The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Explosive stuff from Ronaldo, talk about burning his bridges!!

I'm not surpised at this interview, there was no way he was allowing EtH to drop him, fine him and make an example of him the way he did a couple of weeks ago.

Last season fans were telling us Ronaldo wasnt the problem?? ??

D

Deleted member 1740

I have just seen some clips of Ronaldo chatting with PM.
Before I go any further, I must stress how i completely dislike Piers Morgan and his obnoxious, self righteous character.

Onto Ronaldo. I have always had the utmost respect for Ronaldo as a player, he was arguably the greatest footballer I’ve ever seen but he has let his ManU team mates, fans down and his Portuguese teammates down as this storm will now be following Him and Portugal around the WC.

There’s a time and a place to air your dirty laundry in public, at the start of a World Cup is beyond the pale.

I agree with this. The media will have a field day at every Portugal press conference.

Selfish.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm not surpised at this interview, there was no way he was allowing EtH to drop him, fine him and make an example of him the way he did a couple of weeks ago.

Not me pal. Always said we we would be better without him in the side, despite the goals. We got him to stop Man Citeh buying him. It set the club back.

He's let the team and the club down imo. He might not be far off the mark with what he is saying but dont air your dirty laundry in public with Piers Morgan while you're still being paid a small fortune every week. ETH didn't have to bow to his ego and "show him respect" , he did right and treated him like every other player. Respect is earned and not turning up fornpre season and then marching down the tunnel refusing to come on as a sub isn't the way to go about it.

Perfect timing too. A month's break and the January transfer window opens. No-one would pay £12 million for him last summer because of his astronomical wages.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site

He wasn't the problem last season. The team were, clearly. Remember a guy called OGS that was manager. Remember players like McFred, Maguire and Wan Bissaka that everyone liked to remind us were awful? I don't remember ten Hag being at the club last season.

But, since he said he wanted to leave, after ten Hag said he was in his plans, has caused the problem. Missing pre season was a problem. It gave others a chance, and ten Hag has decided to favour guys who are more likely to be there longer term. Rightly so, Ronaldo could be gone January.

Ronaldo is burning his bridges. Piers Morgan, the weasel that he is, is feeding on that. Acting all matey because Ronaldo took the mick and said he had good abs, and PM using him for publicity. I've not seen any clips of interview, but I suspect it will turn out to be a very poor decision by Ronaldo.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a special level of narcissism. Self centred, utterly unprofessional. Hand your training kit back, he shouldn't even get through the gates again.

He’ll be gone come January no doubt.
I never understood why he didn’t choose a “smaller” club to end his career at, somewhere he’d be in the team week in week out and be idolised by the fans for generations “remember when Ronald played for us back in xxxx”.
Then again I’m not taking into account how huge his ego is, surprised he got through the tv studio doors ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
*He wasn't the problem last season* The team were, clearly. Remember a guy called OGS that was manager. Remember players like McFred, Maguire and Wan Bissaka that everyone liked to remind us were awful? I don't remember ten Hag being at the club last season.

But, since he said he wanted to leave, after ten Hag said he was in his plans, has caused the problem. Missing pre season was a problem. It gave others a chance, and ten Hag has decided to favour guys who are more likely to be there longer term. Rightly so, Ronaldo could be gone January.

Ronaldo is burning his bridges. Piers Morgan, the weasel that he is, is feeding on that. Acting all matey because Ronaldo took the mick and said he had good abs, and PM using him for publicity. I've not seen any clips of interview, but I suspect it will turn out to be a very poor decision by Ronaldo.

I agree with everything you say apart from the piece where you say he wasn't the problem. His attitude along with the likes of Pogba were part of the problem.

Look how good Rashford, Fernández, Martial etc etc have looked this season. It's like they have a new lease of life now the TEAM isn't "Ronaldo United". Granted, other signings (Erikesen and Martinez in particular) have helped, but for the first time in years there's passion in this side and they are playing for the shirt.

The irony of saying to Piers Morgan that he feels betrayed by Utd, at a time when the team appears to be turning a corner. The same utd for whom he didn't turn up for pre season training and wanted away from the club in the Summer ??? Bridges well and truly burnt.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree with everything you say apart from the piece where you say he wasn't the problem. His attitude along with the likes of Pogba were part of the problem.

Look how good Rashford, Fernández, Martial etc etc have looked this season. It's like they have a new lease of life now the TEAM isn't "Ronaldo United". Granted, other signings (Erikesen and Martinez in particular) have helped, but for the first time in years there's passion in this side and they are playing for the shirt.

