The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
I suppose not every First XI player has been called up to international duty. Therefore, the last match any of those players would have played (assuming they were fit) would have been Sunday 19th May (or Saturday 25th May for FA Cup finalists). Would any club be happy going into the new season, with many of their players not having played a match for over 2 months?

And, it isn't just 1st Team XI players that matter, it is the squad. Even with everyone fit, a clubs first XI might look quite different as the season progresses, with players in and out of form, and different formations played. Seems a good idea to have a few early matches in pre season to get those that haven't played in a couple of months up to speed, and have a look at the youngsters in and around first team players. Then carefully manage the return of other players who have been playing for their nations throughout the summer.
And risk injuries doing all this travelling and playing pre-season friendlies.

I’m not sure playing Clubs 3-4 levels and more below PL level (no disrespect to them) does anything more than playing 11 aside matches on the trg ground, then, as I did say, play a couple of friendlies in the last week or so of pre-season.

Nowhere did I say play NO friendlies!

Swango1980

Visit site
And risk injuries doing all this travelling and playing pre-season friendlies.

I’m not sure playing Clubs 3-4 levels and more below PL level (no disrespect to them) does anything more than playing 11 aside matches on the trg ground, then, as I did say, play a couple of friendlies in the last week or so of pre-season.

Nowhere did I say play NO friendlies!
Why do you think clubs do it then? Are all owners just stupid? Clubs were playing friendlies long before they started travelling across the globe. Randomly looked back to the 1990 season for example. Man Utd played 8 friendlies, including Charity Shield, in the space of 19 days. Basically a game every 2 or 3 days. Mind you, they played giants like Bury, Cork City, Waterford Utd, Derry City, Irish League, Bohemians and Rangers.

Sports science has come a long way since then, whilst clubs also have much bigger squads. So, playing a few friendlies in North America or Asia shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think you underestimate the importance of players actually getting some game time under their belt, especially those that haven't played in a long time.

Can just imagine the panic that would ensue if clubs just left it until the last week to play a couple of friendlies, then realized about a dozen players where nowhere near match sharp, and actually could do with a few more games to get to speed.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do you think clubs do it then? Are all owners just stupid? Clubs were playing friendlies long before they started travelling across the globe. Randomly looked back to the 1990 season for example. Man Utd played 8 friendlies, including Charity Shield, in the space of 19 days. Basically a game every 2 or 3 days. Mind you, they played giants like Bury, Cork City, Waterford Utd, Derry City, Irish League, Bohemians and Rangers.

Sports science has come a long way since then, whilst clubs also have much bigger squads. So, playing a few friendlies in North America or Asia shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think you underestimate the importance of players actually getting some game time under their belt, especially those that haven't played in a long time.

Can just imagine the panic that would ensue if clubs just left it until the last week to play a couple of friendlies, then realized about a dozen players where nowhere near match sharp, and actually could do with a few more games to get to speed.
All owners are greedy and also need the cash. There is a balance between travelling to Australia and playing Bury. A couple of friendlies in Europe, nice weather, nice flights, no issues. It's a balance thing and there you go going from back to white without any shades in bewtween, really poor, really unbalanced comment, i feel let down, are we going to have a season of having to read such poor commentary, I mean how are we all going to cope.....:D

PaulMdj

Visit site

So playing the likes of Cork and Waterford gets the players sharp! Oh ok, you’ve convinced me.

The overseas travel is purely for money and raising the Clubs profile worldwide, it’s not to get the players sharp, in fact some of the bigger Clubs will start the season with some of the first XI not match sharp.

If it was purely for football reasons then Why can’t Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Celtic and the other teams play each other in the comp at Wembley or Hampden etc.

Swango1980

Visit site
So playing the likes of Cork and Waterford gets the players sharp! Oh ok, you’ve convinced me.

The overseas travel is purely for money and raising the Clubs profile worldwide, it’s not to get the players sharp, in fact some of the bigger Clubs will start the season with some of the first XI not match sharp.

If it was purely for football reasons then Why can’t Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Celtic and the other teams play each other in the comp at Wembley or Hampden etc.
Of course it is about money, going to other parts of the globe. Nobody says it wasn't.

But, if you listened carefully, I said clubs have been playing friendly matches for decades, for a reason. What do you think that reason is?

