The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why on earth do fans follow pre season round the world. The point of the games is to build fans in those countries. There is the demand there for a lot of it.

If any fan travels all the way from England to Australia for example to follow their team their either massively addicted to football or a little bit stupid or a mixture
Think you have misinterpreted what I said. When I said fans were paying through the nose, I meant the fans in the countries where the matches are being played. I expect these are still paying top dollar to watch squad players when they may be expecting the superstars. Bit like when the Hong Kong (?) fans nearly rioted because Messi never played

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, of course it is about money. They are not doing it to support the local clubs in America or Asia after all. Why should the big clubs sacrifice a lot of their income, so that small local clubs can get a few scraps??? How many big business' in any industry have a business plan that supports smaller business's in their area to their own financial detriment? Maybe there are a few charitable businesses like that, but not many. In fact, if the smaller business' are in the same industry, the bigger business would probably be happy in stealing all their custom to be fair. Perhaps these smaller football clubs should worry about themselves, see what they can do to increase their income, rather than just hold out their hands and beg for other clubs to support them?

And, yet again, we seem to assume players will get knackered flying half way around the world. Must be really difficult in their first class (private) airplanes, staying in 5 star hotels. Chilling in the pool every day, getting massages, getting fed perfect diets, etc. What a rigorous and tough life these young man lead :)

As for jet leg. I think most clubs land back in England a week or 2 before the new season starts. I reckon they'll be OK. I'm sure the club managers and officials want to ensure their players are fresh and ready for the start of the season, so no doubt they'll have considered all these concerns
How about growing the game? Isn't that why players move to Saudi? :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think you have misinterpreted what I said. When I said fans were paying through the nose, I meant the fans in the countries where the matches are being played. I expect these are still paying top dollar to watch squad players when they may be expecting the superstars. Bit like when the Hong Kong (?) fans nearly rioted because Messi never played

They do normally get some of the players. Most of them infact, even if it's just for a half or 20 mins

Unless they been in the tournaments and given a break

It's still cheaper than those fans flying over here to watch those 4th round Carling cap games

Swango1980

Visit site
How about growing the game? Isn't that why players move to Saudi? :ROFLMAO:
Right, so now it is the responsibility of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea to grow the game? How do you define that? You could argue they've done a hell of a lot to grow the game, given how the popularity of the Premier League has skyrocketed over the last 20/30 years.

But, your definition seems to be about playing friendlies against local sides, so they can feed off the scraps of the gate receipts for a bit? Does that grow the game, and who does it grow the game for? It might be absolutely fantastic for the one or 2 clubs near these big clubs. What about the other small clubs? I live in Lincoln, there are not exactly any massive clubs local to Lincoln. Forest may be the closest, about 40 miles away. So, do Lincoln City fans think "ohh, isn't it great that other clubs in our league are getting a it of a cash injection by playing against Liverpool / Arsenal / Man Utd, whilst we get to play Scunthorpe, Doncaster and Boston"?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
All the premier league teams earn fortunes from overseas fans - from telly rights to commercial income ,

The likes of Liverpool and Man Utd have huge fan bases in Asia and Aus and now also in the US

Going to this countries unfortunately is part of the neccesary evil to keep that money pouring in

All part and parcel of the commercial revenue

Swango1980

Visit site
The fans will probably see better players on pre season tours than they often would at League Cup games. After all, the whole point of pre-season is to get your players, especially your top players, ready for the season. Obviously, the players whose season has literally just ended as they were in the latter stages of an international tournament will be given time off to recover, but that should still leave enough high profile players going on tour at most clubs?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Got to love the intensity. Who said these games don't matter

Some fringe players are playing for their contract or places in the squad for the upcoming season, as opposed to be loaned out or sold before the end of August. “Friendly” is a misnomer in their eyes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some fringe players are playing for their contract or places in the squad for the upcoming season, as opposed to be loaned out or sold before the end of August. “Friendly” is a misnomer in their eyes.
To be fair I saw some great ones including an England side v Fulham and brutal ones especially some non-league sides where players were trying out and wanting to impress

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Why are clubs wasting time playing pre season warm ups/friendlies *at the moment?
They fly across the world to play teams that are 10 minutes down the road and only have half the squad available as most are still resting from the Euros. Fans must be paying through the nose hoping to see the superstars and getting teams worse then the Caraboa Cup. Pointless exercise
*Apart from greed and more money
You nailed it in the last sentence.👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Fulham look like signing Ryan Sessignon on a free. Had a torrid time at Spurs with injuries and while still young I am worried how those dodgy hamstrings will cope as I think he would be a pretty regular starter
Did he have dodgy hamstrings before he went to the bottlers. 🤔

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Why are clubs wasting time playing pre season warm ups/friendlies *at the moment?
They fly across the world to play teams that are 10 minutes down the road and only have half the squad available as most are still resting from the Euros. Fans must be paying through the nose hoping to see the superstars and getting teams worse then the Caraboa Cup. Pointless exercise
*Apart from greed and more money
Because most of these clubs now have worldwide fanbases and those fanbases bring in a lot of money into the prem from the telly rights - they aren’t huge money spinners for the clubs but the Prem keeps the overseas fans happy and paying their overseas rights

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Because most of these clubs now have worldwide fanbases and those fanbases bring in a lot of money into the prem from the telly rights - they aren’t huge money spinners for the clubs but the Prem keeps the overseas fans happy and paying their overseas rights
Let’s hope they don’t start using tiredness as an excuse 😂