The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reading the article I'm not so sure;

Portugal's cabinet affairs minister Mariana Vieira da Silva said a set of rules had been put in place for those fans attending the final.

"Those who come to the final of the Champions League will come and return on the same day, with a test done, in a bubble situation, on charter flights," she said.

"There will be two fan zones and from there they will be moved to the stadium and from the stadium to the airport, being in Portugal less than 24 hours.

"Obviously those coming by plane [to be in Porto while the match is on but do not actually go the stadium] will comply with the established rules and security measures will be put in place as happened in Lisbon last year."

She said the restrictions put in place were to ensure that Covid rates remain low in Portugal.

Vieira da Silva said that the local health authority was in charge of selecting seats for fans to ensure social distancing and that tickets were non-transferable.

If they are that bothered about keeping the Covid rates low, tell UEFA to host it at Wembley.

was only going on what I saw the chief sports writer for the times Martin Ziegler post on twitter earlier

does sound farcical thats for sure but got to keep the delegates and sponsors happy at all costs

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Reading the article I'm not so sure;

Portugal's cabinet affairs minister Mariana Vieira da Silva said a set of rules had been put in place for those fans attending the final.

"Those who come to the final of the Champions League will come and return on the same day, with a test done, in a bubble situation, on charter flights," she said.

"There will be two fan zones and from there they will be moved to the stadium and from the stadium to the airport, being in Portugal less than 24 hours.

"Obviously those coming by plane [to be in Porto while the match is on but do not actually go the stadium] will comply with the established rules and security measures will be put in place as happened in Lisbon last year."

She said the restrictions put in place were to ensure that Covid rates remain low in Portugal.

Vieira da Silva said that the local health authority was in charge of selecting seats for fans to ensure social distancing and that tickets were non-transferable.

If they are that bothered about keeping the Covid rates low, tell UEFA to host it at Wembley.

BIM, I don’t know how to tell you this nicely, but common sense has no part to play in a football thread. Especially when it comes UEFA and fans. Am so close to a rant ?

D

Deleted member 16999

The arrangements for fans in Porto;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57106803

They will effectively be held under arrest in Portugal & held to ransom by the airlines.

I didn't notice any mention in the article of the arrangements for UEFA's mates...
I totally agree UEFA as an organisation needs sorting out, but these “mates” as you call them are mainly the Sponsors and Broadcasters who plough millions in to the CL and UEFA are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if they don’t meet their obligations they have to pay compensation, possibly millions back to them, plus risking any future contracts.

How these people get to the venue from their residence to the Final is not all down to UEFA.

What would of been good is their “mates” refusing their allocations.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I totally agree UEFA as an organisation needs sorting out, but these “mates” as you call them are mainly the Sponsors and Broadcasters who plough millions in to the CL and UEFA are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if they don’t meet their obligations they have to pay compensation, possibly millions back to them, plus risking any future contracts.

How these people get to the venue from their residence to the Final is not all down to UEFA.

What would of been good is their “mates” refusing their allocations.

We're in a world pandemic; for one year use a British domestic broadcaster to provide a feed to all the countries who would normally send their own broadcasters; have all the native broadcasters provide commentary over the supplied pictures from a domestic studio; and have the Sponsors play by the rules & follow the same rules as the fans. If there was ever a year for the Sponsors to all be in this together with the fans this was it, but UEFA appear to have put the Sponsors first. If they were half as concerned as they claim to be about fans, they should have brokered a better solution.

Apparently the Government wouldn't bend to UEFA's demands to ignore the regulations which is why they went to Portugal.

D

Deleted member 15344

We're in a world pandemic; for one year use a British domestic broadcaster to provide a feed to all the countries who would normally send their own broadcasters; have all the native broadcasters provide commentary over the supplied pictures from a domestic studio; and have the Sponsors play by the rules & follow the same rules as the fans. If there was ever a year for the Sponsors to all be in this together with the fans this was it, but UEFA appear to have put the Sponsors first. If they were half as concerned as they claim to be about fans, they should have brokered a better solution.

Apparently the Government wouldn't bend to UEFA's demands to ignore the regulations which is why they went to Portugal.

Far too much common sense there as well as looking after thr supporters and UEFA have clearly shown they lack in both areas.

And no doubt now airlines etc are taking full advantage of those fans that do want to travel there

D

Deleted member 16999

You maybe right, but we don’t know the contractual side of this, whose to say they haven’t come under pressure from the Sponsors etc and commonsense has never been used when it comes to UEFA.

As for the Government not bending, that’s just rumour at the moment isn’t it?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Far too much common sense there as well as looking after thr supporters and UEFA have clearly shown they lack in both areas.

And no doubt now airlines etc are taking full advantage of those fans that do want to travel there

That won't be this one then; having seen some of the eye watering prices that the "budget" airlines were asking, I'm not prepared pay what will be asked for what will be in relative terms a sub-standard experience.

Shame, I'd just topped up the Oyster card as well.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
You maybe right, but we don’t know the contractual side of this, whose to say they haven’t come under pressure from the Sponsors etc and commonsense has never been used when it comes to UEFA.

As for the Government not bending, that’s just rumour at the moment isn’t it?

If they hadn't written up their contracts to cover the possibility of issues like this then UEFA are even more stupid than I give them credit for.

The Government not bending has been reported by at least one broadcaster so I don't doubt it's correct. And if they did, as much as it's irritating that it's probably cost me a ticket, I can only applaud them for refusing to be blackmailed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Thankfully looks like the game is going ahead - full strength UTD team

Nice to see the fans outside with their chants ?