The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe Fulham looked at Utds offer for Branthwaite and thought derisory offers were how they did business 🤷🏻‍♂️
Although, had they recognised that Everton refused the offer, and Branthwaite is still at Everton, then they might have realised it isn't the way to do business if they truly want the player :)

I suspect at this stage, clubs will happily spend the next few weeks with low offers on the table, and negotiate. If the club truly wants the player, then they'll increase it to whatever they feel will get him by the end of the window, or if another club comes in for the player. And, if the club really wants to sell the player, they may be tempted to take a lower offer if it looks like the interested club will walk away.

I suspect in Man Utds case, with interest in Branthwaite, De Ligt and whoever else they have apparently looked at in defence, then if any of those clubs are willing to sell, they might go for a lower offer to ensure Man Utd buy their player before bringing in a defender from another club, and then ending their interest?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although, had they recognised that Everton refused the offer, and Branthwaite is still at Everton, then they might have realised it isn't the way to do business if they truly want the player :)

I suspect at this stage, clubs will happily spend the next few weeks with low offers on the table, and negotiate. If the club truly wants the player, then they'll increase it to whatever they feel will get him by the end of the window, or if another club comes in for the player. And, if the club really wants to sell the player, they may be tempted to take a lower offer if it looks like the interested club will walk away.

I suspect in Man Utds case, with interest in Branthwaite, De Ligt and whoever else they have apparently looked at in defence, then if any of those clubs are willing to sell, they might go for a lower offer to ensure Man Utd buy their player before bringing in a defender from another club, and then ending their interest?
My post was tongue in cheek. There are low offers and there are insulting offers that are not serious. The Utd offers came in the latter camp. If they really wanted him, or De Ligt then go in with a proper offer that shows they mean business. That way you get the player for pre season, you get to integrate him into your team so they are ready for match 1. The later you leave it, the higher the price gets. We don't need to sell Branthwaite, we have a back up now. If you want him, be serious about it.

Swango1980

Visit site
My post was tongue in cheek. There are low offers and there are insulting offers that are not serious. The Utd offers came in the latter camp. If they really wanted him, or De Ligt then go in with a proper offer that shows they mean business. That way you get the player for pre season, you get to integrate him into your team so they are ready for match 1. The later you leave it, the higher the price gets. We don't need to sell Branthwaite, we have a back up now. If you want him, be serious about it.
I know, it is why I put a :)

I just went on to elaborate about where we seem to be with the window. Good chance Utd may want to sell McTominay, so it is probably worth Fulham going low at this stage. Utd may hold firm now, hope Fulham increase the offer or others come in. But, Utd could still sell him in a week or so for a fairly low offer, if they ultimately want him gone and the money in.

As for Branthwaite, that is the thing. Utd may like to have him in the team, but at the same time don't see it as a necessity if they are looking at several different options. If nobody else has come in for Branthwaite at the end of the window, and Utd truly want the player at that time, then they will increase the offer to whatever they are willing to pay. If Everton don't want to sell, then they can simply still refuse, and he can stay at Everton.

Personally, I'd rather Man Utd acted this way in the window, than just splash £80 million on Maguire, £82 million on Antony or £90 million on Pogba. We've discussed Branthwaite before, I like him but know little about him, but you are certainly complimentary about him. But, is £70 million a lot of money to pay for a 22 year old who pretty much had his breakthrough season last season (I think)? I believe Utd last offer was £50 million, which doesn't seem like a ridiculously low offer? Especially if Everton are willing to negotiate, where they'll accept somewhere below £70 million

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Swango1980 unless we are on the edge of administration, we would not accept below £70m. Yes, that's a crazy figure but it is the market rate for him, as we view it, so it is a case of pay it or don't bother us. Whether he is worth it or not is another matter, but we don't need to sell him, he is on a long deal, we like him. We will happily keep him for another year.

If he was a fringe player then it becomes a different discussion but as things stand he is central to our plans for the season and it will need a big offer to get him.

Swango1980

Visit site
@Swango1980 unless we are on the edge of administration, we would not accept below £70m. Yes, that's a crazy figure but it is the market rate for him, as we view it, so it is a case of pay it or don't bother us. Whether he is worth it or not is another matter, but we don't need to sell him, he is on a long deal, we like him. We will happily keep him for another year.

If he was a fringe player then it becomes a different discussion but as things stand he is central to our plans for the season and it will need a big offer to get him.
Appreciate that, and that is completely Everton's right.

It just seems that the people at Man Utd don't put that value on him (at this stage anyway), and I suppose a player is only ever worth what a club is willing to buy him for anyway. It might be another club will come in and buy him for £70 million if they think he is worth it.

