The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
The defender is behind him .
How does he know where to “ stick his leg”
He’s trying to balance himself to get his shot off.,
You’ve never seen a forward “win” a penalty? They are both going for the ball they both know exactly were the other one is.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure where you're all getting zero shots on target. We had 3, which is three more than the Germany game. The 3 were all absolutely guff though. The worst penalty decision I've ever seen.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure where you're all getting zero shots on target. We had 3, which is three more than the Germany game. The 3 were all absolutely guff though. The worst penalty decision I've ever seen.

BBC live text and also the commentary....

1719178048240.png
Didn't realise that it was only one shot off target as well until I looked at the stats.

EDIT - Not quite sure how Scotland can have 4 shots with 0 on target and only 1 off target. What happened to the other 3?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’ve never seen a forward “win” a penalty? They are both going for the ball they both know exactly were the other one is.
Yes and that’s why most good defenders don’t tackle from behind in the box.
He caught him with his trailing knee .
That’s a pen
Your entitled to your opinion though!

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
BBC live text and also the commentary....

View attachment 53901
Didn't realise that it was only one shot off target as well until I looked at the stats.

EDIT - Not quite sure how Scotland can have 4 shots with 0 on target and only 1 off target. What happened to the other 3?
No idea. BBC just said there were 3. Grant Hanley defo had one. I thought I must have missed the other two.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes and that’s why most good defenders don’t tackle from behind in the box.
He caught him with his trailing knee .
That’s a pen
Your entitled to your opinion though!
Just trying to explain why it may not of been given!
If they decided his left leg is in an unnatural position and he initiated the contact.🤷‍♂️

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they were blocked

Do they not count in the stats then? Surely even a blocked shot is either on or off target? This is a genuine question as I've got no idea.

How far from the attacker does the ball have to travel before it's disregarded if it's blocked? If an attacker takes a shot from the edge of the box but it's blocked on the 6 yard line then I assume it counts as a shot (either on or off target). If the attacker takes a shot from the edge of the box but it's blocked on the edge of the box I assume it doesn't count.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do they not count in the stats then? Surely even a blocked shot is either on or off target? This is a genuine question as I've got no idea.

How far from the attacker does the ball have to travel before it's disregarded if it's blocked? If an attacker takes a shot from the edge of the box but it's blocked on the 6 yard line then I assume it counts as a shot (either on or off target). If the attacker takes a shot from the edge of the box but it's blocked on the edge of the box I assume it doesn't count.
Your guess is as good as mine but on the stats board posted on here by yourself ( bottom line) says three were blocked.

4LEX

Visit site
Scotland were woeful tonight and didn't deserve to go through. Seemed intent to play for the draw and hope 2 points got them through as one of the best third placed sides.

Terrible outlook and Clarke is one of the most bleak and depressing managers in the game. He managed my club and we were we glad to see the back of him despite an FA Cup Semi Final appearance. A decent manager will do a lot better as Scotland have 3-4 very good players and that's all you need to do well at a basic level in international football.

4LEX

Visit site
This Sobizli fella looks good😉

I actually think he's one of the most overrated players around. All round game superb - presses well, great control, good passing, strong and skillful yet when he gets into key areas his end product is like a Sunday league player. For me one of those bluffers who will always flatter to deceive and will be sold on next summer.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Terrible performance from Scotland last night, there is no getting away from it, didn't deserve to go through.
Was a Stonewall penalty which would obviously of been a turning point if we got it and put it away (If's and but's).
Shankland should of started for me, his pace and playing on the last line of the defence would of suited us better.
We should of been much more adventurous in an attacking sense, Hungary were there for the taking, if only Steve Clarke could see it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Terrible performance from Scotland last night, there is no getting away from it, didn't deserve to go through.
Was a Stonewall penalty which would obviously of been a turning point if we got it and put it away (If's and but's).
Shankland should of started for me, his pace and playing on the last line of the defence would of suited us better.
We should of been much more adventurous in an attacking sense, Hungary were there for the taking, if only Steve Clarke could see it.
Yes I agree Hungary were a poor side and the first half Scotland had plenty of possession, pity at half time Scotland didn’t bring Shankland on and play 2 upfront and had a real go , shame as it was a good chance missed to go through.

Moyes had it right when he said Scotland need a massive injection at the grass roots of the game.

Look at Holland a country with a similar population to Scotland and they always produce skillful players and do well, also they have only a few decent teams in the Dutch league

The SFA should get over the there to study their model and implement it in Scotland.