The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fulham look like signing Ryan Sessignon on a free. Had a torrid time at Spurs with injuries and while still young I am worried how those dodgy hamstrings will cope as I think he would be a pretty regular starter
If it isn't a 'pay as you play' deal then Fulham want their heads checking. More injuries than Reece James that lad. Even when he was fit, I had this feeling that he could only really play as a wing back. Wasn't good enough defensively to play left back, and wasn't good enough at attacking to play as a winger. Wing back he could do because he had the legs. Probably had an issue with confidence as well, when you have that many injuries it's difficult to play at 100% and take every chance you get as you're worried about something going again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it isn't a 'pay as you play' deal then Fulham want their heads checking. More injuries than Reece James that lad. Even when he was fit, I had this feeling that he could only really play as a wing back. Wasn't good enough defensively to play left back, and wasn't good enough at attacking to play as a winger. Wing back he could do because he had the legs. Probably had an issue with confidence as well, when you have that many injuries it's difficult to play at 100% and take every chance you get as you're worried about something going again.
Apparently has had surgery to "fix" the problems. Wasn't it Michael Own that had recurring hamstring issues which ultimately took his pace away. If Sessegnon loses his pace he will be average at best. It is this that gives him a defensive advantage

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently has had surgery to "fix" the problems. Wasn't it Michael Own that had recurring hamstring issues which ultimately took his pace away. If Sessegnon loses his pace he will be average at best. It is this that gives him a defensive advantage
Yeah, agreed. If the pace is gone then I can only see him as a Championship player at best unfortunately.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Finally Fulham doing business. Smith-Rowe a good buy for us if it gets over the line although the clubs are happy and apparently personal terms are in place. Still need an out and out goalscorer and some decent defensive midfielders and defenders. We must have captial from the Mitrovic and Paulinha deals

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just find it odd when teams leave it so late 🤷‍♂️
I get you and Phil cant help yourselves, but is it late.?
The transfer window doesn’t close until the end of August, and the new manager is surely doing the right thing in seeing what he actually has and who he wants to keep and where he thinks he need to add to.
Seeing how some here like to go on about how much a team has spent, I would have thought his approach might applauded, but then I suppose because hes that teams manager I shouldn’t be surprised .
Perhaps Phil is to pre-occupied with the Olympics and Police brutality for you to get the response you expected?😎

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the problem with international competition years I guess. It doesn't feel late to me, it feels like the season has only just ended and pre-season just begun. But in fact it's what, three weeks until the Prem starts? Crazy.

Spurs have made three signings, but all three are 18 years old, so not sure how much immediate impact any of them will have. And we've let Hojbjerg leave, who I was quite a fan of. We are crying out for a proper striker so we're not once again faffing about between Son and Richarlison over who plays middle and who plays on the left.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The transfer window doesn’t close until the end of August, and the new manager is surely doing the right thing in seeing what he actually has and who he wants to keep and where he thinks he need to add to.
Seeing how some here like to go on about how much a team has spent, I would have thought his approach might applauded, but then I suppose because hes that teams manager I shouldn’t be surprised .
Perhaps Phil is to pre-occupied with the Olympics and Police brutality for you to get the response you expected?😎
🤷‍♂️ not sure what I have done 🤷‍♂️

the club will make signings when they feel it’s the time to do so

There are lots of reasons why there hasn’t been any yet but i don’t think it’s anything to worry about

As for who you quoted , it’s best to ignore him , been that way for years now

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I simply said it’s late 🤷‍♂️
Never mentioned Phil 🤷‍♂️
I’ve heard players say it’s hard to settle & pre season is a big thing.
Hope that clears things up for you 👍🏻

PaulMdj

Visit site
That's the problem with international competition years I guess. It doesn't feel late to me, it feels like the season has only just ended and pre-season just begun. But in fact it's what, three weeks until the Prem starts? Crazy.

Spurs have made three signings, but all three are 18 years old, so not sure how much immediate impact any of them will have. And we've let Hojbjerg leave, who I was quite a fan of. We are crying out for a proper striker so we're not once again faffing about between Son and Richarlison over who plays middle and who plays on the left.
I think you’re spot on with pre-season, Everton have played 2 friendlies and not all the squad has returned from International Duty or those given extra time off.

Great experience for the kids being called forward, but not much use of what will be the first XI, add in the risk of injuries and I’d rather the first team squad were simply ragged on the training ground and left a couple of friendlies until the last week or so of pre-season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you’re spot on with pre-season, Everton have played 2 friendlies and not all the squad has returned from International Duty or those given extra time off.

Great experience for the kids being called forward, but not much use of what will be the first XI, add in the risk of injuries and I’d rather the first team squad were simply ragged on the training ground and left a couple of friendlies until the last week or so of pre-season.
Especially when those friendlies are on the other side of the world! Great preparation for the season, let's ensure they all have jetlag as well.

Swango1980

Visit site

I suppose not every First XI player has been called up to international duty. Therefore, the last match any of those players would have played (assuming they were fit) would have been Sunday 19th May (or Saturday 25th May for FA Cup finalists). Would any club be happy going into the new season, with many of their players not having played a match for over 2 months?

And, it isn't just 1st Team XI players that matter, it is the squad. Even with everyone fit, a clubs first XI might look quite different as the season progresses, with players in and out of form, and different formations played. Seems a good idea to have a few early matches in pre season to get those that haven't played in a couple of months up to speed, and have a look at the youngsters in and around first team players. Then carefully manage the return of other players who have been playing for their nations throughout the summer.