't believe that. Big clubs have all had plenty go against them. Your example of a game that occurred a decade before VAR hasn't persuaded me either. ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anything can happen in a one off game.

Everyone was better than Greece!
Obviously it's possible, but given how poor our defence and keeper are, we'd have to make the most of our attack and go out and score 2 or 3 goals against some good sides - that's just not the Southgate way. That Greece team had a very well-organised defence and were able to scrape 1-0s.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm sorry I just can't believe that. Big clubs have all had plenty go against them. Your example of a game that occurred a decade before VAR hasn't persuaded me either. ;)

The point being made, as I'm sure you are well aware, is referees showing favouritism. After an all-English final in 2008, UEFA were staring down the barrel of a repeat unless Barcelona went through. And surprise surprise, a match in which pretty much every major decision went Barcelona's way. If you're having a bad day at the office you screw up decisions in both directions; when it's a one way street, something else is going on, especially when most refs will try to "square up" any obvious screw ups. And these were that obvious that you didn't need VAR to sort them out, as Dermot Gallagher made clear when he reviewed them.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive spent many years criticising my club for destroying asset values. Think ive just found the definitive quote on it:

Since 2013, Arsenal made over 30 FIRST TEAM signings (excluding free agents) and are yet to make a profit on the sale of a single one of them. The last 2 players Arsenal signed for money and made a profit on was Giroud (signed 2012) and Chamberlain (signed 2011).

Wow, when you know somethings bad, really bad, but dont realise just how bad!!!!

(This obv excludes home grown players or those signed before so our only successes when dealing with Everton arent counted ;) )

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think Turkey may cause one or two upsets.