The irony of saying to Piers Morgan that he feels betrayed by Utd, at a time when the team appears to be turning a corner. The same utd for whom he didn't turn up for pre season training and wanted away from the club in the Summer ??? Bridges well and truly burnt.
Indeed, but I wouldn't say Rashford has improved this season simply because Ronaldo hasn't started (and thet still train together). I think he has improved because the new manager has brought positivity and direction to how the team play. He had probably been coached much better, and as you day, 2 or 3 good players coming into the club.

Ronaldo did what he needed to do last year. If the team played poorly, that is on the players who played poorly, along with the manager and back room staff. Pogba rarely performed, so indeed he was one of the big issues at the club.

Ronaldo started to cause the problem when he announced he wanted to leave publicly. I can understand why he wanted to leave, but it should have been done behind closed doors. Although, perhaps he made it public as some upstairs at club refused to let him go? Who knows. But, he should have been allowed to leave, unless ten Hag was adamant he wanted him as his main striker, and Ronaldo was happy with that (not being in Champions League). Keeping an unhappy high profile player is stupid. Just like it was stupid keeping Pogba so long.

Ronaldo was childish leaving the match early the other week. After his one game suspension, that seemed to have been put behind him, and it appeared he was at least willing to go with the flow for the little time he had left at the club. So, the Piers Morgan interview seems odd to the extreme. Clearly there is no way back if he has actually slagged off the manager and some players. And it will hardly win him fans outside the club either.

Ronaldo has nothing to prove from a football standpoint. The only thing he has to prove is his ability to be a leader, support his team and drive those around him to succeed, rather than being a person who is purely selfish. He is failing on that front pretty spectacularly

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, but I wouldn't say Rashford has improved this season simply because Ronaldo hasn't started (and thet still train together). I think he has improved because the new manager has brought positivity and direction to how the team play. He had probably been coached much better, and as you day, 2 or 3 good players coming into the club.

Ronaldo did what he needed to do last year. If the team played poorly, that is on the players who played poorly, along with the manager and back room staff. Pogba rarely performed, so indeed he was one of the big issues at the club.

Ronaldo started to cause the problem when he announced he wanted to leave publicly. I can understand why he wanted to leave, but it should have been done behind closed doors. Although, perhaps he made it public as some upstairs at club refused to let him go? Who knows. But, he should have been allowed to leave, unless ten Hag was adamant he wanted him as his main striker, and Ronaldo was happy with that (not being in Champions League). Keeping an unhappy high profile player is stupid. Just like it was stupid keeping Pogba so long.

Ronaldo was childish leaving the match early the other week. After his one game suspension, that seemed to have been put behind him, and it appeared he was at least willing to go with the flow for the little time he had left at the club. So, the Piers Morgan interview seems odd to the extreme. Clearly there is no way back if he has actually slagged off the manager and some players. And it will hardly win him fans outside the club either.

Ronaldo has nothing to prove from a football standpoint. The only thing he has to prove is his ability to be a leader, support his team and drive those around him to succeed, rather than being a person who is purely selfish. He is failing on that front pretty spectacularly

It might be the coaching, but the team plays better without him. A legend like Ronaldo should be the catalyst for improvement. He knows what its like to win and should be inspiring the players around him not acting like a spoilt child.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's because, last season, he wasn't the problem.

Swango1980

Visit site
It might be the coaching, but the team plays better without him. A legend like Ronaldo should be the catalyst for improvement. He knows what its like to win and should be inspiring the players around him not acting like a spoilt child.
I agree, Ronaldo should inspire those around him. And it is clear that is his weakness off the pitch, I can't argue he had acted like a spoilt child (I can understand his frustrations, but there are ways to deal with that much better than he had done).

But, if he was the problem last season, it had nothing to do with his performances as a footballer. It will be because he failed to inspire those around him. If that is the accusation, then the problem lies with the squad of 20+ other players and manager. Imagine a team made up of individuals who fail to perform because one player doesn't inspire them.

He has become a problem this season. Any player is when they announce they don't want to be there, and certainly when they have no change of heart, and especially when the manager has no burning desire to have that player as a key member of the team. The United hierarchy still seem confused to understand when the right moment is to get rid of a player from the team. I mean, Phil Jones is still on the payroll for goodness sake.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I agree, Ronaldo should inspire those around him. And it is clear that is his weakness off the pitch, I can't argue he had acted like a spoilt child (I can understand his frustrations, but there are ways to deal with that much better than he had done).

But, if he was the problem last season, it had nothing to do with his performances as a footballer. It will be because he failed to inspire those around him. If that is the accusation, then the problem lies with the squad of 20+ other players and manager. Imagine a team made up of individuals who fail to perform because one player doesn't inspire them.

He has become a problem this season. Any player is when they announce they don't want to be there, and certainly when they have no change of heart, and especially when the manager has no burning desire to have that player as a key member of the team. The United hierarchy still seem confused to understand when the right moment is to get rid of a player from the team. I mean, Phil Jones is still on the payroll for goodness sake.

