The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I was disappointed to find out that Man Utd versus Leeds is not on TV tonight. Because it was not due to be televised when it was originally meant to be played (Queen's passing), means it cannot be televised now. Given the rivalry that Man Utd versus Leeds has been a pretty big, I was thinking the games broadcast that weekend must have been big ones (5 games were broadcast). The broadcast games were:

Villa v Southampton
Wolves v City
Spurs v Leicester
Brentford v Arsenal
Everton v West Ham

I guess it is a sign of the times, that broadcasters didn't want the Man Utd v Leeds match.

They cant pick United every week! I had a feeling it would be the 3pm KO watershed thing that was blocking this evenings game being broadcast - stupid really.

So is the block on 3pm KO's in general to be honest, in 2023 everyone just finds a stream and watches their team regardless.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Seen Talksport have opened the "Big Club" debate up today - So my question to the forum is the same - Who in your opinion are the biggest 5 clubs in England?

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

Top 3 are untouchable in my opinion. Arsenal have been more dominant in my lifetime than Man City, who relatively don't have a long history of success (and Arsenal have the most success of any London team). Then Villa, previous champions of Europe and a rich history of success but not recently.

City would overtake Villa with a CL win, but until that day, to me, not a big club.

To me "Big Club" and "Currently successful club" are very different things.

Swango1980

Visit site
They cant pick United every week! I had a feeling it would be the 3pm KO watershed thing that was blocking this evenings game being broadcast - stupid really.

So is the block on 3pm KO's in general to be honest, in 2023 everyone just finds a stream and watches their team regardless.
I'd like to think, in this day and age, there would be ways to legitimately watch any match, or at least any match with cameras at the ground. Surely broadcasters could pick the biggest games anyway, and then all other matches could be broadcast on some pay per view, with local commentators, etc?

Was the 3pm Saturday block a government thing, as they feared people wouldn't attend matches? Seems completely outdated. I remember Real Madrid v Barcelona kicked off at 4.30pm on a Saturday once (when Sky had the rights), and Sky were not allowed to show the first 30 minutes. They could only broadcast from 5pm.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seen Talksport have opened the "Big Club" debate up today - So my question to the forum is the same - Who in your opinion are the biggest 5 clubs in England?

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

Top 3 are untouchable in my opinion. Arsenal have been more dominant in my lifetime than Man City, who relatively don't have a long history of success (and Arsenal have the most success of any London team). Then Villa, previous champions of Europe and a rich history of success but not recently.

City would overtake Villa with a CL win, but until that day, to me, not a big club.

Can you define Big club? Lots of supporters, lots of cash. lots of trophies? Which is it? Sheffield Wednesday think they are a big club............. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

Surely Forest would be above Villa as they have won two European Cups 🤷‍♂

Big clubs is always a subjective statement it’s the same with world class

For me the “big clubs” in England are

Liverpool
ManUtd
Chelsea
Arsenal
City

That’s going by

Trophies won
Current standing
Worldwide appeal

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

If we are going on history, do Forest and Leeds both have a claim. Very difficult to equate what was a big club to what is now, especially with the importance of global support etc. There are some clubs with great histories wallowing in the lower leagues and clubs with no previous glories in the premier league so which is worth more.

Swango1980

Visit site

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

Agree with your first 2. Can't have too many complaints about 3rd and 4th, but could easily argue for Man City have elevated themselves very nicely, into the global market, in the last decade (although maybe about to experience a nasty fall). You could argue Spurs get a mention, even though their trophy cabinet is gathering dust. Villa would be a surprising Top 5 club. Off top of my head, Everton have had some decent success in their history. I'm sure there are others.

It is an unwinnable conversation, because some will base the list on trophies, some will base it on fan base worldwide, some on club value and some on current form. And, in many cases, a mixture of the above. But, if I was to give my personal list, it would be Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Can you define Big club? Lots of supporters, lots of cash. lots of trophies? Which is it? Sheffield Wednesday think they are a big club............. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I cant define it - its subject to opinion!

I used - fanbase, trophies, significance of trophies and sustainability at the top level as my factors.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Surely Forest would be above Villa as they have won two European Cups 🤷‍♂

Big clubs is always a subjective statement it’s the same with world class

For me the “big clubs” in England are

Liverpool
ManUtd
Chelsea
Arsenal
City

That’s going by

Trophies won
Current standing
Worldwide appeal

Absolutely subjective!

