The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was an embarrassment, he should be ashamed.
Not a good way for a captain to engender respect from the rest of the squad.
Yes probably only been on 10 mins .
He dosnt take them for Liverpool ,what’s he thinking .
Good job our keeper saved his embarrassment late on.

I honestly think he’s giving the starting players a rest before the tournament starts proper.
The ones who played today were on trial for a place and for me it was JWP.

D

Deleted member 15344

He's a senior player and the captain, he must surely lead by example and put his team's aims first.
I was stunned by his lack of leadership.

He was captain and decided to step up and take the penalty - he missed it , it’s not the end of the world and it’s certainly not an embarrassment or should be a ashamed- footballers live by their choices and as a leader he wanted to step. That’s just football and the sport.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was captain and decided to step up and take the penalty - he missed it , it’s not the end of the world and it’s certainly not an embarrassment or should be a ashamed- footballers live by their choices and as a leader he wanted to step. That’s just football and the sport.

I'm sure it was just a greed thing, he having never scored for England.
It was not about 'stepping up', in my opinion.
You may well disagree, that is your right.

D

Deleted member 15344

Greed thing - sorry but that’s not Henderson , never has been and never will be , never been selfish at any stage. He missed a penalty ffs and he took it because both the other penalty takers were off the pitch. Stop looking for something that isn’t there just because of who his club is

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Greed thing - sorry but that’s not Henderson , never has been and never will be , never been selfish at any stage. He missed a penalty ffs and he took it because both the other penalty takers were off the pitch. Stop looking for something that isn’t there just because of who his club is
He says, defending the unfit player who made both an error of judgment and skill who just so happens to play for the team he supports...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Henderson is pure greed.

He shouldn't even be there .. he hasn't played since Feb

The world cup isn't that far away he will be 32 so hardly his last tournament

He should have pulled out and let us have someone fit enough to do the job ..

D

Deleted member 15344

Henderson is pure greed.

He shouldn't even be there .. he hasn't played since Feb

The world cup isn't that far away he will be 32 so hardly his last tournament

He should have pulled out and let us have someone fit enough to do the job ..

He didn’t pick himself - the manager did and clearly the manager wants him there

And it’s the same with people like Maguire and Rashford who have been injured - the manager clearly feels they have the right to be there and each player clearly feels they have something to give.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I tend to agree. The time to step up is in a crunch game in a tournament or during a qualifying campaign, not a pre-tournament friendly. This was not about Henderson stepping up, it struck me as being a personal hurdle he needed to overcome.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Stop ignoring the facts just because of who his club is.

D

Deleted member 15344

Stop ignoring the facts just because of who his club is.
fact -he was captain , fact - both penalty takers were off the pitch and the captain took it - there are your facts ,imagine a man Utd England fan calling him greedy an embarrassment and should be ashamed ?.

He missed a penalty in a friendly - the overreacting is pathetic

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
fact -he was captain , fact - both penalty takers were off the pitch and the captain took it - there are your facts ,imagine a man Utd England fan calling him greedy an embarrassment and should be ashamed ?.

I'm very confident in my appraisal of the facts.
If he thought he was the best England player to take the penalty then he's been proven very wrong, very wrong indeed.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
But hasn’t Calvert-Lewin taken, and scored, a couple of penalties for England in previous friendlies? That was my primary concern with Henderson taking it. On the eve of a major tournament surely the thing to do would have been to allow Calvert-Lewin a confidence boosting goal from the penalty spot. I just think Henderson taking it was a really odd decision, especially as C-L is more likely to feature in the Euros than Henderson is.

D

Deleted member 15344

But hasn’t Calvert-Lewin taken, and scored, a couple of penalties for England in previous friendlies? That was my primary concern with Henderson taking it. On the eve of a major tournament surely the thing to do would have been to allow Calvert-Lewin a confidence boosting goal from the penalty spot. I just think Henderson taking it was a really odd decision, especially as C-L is more likely to feature in the Euros than Henderson is.

One of his first goals was a penalty I believe

At the end of the day the issue isn’t with the decision - Henderson took the penalty and missed , DCL prob should have taken it but it’s the “overreacting” by his own supposed England fans , but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when you look back at history with England fans and how they treat players .it’s tame here - Twitter isn’t pretty

And I would say Henderson is more likely to feature than DCL who will bench warm each game because Kane will play every minute

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He missed a penalty in a friendly - the overreacting is pathetic

Ashamed ?? give your head a wobble

You take a pen off someone you must score

Otherwise you look a complete idiot

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ashamed ?? give your head a wobble

You take a pen off someone you must score

Otherwise you look a complete idiot
Surely the manager should have told the team who the penalty takers were? List 2/3 in case of the main ones being off the field. This just shows how unorganised the squad is at the moment. 3 players who started last night aren’t even in the Euros squad, what does that tell you? Southgate hasn’t got a clue what his starting 11 is for next weekend and these last 2 matches have taught him nothing

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the manager should have told the team who the penalty takers were? List 2/3 in case of the main ones being off the field. This just shows how unorganised the squad is at the moment. 3 players who started last night aren’t even in the Euros squad, what does that tell you? Southgate hasn’t got a clue what his starting 11 is for next weekend and these last 2 matches have taught him nothing

We don't know that he didn't.
According to some newspapers, Southgate has has words with Henderson over the penalty fiasco.