The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree. Just a bunch of over paid Prima Donna's.
Can't defend. Can't win the ball, need either a lot of luck or a miracle to get as far as the QF's.
Can't rely on a Russian linesman any more because of goal line technology.
At least no Iceland this time to freeze England out.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You’re a right it’s a non issue but it’s half the issue with England - everything gets blown up and sub conscious team bias.

But it is a issue you have a squad of players and they have to get on and have no disruption during the tournament, you only have to have seen C/Ls face to know that it’s not good for team morale.

D

Deleted member 15344

But it is a issue you have a squad of players and they have to get on and have no disruption during the tournament, you only have to have seen C/Ls face to know that it’s not good for team morale.

I suspect that it will have zero effect on any morale and not disrupt the squad in any shape or form

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I always feel like the "Its coming home" should be reserved for World Cups, even though the song was for Euro 96
It’s about the tournament coming to the home of football. Trophies are going to Germany or Spain ;-)

Actually, I put my outsider punt on the Netherlands this time around.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen how much the current England strips are to buy? £70 is quite steep in my opinion! Villa home kit was £57 rrp this season in comparison!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-england-home-shirt-2020-371102#colcode=37110201
Very steep, unfortunately same as Spurs shirts these days. The last Spurs shirt I bought I got it for 50 because I happened to be in airport so it was duty/tax free in JD Sports, haha. I'm not sure I'll ever buy another one now they've breached the £70 barrier. :eek:

I've never owned an England shirt in my life, I kind of want to get one, but I certainly wouldn't pay that. I'd be more likely to buy one of those replica retro ones, like a Euro 96 or World Cup 98 one for example.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Very steep, unfortunately same as Spurs shirts these days. The last Spurs shirt I bought I got it for 50 because I happened to be in airport so it was duty/tax free in JD Sports, haha. I'm not sure I'll ever buy another one now they've breached the £70 barrier. :eek:

I've never owned an England shirt in my life, I kind of want to get one, but I certainly wouldn't pay that. I'd be more likely to buy one of those replica retro ones, like a Euro 96 or World Cup 98 one for example.

I think ill be going retro too! £30 on average for a replica.. not bad at all! £70 is just madness.

In other news - another day - another link for Grealish - this time to Man City! :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been having a look at this: https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020tournamentpredictor/main

It seems we're in another situation where it's better to finish 2nd in the group. If we win the group we get Portugal/Germany/France (whoever came 2nd out of them). If we come 2nd in the group, it's most likely Poland. It's because of the bloody stupid format where some third placed teams go through, that means 2nd place in our group plays 2nd place in Spain's group. I wish they've have just left it as 16 teams. That whole Por/Ger/Fra group of death loses any glamour when in all likelihood all three will go through.

sunshine

Visit site
I've just been having a look at this: https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020tournamentpredictor/main

It seems we're in another situation where it's better to finish 2nd in the group. If we win the group we get Portugal/Germany/France (whoever came 2nd out of them). If we come 2nd in the group, it's most likely Poland. It's because of the bloody stupid format where some third placed teams go through, that means 2nd place in our group plays 2nd place in Spain's group. I wish they've have just left it as 16 teams. That whole Por/Ger/Fra group of death loses any glamour when in all likelihood all three will go through.

They had a great format for the Euros, but have now ruined it. It's ridiculous that teams finishing 3rd in a group of 4 can qualify. It makes the group stage - which let's face it is more than half the tournament - a complete waste of time. Northern Ireland lost 2 out of 3 group games and went through. Portugal didn't win any of their group games, but still progressed and obviously did very well in the end!

I'd prefer it if they expanded to 32 teams.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They had a great format for the Euros, but have now ruined it. It's ridiculous that teams finishing 3rd in a group of 4 can qualify. It makes the group stage - which let's face it is more than half the tournament - a complete waste of time. Northern Ireland lost 2 out of 3 group games and went through. Portugal didn't win any of their group games, but still progressed and obviously did very well in the end!

I'd prefer it if they expanded to 32 teams.
Yeah, I had briefly forgotten, but I recall Euro 2016 being one of the poorest in memory, at least partially because of that change in format. Imagine winning no group games but then somehow winning the tournament. That was so poor.

They're ruining the World Cup as well of course, as that will have 40 odd teams soon or something stupid. Don't know why they can't just leave a format alone when it works. More teams in the Euros so we can have the likes of North Macedonia and Slovakia in there and only a third of the teams actually go out of the groups. Pointless.