The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the pen/not pen (I'm in the not camp) gives the fans and players something to excuse what has otherwise been a poor campaign. Neither side seemed to dare to go for the win they both needed. Scotland went from game 1 - out of control intensity and headless chickens. Game 2 - controlled intensity and determination but no quality to game 3 where they lacked intensity and quality but had control of the game for much of it.

Has to make you think that somewhere in there is the right blend that could get results. I don't know much about Scottish football but Steve Clarke comes across as a proper plonk and Shanklin (sp?) has really shone from the bench so can't figure why he doesn't start.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Apparently he jumped in front of him.
There was a couple of things about the nailed on penalty that had me scratching my head. Yes he jumped across and he was entitled to do so. But was it because he is right footed and wanted the ball on his right foot. It looked nailed on for him to hit it across the keeper with his left foot. Why did it not go to VAR? That for me was the worst decision of the lot. The ref was Argentinian. If we are bringing in the best refs in the world to officiate I totally get that, but he and the VAR official had a stinker there.
When the guy went off on the stretcher, they had VAR look to see if it was a penalty. If obviously wasn’t but if get VAR involved for that, it should have been involved in the Scottish penalty claim.
Re referees, the Polish referee has been the best by a country mile so far.

RichA

Visit site
Is this the stonewall penalty Scotland are banning going on about?

Never in a million years, the Scotland player is trying to win a pen. It’s more of a foul on the Hungarian player than the other way round.

Why is the Scottish lad not trying to score?

Didn't see it last night. To me it seems bonkers that anyone could think that's a penalty.
What exactly was the Hungarian defender supposed to do when the Scottish dude jumped sideways into his path, put his forearm across his throat and yanked his shirt? Hungary free kick for me.

PaulMdj

Visit site
We have to remember that prior to these Championships kicking off, UEFA announced they would be clamping down on simulation, if the attacker has made no attempt to play the ball and got in front of the defender, then contact or not, the Ref & VAR will of seen it as the attacker initiating contact.

I’m sure on here we were praising VAR, apart from when our Officials were involved and now we don’t agree with a decision VAR is crap again.

I’m amazed some posters on here seem to have the ability to get every decision correct.😵‍💫

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Non-Scots are allowed to post in the Scottish fitba’ thread when discussing Scottish football 😉😍

Nice that others are expressing interest in our failure - indeed some more supportive comments than I’d expect 😉 pen or no-pen doesn’t really matter in the face of trying to psss the ball into the net without crossing halfway 🙄

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually think he's one of the most overrated players around. All round game superb - presses well, great control, good passing, strong and skillful yet when he gets into key areas his end product is like a Sunday league player. For me one of those bluffers who will always flatter to deceive and will be sold on next summer.
Yes he’s never really pushed on for reds after a good start!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a couple of things about the nailed on penalty that had me scratching my head. Yes he jumped across and he was entitled to do so. But was it because he is right footed and wanted the ball on his right foot. It looked nailed on for him to hit it across the keeper with his left foot. Why did it not go to VAR? That for me was the worst decision of the lot. The ref was Argentinian. If we are bringing in the best refs in the world to officiate I totally get that, but he and the VAR official had a stinker there.
When the guy went off on the stretcher, they had VAR look to see if it was a penalty. If obviously wasn’t but if get VAR involved for that, it should have been involved in the Scottish penalty claim.
Re referees, the Polish referee has been the best by a country mile so far.

He moved in front of the defender because the through ball caught his heels and slowed it down, he wanted to keep control of the ball by being between it and the defender. I think it was a penalty.

On your second point though, VAR would have checked it but must have concluded there was no clear error or anything missed by the ref. The ref saw the incident clearly and made a decision. VAR isn’t there to micromanage every decision the ref makes; where there is any doubt about what the right decision is, they should stick with the onfield decision, assuming the ref had a good view of the incident and made his decision based on that. Contrasting with the situation where the ref makes a decision based on faulty observations (e.g. Ashley young v forest, the ref thought he got the ball but he didn’t).

The fact that there is debate over whether it was a penalty or not demonstrates that VAR got it right in not intervening.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Non-Scots are allowed to post in the Scottish fitba’ thread when discussing Scottish football 😉😍

Nice that others are expressing interest in our failure - indeed some more supportive comments than I’d expect 😉 pen or no-pen doesn’t really matter in the face of trying to psss the ball into the net without crossing halfway 🙄

I almost did, but felt an interloper, so didn't!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this the stonewall penalty Scotland are banning going on about?

Never in a million years, the Scotland player is trying to win a pen. It’s more of a foul on the Hungarian player than the other way round.

Why is the Scottish lad not trying to score?

First time I've seen it - looks a strange movement from the Scottish player, I'd say that's 50-50 and would be a harsh penalty. He sort of jumps across into the Hungarian player's way so not sure what he should have done.

D

Deleted member 29109

I'm not sure the Hungarian player does anything wrong though - the Scottish player lunges right across the front of him. What can he do? Leap out of the way?

Either way it's debateable at best, not exactly stonewall if the Scots fans were calling it that.
He’s running in a straight line. The Scottish lad puts his leg across in front of him and grabs his shirt. Is he supposed to magically disappear 🤷🏼‍♂️.

The more I’ve seen it, the more I think it’s a free kick.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bit late to the party on this however last night I was in the 'stonewall penalty' camp. I've watch the clip a number of times this afternoon and the more I watch it the less certain I am. Armstrong stops all his momentum and jumps up on the air. He had at least a yard on the last defender and should have controlled the ball and taken the shot rather than doing what he did IMO.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see the top clubs are 'bending' the rules again to make sure they comply with the financial rules :eek: Inflating the price of academy players and swapping them between teams to show a profit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c5111jg2r3yo
I think that's pretty smart to be honest. FFP rules are not fit for purpose and need a massive rethink, so the more people making a mockery of it the better. Should prompt them into looking at it again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or they could sell their absolute best players, thus maintaining the status quo for even longer. Villa having to sell players, after qualifying for the CL, is crackers.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site