The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Eriksen (our most used player) out until April thanks to Andy Carroll. Good job the ref was miles away and didn't even give a card for this.......

View attachment 46222
Indeed. I guess it was only a matter of time with this "let the game flow" directive the referees seem to have been given. Sure, in many ways it has led to a better spectacle, where players are less likely to go down weakly, knowing the ref is less likely to side with them.

However, when the referees clearly go way too far at times, and are lenient in challenges like this, then defending players are going to start going in harder for challenges, knowing they'll more likely get away with it. Resulting in other players getting nasty injuries more frequently.

At one time, I remember sliding challenges from behind were very much frowned upon, including scissor type motions. At minimum, we were told it would be a yellow card, minimum.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well I've already given up hope of a signing today, I've read that we don't want to over-pay for someone in Jan who we can get for less in the summer - makes sense, but a little boring :ROFLMAO:

We have recalled Bertrand Traore from his loan - probably wise considering our current depth chart.

Predominantly Jan has been a clear out for us, a few names off the books ready for some fresh faces in the summer plus 2 players in, one for the now, one for the future.

Happy to be wrong between now and 11pm but unlikely I feel now!

Up the Villa

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I've already given up hope of a signing today, I've read that we don't want to over-pay for someone in Jan who we can get for less in the summer - makes sense, but a little boring :ROFLMAO:

We have recalled Bertrand Traore from his loan - probably wise considering our current depth chart.

Predominantly Jan has been a clear out for us, a few names off the books ready for some fresh faces in the summer plus 2 players in, one for the now, one for the future.

Up the Villa

We been doing that for years.. Sullivan doesn't want to overpay for someone in January who he can get for free in the summer

Then that person is either annoyed of waiting (lingard) or just gets a better offer because we waited around lol

Rinse and repeat

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Up the Villa

Surprised Ramsay has went on Loan, the times I’ve seen him on TV, he’s looked superb.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Good game this.

I must say, seeing Anthony Gordon sitting in the stands, I do wonder where he fits into this Newcastle side. An odd signing - squad player at best.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ally McCoist on Commentary ??????
Sky, give the man what he wants for Super Sunday, no one better at the moment, a joy to listen to ?

Always liked McCoist. Knowledgeable, articulate and a sense of humour. Very comfortable as a broadcaster and someone I would certainly like to see/hear more of.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good game this.

I must say, seeing Anthony Gordon sitting in the stands, I do wonder where he fits into this Newcastle side. An odd signing - squad player at best.
He will challenge Almiron or Willock. Almiron has gone back off the boil, looking incredibly one footed and limited again. He will add real pace and zip to the attack.

Cracking night at St James last night. They have the pre match atmosphere down to a tee now, really get the crowd going. Man City football for the opening 20 minutes or so, Southampton were awful. Watching them try, and fail, repeatedly to play out from goal kicks was plain embarrassing. Then Adam's scored a cracker from nowhere. Newcastle still in control but less so.

Second half I can only think the occasion got to the players, Newcastle were awful, Southampton suddenly woke up. Sadly for Southampton they played nice football but gave their strikers nothing to work with. Adams and Armstrong worked their socks off, fans can't have any complaints about them.

Bruno. At the time everyone thought he had won the ball but obviously not. Haven't seen a replay. He had been wound up for the previous 5-10 minutes and was an accident waiting to happen. Daft lad.

Huge relief at the end, not much beer will be left in the Toon.

A good note. At half time Jonjo Shelvey came out on the pitch to say thank you. He had been at Forest for his medical, drove back for the game. I'm friends with someone who knows him, he was settled up here, didn't want the move but realised it meant sense. Nice to see no animosity from the fans to someone leaving, he got a good round of applause.