I appreciate it from both points of view. I like that Everton stand firm on a player they want to keep / value, and will not be "bullied" by another club as has often been an accusation. At same time, I like it that Man Utd are not being forced to pay over the odds (in their view) for a player they want, and are willing walk away when a club doesn't really want to sell.

Having said that, no doubt we'll get to the end of the transfer window and Man Utd will buy Branthwaite for £200 million :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key for me is to grasp a valuation before putting in a bid. They will have been well aware of where Everton place Branthwaite so the initial offer of £35m was just insulting. If we offered £15m for Mainoo, would you think we were serious? You would delete the email without replying. If you had started at £50m plus a fringe player, suddenly it becomes worth looking at. Not necessarily accepting it but it becomes a discussion. After that first offer, we would quote you more than the next team, just out of spite 😝

Swango1980

Visit site
The key for me is to grasp a valuation before putting in a bid. They will have been well aware of where Everton place Branthwaite so the initial offer of £35m was just insulting. If we offered £15m for Mainoo, would you think we were serious? You would delete the email without replying. If you had started at £50m plus a fringe player, suddenly it becomes worth looking at. Not necessarily accepting it but it becomes a discussion. After that first offer, we would quote you more than the next team, just out of spite 😝
Yeah, you are right. We'd have laughed at £15 million for Mainoo. Although, if you then came back and offered £150 miillion plus Branthwaite, I think we'd still have listened :)

Mind you, I wouldn't want to lose Mainoo for any price, as a fan. Simply as I want to see those type of players in my side, and see how his potential can grow. No doubt many Everton fans feel the same about Branthwaite.

I suspect football is littered with initial "insulting" bids to be fair. Possibly as a way to test the water with the club who has the player, and see what their valuation is officially?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So far this summer we have brought some youth Brazilian winger for 20 plus million

Foderingham from Sheffield United as back up keeper

Killman £40 million from wolves

We are supposed to be now getting Summervile from Leeds (excellent signing)

Awb from man united. Another excellent signing

Duran is still linked from villa (other option is Niclas Fullkrug)

Now Guido Rodriguez is having a medical from out of nowhere on a freebie

Just another CB on the list apparently

If we pull these off we will have some squad when you add in Alvarez, Bowen, kudus. Paquata (for one season at least as he been cleared to play)

Good times

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Newcastle apparently in talks with Palace over Marc Guehi.
What do you think of this? He wouldn't be cheap so if you went for him this might be your big signing.

I'd have thought a replacement down the right for Almiron would be more important.

Very good player, I'm not disputing it would be a good buy.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you think of this? He wouldn't be cheap so if you went for him this might be your big signing.

I'd have thought a replacement down the right for Almiron would be more important.
The general consensus seems to be that some more central defensive depth and a right winger are the key targets. Based on what I saw at the Euro's where he looked calm and composed I think Guehi would be a valuable addition to help flesh out the depth of our central defence and be a long term partner for Botman when he recovers fitness.

Given that we are now into a new PSR cycle I dont think that there are quite the restrictions on the club as have been in recent windows, so I'm not sure that the signing of Guehi would prevent us from investing heavily in at least one other area such as RW. Jacob Murphy is confusing matters though by having a storming pre-seaon where he has notched 4 goals already....but even then, I still think an upgrade in this position is needed to help take the team forward this coming season....I'd be very happy with someone like Brentfords Mbuemo...but he would be "top dollar".

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Just looked at odds for who’s going to win Prem.
Bookies got it as a 2 horse race between City & Arsenal.
Think that’s true. I’ll be shocked if we’re close with Slot coming in. I think we’ll be comfortably top four, but a new boss always takes time.

The rest? I don’t see a title challenger anywhere with 3rd to 7th anyone’s guess really.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just looked at odds for who’s going to win Prem.
Bookies got it as a 2 horse race between City & Arsenal
I guess it is quite common for the odds to be set close to how clubs finished last season, unless anything major happens in the summer that could change those odds (like, if Pep, De Bruyne, Haaland and Foden left City)

Up to the other teams to prove themselves as challengers. But City and Arsenal will probably be tough to beat for the rest

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I guess it is quite common for the odds to be set close to how clubs finished last season, unless anything major happens in the summer that could change those odds (like, if Pep, De Bruyne, Haaland and Foden left City)

Up to the other teams to prove themselves as challengers. But City and Arsenal will probably be tough to beat for the rest
True,nothing suggests the other teams will improve that much imo.
I thought Man Utd maybe could have,but not ideal starting with a couple of big injuries.
Chelsea were starting to look decent at the back end of the season,but now got a new manager.
Liverpool weren’t good enough last seasons & not signed anyone as far as I know.