Forest may have 2, but they also spent far longer in lower leagues and have 12 less significant trophies than Villa in total - So I think we edge them.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Aston Villa :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I'm sorry but :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man City (replacing Spurs)

I am a Villa fan... and I think I have justifiable evidence, we are in the top 8 with ease - its how you place the big trophies.

Villa v Spurs for example - Spurs have 26 to Villa's 25 significant trophies - but Villa have a European cup...

Spurs also have a more recent history of top 4 which may factor into some peoples decisions.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd like to think, in this day and age, there would be ways to legitimately watch any match, or at least any match with cameras at the ground. Surely broadcasters could pick the biggest games anyway, and then all other matches could be broadcast on some pay per view, with local commentators, etc?

Was the 3pm Saturday block a government thing, as they feared people wouldn't attend matches? Seems completely outdated. I remember Real Madrid v Barcelona kicked off at 4.30pm on a Saturday once (when Sky had the rights), and Sky were not allowed to show the first 30 minutes. They could only broadcast from 5pm.

There is, all you have to do is leave the country! Utterly ridiculous

the 3pm block on a saturday is to support all the level of the pyramid down who would likly lose paying fans if the premier league games were on the tv

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agree with your first 2. Can't have too many complaints about 3rd and 4th, but could easily argue for Man City have elevated themselves very nicely, into the global market, in the last decade (although maybe about to experience a nasty fall). You could argue Spurs get a mention, even though their trophy cabinet is gathering dust. Villa would be a surprising Top 5 club. Off top of my head, Everton have had some decent success in their history. I'm sure there are others.

It is an unwinnable conversation, because some will base the list on trophies, some will base it on fan base worldwide, some on club value and some on current form. And, in many cases, a mixture of the above. But, if I was to give my personal list, it would be Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City

So the 5 clubs with the most trophies! Strong Argument.

If you had Liverpool above united you'd be bang on the exact list.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a Villa fan... and I think I have justifiable evidence, we are in the top 8 with ease - its how you place the big trophies.

Villa v Spurs for example - Spurs have 26 to Villa's 25 significant trophies - but Villa have a European cup...

Spurs also have a more recent history of top 4 which may factor into some peoples decisions.
Ok, next question- are the Papa Johns Trophy and Auto Windscreens Sheild classed as significant trophies? 😁

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is, all you have to do is leave the country! Utterly ridiculous

the 3pm block on a saturday is to support all the level of the pyramid down who would likly lose paying fans if the premier league games were on the tv

which ignores the elephant in the room - the massive number of folk watching 3pm kick offs (and every other EPL, championship and SPFL game) on IPTV. If it's not in the millions, it will be in the hundreds of thousands.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
which ignores the elephant in the room - the massive number of folk watching 3pm kick offs (and every other EPL, championship and SPFL game) on IPTV. If it's not in the millions, it will be in the hundred thousands.

not sure id call an illegal work around an elephant, but the current situation is super annoying for most fans, especially those who pay for sky sports/bt sport/amazon and cant watch their team half the time

the more likely solution is to totally screw over the game going fans and not play any prem games at 3pm on a saturday, tv companies would happily do friday night, saturday lunchtime, saturday tea time, saturday evening, sunday lunchtime, sunday afternoon, sunday tea time, sunday evening and monday evening

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure id call an illegal work around an elephant, but the current situation is super annoying for most fans, especially those who pay for sky sports/bt sport/amazon and cant watch their team half the time

the more likely solution is to totally screw over the game going fans and not play any prem games at 3pm on a saturday, tv companies would happily do friday night, saturday lunchtime, saturday tea time, saturday evening, sunday lunchtime, sunday afternoon, sunday tea time, sunday evening and monday evening

Next thing will be an extra tier of live matches for the TV companies to bid for, the 3.00 matches. Imagine how much the Premier League would charge TV companies for those rghts. I can even see them being pay per view to start with.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site

My 5 -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa

I wouldn't argue with the 1st 2, but Chelsea's Bates period, and, more-so, what led up to it, would drop it off my top 5 list. It's probably a consequence of when I started watching Football (mid 60s), but AV has never seemed a top 5 club to me. Similarly, friendship with several Geordies and other associations (and in spite of the Ashley era) has probably tainted my #5. And Tottenham has (almost) always been there or thereabouts So my 5 are -

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham Hotspur
5. Newcastle