The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
England now guaranteed a place in the last 16.
With that news, does Gareth go with his first choice side, mix it up a bit, or do a Spain and chuck in the reserves? With what I've seen the last two games, not sure it makes a difference!

Finish top of the group and avoid Germany sounds the right choice.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
With that news, does Gareth go with his first choice side, mix it up a bit, or do a Spain and chuck in the reserves? With what I've seen the last two games, not sure it makes a difference!

We need to play ourselves into some sort of form. No rest for any players not needing it. If Kane is tired, bench him or pull him after 50 minutes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just reading the replies on here the last few days
Shows VAR has a difficult job,
Give Scots a pen 50% think he’s right but 50% think he’s wrong catch 22.

So in this sort of situation the ref needs to take the lead ,look at it ,so we can see the refs made the decision not someone deep in the stands looking on a monitor.
He had ample time while Atwell pondered .

Goals and pens only might throw in red cards ,but let the ref referee the game .

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

He won’t ever change from the norm

Only change will be Gallagher in for TAA

crdb

Visit site

I wouldn't mind a change around, plenty of choices on the bench that we haven't seen that could give us more of an idea going forward, hopefully better than what we've been shown so far..

I just want to see what palmer can do for England, so good in the prem last year & not even had a look in!

Swango1980

Visit site

So in this sort of situation the ref needs to take the lead ,look at it ,so we can see the refs made the decision not someone deep in the stands looking on a monitor.

Goals and pens only might throw in red cards ,but let the ref referee the game .
Presumably the ref didn't think it was a penalty, as this was the decision made on the pitch. But, I think there are many many decisions that a referee will never be 100% on, after making a judgement in the heat of the moment from their own viewpoint. I think the game becomes very messy if the onfield referee can then decide to have a second look by electing themselves to go to the monitor. I think the outcome would be that they would need to go and review every single penalty or red card claim, no matter how ridiculous, because there will always be the chance the referee's view made an incident look very different to what actually happened. So, the moment they stick to their onfield decision by not reviewing, and the cameras show they were actually wrong, they'll be crucified for arrogantly refusing to look at the monitor.

Which is why VAR needs to look at it independently, and only get the ref to take a second look if it appears they got the decision wrong. Not alert the referee every time is is subjective. Because, in the Scotland case, if VAR alerted the ref to take a second look (even though they think it is subjective themselves), he might have changed his mind, at which point it angers everyone who thinks it isn't a penalty and accusing VAR of re-refereeing the game. Or, he sticks to his original opinion, and it angers everyone who thinks it was a penalty, or frustrates everyone who think VAR slows the game down.

I felt that it should have been a penalty, as it is acceptable for a player to try and get their body between the ball and the opponent. But, I also see the counter argument. So, if ref didn't give it I'm happy VAR didn't get involved, and if ref did give it, would also want VAR to not get involved. Thus, it stays as onfield decision regardless

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site

Surely unless we hear the audio live we are all guessing?

ie. Ref says: I believe the attacker initiated contact no penalty.

VAR: Looks at incident, can’t say it is clear and obvious the Ref is wrong, therefore advises on field decision is correct.

So in the above scenario there is no point in the Ref having a second look.

If however VAR disagree then I agree send him to the monitor.

Surely in the Scotland game the Ref did take the lead as VAR agreed.🤷‍♂️

Not sure why Atwell is mentioned?😵‍💫

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

PaulMdj

Visit site
Looking forward to tonight:

What I’m hoping is Southgate sticks by the same XI, we win 4-0, everybody gets carried away and the “it’s coming home” shouts start again…until we revert to type in the knockouts, but win Euro’s. Southgate retires on a high.

What I expect:

A 2-0 win with glimpses of good football, get through to the knockout phase, reach semi-final, hopes dashed again. Southgate sacked.

Either way, the bit in bold is a win.😬

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Accidentally arranged a match play game for this evening at 5pm so going to miss part of the game... cant say I'm gutted tho, I expect more of the same disappointing football :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Accidentally arranged a match play game for this evening at 5pm so going to miss part of the game... cant say I'm gutted tho, I expect more of the same disappointing football :ROFLMAO:
More incentive to win quickly? You could have it done and dusted in under 3 hours with a 6 & 5 win.