You make a point about getting injuries. Can players not get injured playing against Cork, or playing 8 games in less than 3 weeks?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Of course it is about money, going to other parts of the globe. Nobody says it wasn't.

But, if you listened carefully, I said clubs have been playing friendly matches for decades, for a reason. What do you think that reason is?

You make a point about getting injuries. Can players not get injured playing against Cork, or playing 8 games in less than 3 weeks?
I initially replied to Orikoru on how I feel about pre-season friendlies, you’ve then jumped in and told me all the benefits you think they provide, that’s fine.

Everton will play 5 friendlies, others will play more, some will play less.

Different opinions are allowed.👍🏻

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a few miss the other side of the coin, and that is the income to the smaller team.
I remember years ago as a teenager, being in the St Johns Ambulance. One of our duties, was to attend Gillingham when they played at home (obviously we got free entry, but we were "on duty")
During my time with the SJA, Gillingham had 2 pre-season friendlies, one against West Ham and one against Chelsea.
Both times, the stadium was totally full, 14K supporters for a meaningless match. The revenue they generated went a long way to helping the club buy players or even just exist.
It's easy to forget there are 2 sides to the friendlies arguement.:)

Swango1980

Visit site
I initially replied to Orikoru on how I feel about pre-season friendlies, you’ve then jumped in and told me all the benefits you think they provide, that’s fine.

Everton will play 5 friendlies, others will play more, some will play less.

Different opinions are allowed.👍🏻
Never said they weren't allowed, hence I shared mine. In a forum.

Are the forum rules that one must not reply to anyone who has replied to someone else? I thought Private Messages were used for that?

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think a few miss the other side of the coin, and that is the income to the smaller team.
I remember years ago as a teenager, being in the St Johns Ambulance. One of our duties, was to attend Gillingham when they played at home (obviously we got free entry, but we were "on duty")
During my time with the SJA, Gillingham had 2 pre-season friendlies, one against West Ham and one against Chelsea.
Both times, the stadium was totally full, 14K supporters for a meaningless match. The revenue they generated went a long way to helping the club buy players or even just exist.
It's easy to forget there are 2 sides to the friendlies arguement.:)
That’s fine when PL Clubs are playing the smaller ones, but unfortunately these games are few and far between as the PL Clubs are playing each other and big European sides.

Link below shows the full list by PL Club.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Never said they weren't allowed, hence I shared mine. In a forum.

Are the forum rules that one must not reply to anyone who has replied to someone else? I thought Private Messages were used for that?
You’re missing the point, I don’t care what you think about my opinions, I tried to explain them, but every reply you’re telling/showing me were I’m wrong.

Nothing you’ve posted has changed my mind about pre-season friendlies, were bunkermagnet made a very vslid point.

Swango1980

Visit site
You’re missing the point, I don’t care what you think about my opinions, I tried to explain them, but every reply you’re telling/showing me were I’m wrong.

Nothing you’ve posted has changed my mind about pre-season friendlies, were bunkermagnet made a very vslid point.
If you don't care, don't reply. Such an easy concept :)

Swango1980

Visit site
All owners are greedy and also need the cash. There is a balance between travelling to Australia and playing Bury. A couple of friendlies in Europe, nice weather, nice flights, no issues. It's a balance thing and there you go going from back to white without any shades in bewtween, really poor, really unbalanced comment, i feel let down, are we going to have a season of having to read such poor commentary, I mean how are we all going to cope.....:D
Don't understand your point?

I was making a point about friendlies and injuries. You are making a separate point about money?

It is fair to say we all are fully aware clubs go to USA and Asia to grow their brands and increase their income.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If you don't care, don't reply. Such an easy concept :)
WoW! You go on about it being a forum and people being allowed to post.

I give you enough respect to answer you and this is your retort!

You have issues, no doubt as you’ve previously stated you like the last word, fill your boots, I’m wasting no more time on you.👍🏻

Swango1980

Visit site
WoW! You go on about it being a forum and people being allowed to post.

I give you enough respect to answer you and this is your retort!

You have issues, no doubt as you’ve previously stated you like the last word, fill your boots, I’m wasting no more time on you.👍🏻
What issues? Please elaborate, it might help me sort my life out.

I guess it would have been easier to just agree with you, and assume you know more than anyone who has ever owned a football club.

But, happy to end it there