The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We saw in the Euros how dangerous dodgy pitches can be for players. It's madness. The value of these players and putting them out on surfaces not fit for purpose.

As has been said though - it's all about the money...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching the Olympics turns me off footie even more. They still have a sense of fairness and the simple pleasure of being the best they can be. Lots of "old fashioned" sporting gestures on show every single day. Very little cheating on show whereas we see multiple cases of it every single professional football game.

Swango1980

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
I did read that the pitch that game was played on was grown/laid specifically for the game and was taken up straight after.

Given the innocuous nature of both injuries it does make you wonder if it played a part. I stress I haven’t seen the actual injuries being sustained, just read reports relating to them, which suggested neither player was subject to or involved in a challenge at the time.
Always disappointing, but maybe it will focus the minds of the board on any other signings required in the rest of the window. We still have a lot of players that need to be moved on, and areas to strengthen.

On a positive note, apparently it was an excellent performance last night from Utd. Only seen 10 minutes of highlights, but it looked good, and from what I've heard from others it was very positive (I'd have watched it if it wasn't on at 3am). Yeah, just pre season, so it doesn't count for much. But at least glad there seems to be some energy and good attacking play. Amad has been very bright in pre season, so I'm guessing we'll see more of him this season if he remains fit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always disappointing, but maybe it will focus the minds of the board on any other signings required in the rest of the window. We still have a lot of players that need to be moved on, and areas to strengthen.

On a positive note, apparently it was an excellent performance last night from Utd. Only seen 10 minutes of highlights, but it looked good, and from what I've heard from others it was very positive (I'd have watched it if it wasn't on at 3am). Yeah, just pre season, so it doesn't count for much. But at least glad there seems to be some energy and good attacking play. Amad has been very bright in pre season, so I'm guessing we'll see more of him this season if he remains fit.
Seems Rashford injured. How was he playing? Does he seem more engaged or was he going through the motions like he was in the PL last season

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Seen that Arsenal keep playing all their main players in the pre season matches so far ,

Really stranger to take all those youngsters on pre season tours and not play them

He had players like Odegaard playing the full 90

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seen that Arsenal keep playing all their main players in the pre season matches so far ,

Really stranger to take all those youngsters on pre season tours and not play them

He had players like Odegaard playing the full 90
Isn't that what the friendlies are for - get the first team ready. It'll be a good learning experience for the youngsters to be around the first team squad

Swango1980

Visit site
Seems Rashford injured. How was he playing? Does he seem more engaged or was he going through the motions like he was in the PL last season
Sadly only watching the highlights makes it impossible to judge. He looked to be involved in some good moves, and looked lively in those moments. But, wouldn't want to fall into the trap of judging him by highlights. Like I've said before, the Match of the Day mob will sometimes view Rashford as an excellent player, as he is involved in a few dangerous moments. But, if you watch the whole game, he has often been pretty awful. That being said, I think those that watched it have generally given him a fairly positive review, and he worked well throughout.

As I said, Amad looked very good and that was very much backed up by those who rated the match. Casemiro was excellent, which again makes me wonder about his future. Will he go, or will he stay and hopefully remain fit, and be the player of 2 years ago?

Young Harry Amass (17) at left back looks to be an interesting player to emerge this pre season. He played well going forward, not sure about defensively, but got good reviews none the less. I'm guessing he might get a loan this season to get experience, but given our issues at left-back, there might be potential for him in that spot in the next year or 2?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder if there is a medical issue behind the scenes with Klopp. I hope not naturally but seems a strange decision to initially take a break and now seemingly retiring
Or how about you take is as nothing more than he wants a different path now and has enough money for what he wants in life.
Why does there have to be people constantly speculating on social media all the time?

Swango1980

Visit site
Or how about you take is as nothing more than he wants a different path now and has enough money for what he wants in life.
Why does there have to be people constantly speculating on social media all the time?
Probably little difference to speculating down the pub with a group of mates. Most of the time none of us are in the inner circle and have the full knowledge on a lot of things, so we simply give possible theories as to the cause of some big news?

Klopp suddenly walking away was quite a shock, so I can understand why some would think there could be some big underlying cause for such an unusual decision. That being said, on the balance of probability, I'd be pretty sure he just felt it was time to walk away as it was wearing him down, wanted more time with family and to explore other opportunities (not necessarily management) once he is fully rested.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You may be right but for someone that has dedicated so much into the game to suddenly pull the plug this quickly seems a little unusual as he hasn't really fully committed to walking away and talks of maybe coming back in some form https://www.skysports.com/football/...eturn-to-coaching-as-of-today-thats-it-for-me

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Isn't that what the friendlies are for - get the first team ready. It'll be a good learning experience for the youngsters to be around the first team squad

Generally, it’s to define the squad. Some fringe players will make the squad and some won’t. Some are playing for a contract and some know they’re in the shop window. And yes, it will also be about getting minutes in the legs for the first team squad. Boro have swapped all eleven players in at least two matches, and rwo players have gone out on loan since the first friendly.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally, it’s to define the squad. Some fringe players will make the squad and some won’t. Some are playing for a contract and some know they’re in the shop window. And yes, it will also be about getting minutes in the legs for the first team squad. Boro have swapped all eleven players in at least two matches, and rwo players have gone out on loan since the first friendly.

I am guessing that, as well as footballing reasons, for the big games abroad, I suspect that there may be an obligation for a certain amount of the first team to play for an amount of time.

Swango1980

Visit site
I am guessing that, as well as footballing reasons, for the big games abroad, I suspect that there may be an obligation for a certain amount of the first team to play for an amount of time.
I'd be a bit surprised if anything was guaranteed like that? After all, the big clubs will give some game time to their best players on tour, as it is used to get them ready for the new season.

That being said, it is something that will happen from time to time. Like the controversy when Inter Miami played a friendly in Hong Kong, and Messi didn't play due to a groin injury. That even got the government involved. I'm not sure if there was anything written down he needed to play, or it was an unwritten understanding

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
An aeroplane is essential for a lot of fans.

Mate of mine goes to watch Barcelona home games from Liverpool airport.
I might go one weekend.👍
I did the same (but from Edinburgh) from 2002 - 2006 used to stay in a nice little hotel in Sabadell about 10-15 times a year. Great weekends those were.

Also visited a few away grounds too; Mestalla, San Pizjuan, Vicente Calderon, San Mames, Bernabeu and possibly my fave old school stadium ever, the Riazor with its mega steep sides.

CountLippe

Visit site
I did the same (but from Edinburgh) from 2002 - 2006 used to stay in a nice little hotel in Sabadell about 10-15 times a year. Great weekends those were.

Also visited a few away grounds too; Mestalla, San Pizjuan, Vicente Calderon, San Mames, Bernabeu and possibly my fave old school stadium ever, the Riazor with its mega steep sides.

Sadly, all been rebuilt recently.