The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No, actually the same as Phil, and I can't stand Spurs and their fans rascist chanting they deem is OK. I'm neither Jewish, Muslim or Arabic:)
:)

The chanting partly came about years ago with Spurs fans reclaiming the word after some opposition fans disrespecting the Jewish fan base of the club, some of these fans ( rightly or wrongly) see this as collective and being part of the identity of the club, and not racist chanting.

The club have tried to dissuade the fans from chanting the Y word THFC consulted the fans with a survey and the majority were in favour of continuing the chants and interestingly 58% of the Jewish section of fans said the chanting shouldn’t be banned.

So some might argue that the club should respect the majority view and put out a statement (as they’ve done in the past) saying the fans don’t mean any offense with these chants.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The chanting partly came about years ago with Spurs fans reclaiming the word after some opposition fans disrespecting the Jewish fan base of the club, some of these fans ( rightly or wrongly) see this as collective and being part of the identity of the club, and not racist chanting.

The club have tried to dissuade the fans from chanting the Y word THFC consulted the fans with a survey and the majority were in favour of continuing the chants and interestingly 58% of the Jewish section of fans said the chanting shouldn’t be banned.

So some might argue that the club should respect the majority view and put out a statement (as they’ve done in the past) saying the fans don’t mean any offense with these chants.

Racist when anyone else uses it, fine when they use it themselves. Cant be both!!!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Racist when anyone else uses it, fine when they use it themselves. Cant be both!!!

I think it’s different to Arsenal and Chelsea fans using racist chants at the Spurs supporters, the club has a strong Jewish identity and as I said the majority of fans including some Jewish some fans don’t see it as racist.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it’s different to Arsenal and Chelsea fans using racist chants at the Spurs supporters, the club has a strong Jewish identity and as I said the majority of fans including some Jewish some fans don’t see it as racist.

A load of non-Jewish people shouting the Y word, not racist? Come off it. In *any* capacity it’s obscene.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have to agree, sometimes it's not what is said so much as the way it is said and the intent.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So in the same football ground a spurs fan can chant a word and its fine, but if the away fans chant the same word they can be arrested

and you think this is ok?

Swango1980

Visit site
doesnt matter if they are or not, its instantly assumed theyre not, but that spurs fans are. helluva lot of aassumptions to treat people at polar opposites of the scale for using the same word
That is the complexity of language though, I suppose.

There may be groups of people who use all sorts of "banned" words to each other as terms of endearment. Abusive words, but words they proudly use as they are not ashamed of who they are.

However, if someone else used the sane words at them, someone who isn't part of that group and certainly if that person may be using the word abusively, they'll probably get a smack in the face.

Difficult in incidents like this probably, as it is much easier for authorities have black and white decisions based on particular buzz words. Having to consider context is too difficult for people these days

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
We aren’t far away from the LiV backers creating the super league if they’re happy to throw 100s of millions and DJ I’m sure a billion to Man United and co won’t be an issue

They might actually get a return

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is the complexity of language though, I suppose.

There may be groups of people who use all sorts of "banned" words to each other as terms of endearment. Abusive words, but words they proudly use as they are not ashamed of who they are.

However, if someone else used the sane words at them, someone who isn't part of that group and certainly if that person may be using the word abusively, they'll probably get a smack in the face.

Difficult in incidents like this probably, as it is much easier for authorities have black and white decisions based on particular buzz words. Having to consider context is too difficult for people these days

I does help sometimes to widen a discussion language and it’s use can be viewed in different ways.

If you look at some of the gay community who are taking back control of the word Queer, which was used in the past as an insult. Now it’s being used more and more by the gay community which negates the word redundant as an insult.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last time I was in the USA ,black guys calling each other the N word as a greeting in the bars.
we were quite shocked as we hadn’t heard that for a while.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So in the same football ground a spurs fan can chant a word and its fine, but if the away fans chant the same word they can be arrested

and you think this is ok?

Imo it has to be looked at in context the away fans will be chanting this in a derogatory manner, the Spurs fans will be chanting this in a completely different context.

23 thousand fans replied to the survey some interesting reading amongst it, opinions varied amongst the age range, surprisingly some of the younger fans didn’t even realize it was deemed as racist by some.