The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently Ben White has officially taken Trent's spot in the squad. Can't see the point when he's behind Stones, Mings, Coady & Walker for a back three spot even if Maguire isn't fit. I'd have definitely taken JWP and I think he's made a mistake there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't know that he didn't.
According to some newspapers, Southgate has has words with Henderson over the penalty fiasco.
Even in his post-match interview it was clear he wasn't best pleased with him.

I think he already knew his first 11 before these two games and they've pretty much been a waste of time because he rested most of the first team players anyway. He was just using them to look at the also-rans.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely the manager should have told the team who the penalty takers were? List 2/3 in case of the main ones being off the field. This just shows how unorganised the squad is at the moment. 3 players who started last night aren’t even in the Euros squad, what does that tell you? Southgate hasn’t got a clue what his starting 11 is for next weekend and these last 2 matches have taught him nothing

In the in the interview afterwords Southgate clearly thought C/L should have taken the penalty and you could tell he wasn’t happy that Henderson took it, I thought it was very poor from Henderson it’s one thing taken a penalty in a tournament but to take it off another player in a friendly when you shouldn’t even be taking them is selfish and poor leadership.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently Ben White has officially taken Trent's spot in the squad. Can't see the point when he's behind Stones, Mings, Coady & Walker for a back three spot even if Maguire isn't fit. I'd have definitely taken JWP and I think he's made a mistake there.

If he has then what the hell .. jwp can play right back lol plus Ben White? Isn't Godfrey a lot better?

If Ben White is going sounds more to me like Maguire is miles off

As utd fans I know said .. if he was near fitness he would have played the final for them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he has then what the hell .. jwp can play right back lol plus Ben White? Isn't Godfrey a lot better?

If Ben White is going sounds more to me like Maguire is miles off

As utd fans I know said .. if he was near fitness he would have played the final for them
Agree with you. I can't see Maguire playing much of a part in the tournament at all. If it was still squads of 23, he wouldn't be there, simple as.

I also agree with the earlier consensus on Hendo. As he was wearing the armband he saw the opportunity to try and get himself an England goal from the spot in a friendly. Had no thoughts of putting the game to bed at 2-0 by letting a goalscorer take it, it was 100% selfish. And people seem to think he's one of the "leaders" in the squad - not sure about that anymore.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agree with you. I can't see Maguire playing much of a part in the tournament at all. If it was still squads of 23, he wouldn't be there, simple as.

I also agree with the earlier consensus on Hendo. As he was wearing the armband he saw the opportunity to try and get himself an England goal from the spot in a friendly. Had no thoughts of putting the game to bed at 2-0 by letting a goalscorer take it, it was 100% selfish. And people seem to think he's one of the "leaders" in the squad - not sure about that anymore.

Bad call, but its not like it was an important game! Will be Kane on all penos when the Euros start

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That's not the point. It's about the character of our so-called 'leaders' in the dressing room. In our last prep game he's serving his own interest instead of thinking about the team.

Oh well, if he banged it in no one would be moaning. It really is a non issue, its more concerning that Gareth seems to have lost the control

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh well, if he banged it in no one would be moaning. It really is a non issue, its more concerning that Gareth seems to have lost the control

You’re a right it’s a non issue but it’s half the issue with England - everything gets blown up and sub conscious team bias.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I never understand how players don’t know who the penalty taker is,even if players have gone off they should all still know.
Henderson comes across as a bit of a arrogant prat IMO.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You’re a right it’s a non issue but it’s half the issue with England - everything gets blown up and sub conscious team bias.

I like to try and remain impartial with England. I dont think Mings should be near the first team, and slightly fear for us if he starts if im honest. Whilst he can save you a game with his brilliant athleticism getting back for a last ditch clearance or tackle, he's also liable to really mess up at least once a game :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never understand how players don’t know who the penalty taker is,even if players have gone off they should all still know.
Henderson comes across as a bit of a arrogant prat IMO.
I'm pretty certain they do know and if they don't then I'd be questioning either their professionalism or that of the set up. If someone goes against the designated taker then I'd expect the manager to go demented with them. It is not acceptable. We had it at Everton last year with Richarlison and it did not go down well.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Villa confirm agreement made for Buendia. Great signing for us!

Ive said it before - I'll say it again - our owners mean business!

Cant wait to see if the James Ward-prowse rumours lead to anything!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to try and remain impartial with England. I dont think Mings should be near the first team, and slightly fear for us if he starts if im honest. Whilst he can save you a game with his brilliant athleticism getting back for a last ditch clearance or tackle, he's also liable to really mess up at least once a game :ROFLMAO:
That only puts him level with all our other centre backs to be honest.

D

Deleted member 29109

Agreed. I can't see why Mings is that at all. Ben White is a far better player in my opinion.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agreed. I can't see why Mings is that at all. Ben White is a far better player in my opinion.

Not seen enough of White to agree or disagree - covid's fault as im usually a home and away fan. You quite quickly notice the players that have special talent when you watch live football week in/ week out. Brighton arent known for their defence but they did keep 12 clean sheets this year, a solid stat for a low down club in the table! 3 more than last year when they didnt have White and he was at leeds on loan!

Mings has been part of a really solid defence at Villa this year, probably why he's getting more recognition in terms of appearances.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's just depressing to think that not so long ago we had it so good with Terry, Rio, Campbell, Ledley if he hadn't have been crocked - a player like Carragher couldn't get near the team, whereas if he was playing nowadays he'd probably be an automatic starter. And we still never won anything with that lot, let alone the muppets we have there now.