I still find this amazing, that dude has the best job in the world man

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He’ll be gone come January no doubt.
I never understood why he didn’t choose a “smaller” club to end his career at, somewhere he’d be in the team week in week out and be idolised by the fans for generations “remember when Ronald played for us back in xxxx”.
Then again I’m not taking into account how huge his ego is, surprised he got through the tv studio doors ?
I heard it was filmed on the Bond stage at Pinewood Studios. How else would they fit those two egos in one room :LOL:

I agree with your point about knowing when and how to wind down. Back to ego though. I hope that this backfires as spectacularly as it looks so far.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I don’t get with the Ronaldo's, Pogbas, Toures etc is the people they have around them. The ones that are supposed to advise them. I get they may want out, but to ostracise yourselves from your team mates, the club, especially the fans who adore the badge. I just don’t get it.
I have always felt it is about Brand Ronaldo and not Utd, Madrid or Juve. This kinda sums him up to me.
That said. who would really want him after Christmas. He had half a season left to help Utd get to play champs league football for next season. They still could qualify for it without him. But I would not touch him with a barge pole. He is poison.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

He was part of the problem, as they all were. Its a slow process to turn the ship around, but ETH has bought players with the right character and the signs are promising.

I wonder where he will go in January ? It'll be awkward if no one comes in for him.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
What I don’t get with the Ronaldo's, Pogbas, Toures etc is the people they have around them. The ones that are supposed to advise them. I get they may want out, but to ostracise yourselves from your team mates, the club, especially the fans who adore the badge. I just don’t get it.
I have always felt it is about Brand Ronaldo and not Utd, Madrid or Juve. This kinda sums him up to me.
That said. who would really want him after Christmas. He had half a season left to help Utd get to play champs league football for next season. They still could qualify for it without him. But I would not touch him with a barge pole. He is poison.

Agree with you Tashy! And in answer to who wants him - a Saudi team was the only one coming in for him in summer... So no one..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm sure you are right, he has always been selfish. In many respects, it has served him well. However, you are right about the people around him who are meant to be his advisers. I wonder if he actually has any proper advisers, or he just sacks the ones that don't agree with him? Because this interview does not help brand Ronaldo. It does the complete opposite. There are plenty of fans outside Man Utd and Real Madrid that hate Ronaldo anyway, which is natural when someone does come across selfish and they've been hugely successful at clubs these fans dislike. The interview does not turn their opinions round, just strengthens them. At same time, he is now alienating many of the fans that support the clubs he has been successful for (specifically man Utd). I wonder what his Portuguese team mates think, and the Portuguese people? I'm sure it is not the distraction they wanted going into the World Cup. I'd like to see how Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes and Dalot get on in training camp in the next week or so.

You are exactly right, what clubs are going to start rushing out to want to buy him now? I'd be very surprised if a big club, still competing at the top, does.

Heard Piers Morgan speaking on Talksport on way to work. He refuses to say when the interview was filmed. Would be interesting to know. I remember Ronaldo saying, just before the transfer window closed, that we would all know the truth in a week. I wonder if the interview was filmed before then, and he originally felt it would be aired in a week or so? Then it was delayed because he didn't get his move, and it would be too awkward for him. So they've now released it now to force a move, as the start of the season has not worked out well for him. Not sure if the interview specifically covers anything that has happened since the transfer window closed?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ronaldo made me laugh when Portugal won the Euros in 2016 and really showed himself up as someone who thinks they are bigger than the team. He went off injured very early on and then danced around in the celebrations as though he had scored 5 goals and run the match. He made sure he was front and centre in all the photos despite only scoring 3 goals int he whole tournament!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ronaldo made me laugh when Portugal won the Euros in 2016 and really showed himself up as someone who thinks they are bigger than the team. He went off injured very early on and then danced around in the celebrations as though he had scored 5 goals and run the match. He made sure he was front and centre in all the photos despite only scoring 3 goals int he whole tournament!
He was the team captain though? And I remember him hobbling around the touchline with the manager for the entire match when he could hardly walk, cheering and giving instructions to his teammates. I guess you can look at it whichever way you want but I didn't really see that as a negative on him. Would you rather he just disappeared down the tunnel and didn't care if his teammates won the trophy or not?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He was the team captain though? And I remember him hobbling around the touchline with the manager for the entire match when he could hardly walk, cheering and giving instructions to his teammates. I guess you can look at it whichever way you want but I didn't really see that as a negative on him. Would you rather he just disappeared down the tunnel and didn't care if his teammates won the trophy or not?
I'm not referring to his actions during the game, I am on about how he acted after the game, totally over the top in my opinion given his limited impact on the game (and the whole tournament)