The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not referring to his actions during the game, I am on about how he acted after the game, totally over the top in my opinion given his limited impact on the game (and the whole tournament)
As I recall the entire Portugal team was crap all tournament and it was a travesty that they won it at all. It was a sad inditement of the tournament format that allowed them to get through the group with three draws and only 3 points, then grind their way through the knockouts with penalty shoot-outs and extra time goals.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not referring to his actions during the game, I am on about how he acted after the game, totally over the top in my opinion given his limited impact on the game (and the whole tournament)
Come on now, what do you expect? His team just won the Euros. I bet there were players celebrating who hadn't played a minute all tournament. And, clearly the camera would be well and truly pointed at Ronaldo at all times. He was hardly going to sit there and barely celebrate at all. If he had toned down his celebrations, he'd have been criticised for not being happy for his team mates, and being selfish because he did not play a big part in the final, and thus holding back on his celebrations.

There is no way his actions can be justified this season. However, all this nonsense about him being THE problem at Utd last season, and loads of criticism he has had during his career says more about opposing fans than it does about Ronaldo. Whatever he does, he cannot win to many fans, there will be plenty of fans who will try and find any possible way at all to throw mud. He could have scored 60+ goals in a season, won leagues and champions leagues, and there will be millions who cannot give him any credit whatsoever. Instead, they try to find as many ways as possible to discredit Ronaldo. Finally, it looks like he is giving them an open goal

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Come on now, what do you expect? His team just won the Euros. I bet there were players celebrating who hadn't played a minute all tournament. And, clearly the camera would be well and truly pointed at Ronaldo at all times. He was hardly going to sit there and barely celebrate at all. If he had toned down his celebrations, he'd have been criticised for not being happy for his team mates, and being selfish because he did not play a big part in the final, and thus holding back on his celebrations.

There is no way his actions can be justified this season. However, all this nonsense about him being THE problem at Utd last season, and loads of criticism he has had during his career says more about opposing fans than it does about Ronaldo. Whatever he does, he cannot win to many fans, there will be plenty of fans who will try and find any possible way at all to throw mud. He could have scored 60+ goals in a season, won leagues and champions leagues, and there will be millions who cannot give him any credit whatsoever. Instead, they try to find as many ways as possible to discredit Ronaldo. Finally, it looks like he is giving them an open goal

I heard that John Terry was spotted in the tunnel in a Portugal kit

D

Deleted member 15344

Ronaldo has always been about Ronaldo

It will never surprise me the stuff that he comes out with

Maybe someone in the MLS will pay his huge wages - oh oops he can’t go there can be

D

Deleted member 15344

What am I missing here? :ROFLMAO:

There was a civil rape case against him in 2009 I think it was - he paid some money for it to go away and then there were some other people coming forward etc

Tbink the case was dismissed recently as they didn’t think he would get a fair trial but he has avoided the US to ensure there wasn’t a trial

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There was a civil rape case against him in 2009 I think it was - he paid some money for it to go away and then there were some other people coming forward etc

Tbink the case was dismissed recently as they didn’t think he would get a fair trial but he has avoided the US to ensure there wasn’t a trial

Ahhh Ronny you dirty dog

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not me pal. Always said we we would be better without him in the side, despite the goals. We got him to stop Man Citeh buying him. It set the club back.

He's let the team and the club down imo. He might not be far off the mark with what he is saying but dont air your dirty laundry in public with Piers Morgan while you're still being paid a small fortune every week. ETH didn't have to bow to his ego and "show him respect" , he did right and treated him like every other player. Respect is earned and not turning up fornpre season and then marching down the tunnel refusing to come on as a sub isn't the way to go about it.

Perfect timing too. A month's break and the January transfer window opens. No-one would pay £12 million for him last summer because of his astronomical wages.

Why aren't all Man U fans like you, Andy? :)

Spot on.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just another point on this Ronaldo interview. It strikes me as an extremely cowardly thing for him to be doing. He has basically dropped this bombshell immediately after United's last game before the break (perhaps because he knew he might still be with his work colleagues up until yesterday evening). He phoned in sick, to make sure he wasn't around them when the news broke. And, now that everything has become public, he is half way around the world and he does not have to look anyone at the club in the eye, and have some awkward conversations (apart from his Portuguese team mates). So, he will hope that things will have calmed down by the time he gets back, decisions will have been made, and he will get his wish to leave.

I suspect the interview would have been released / scheduled immediately after the transfer window in the summer, had he left. Again, so he wouldn't have to face his work colleagues.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could even be a more calculated risk. If he wants a new cllub, all of the media will be focused on him at the start of the world cup, the can write his own media agenda and any decent on pitch performances will be headline news. That cannot be a bad thing if you want to boost interest in your signature.

Interesting to see a few comments that there is more to come out of this interview. Certainly would not be unusual to drip feed all of the real bombshells over a few days to build up hype. Wonder what else is left to come.

Swango1980

Visit site
Could even be a more calculated risk. If he wants a new cllub, all of the media will be focused on him at the start of the world cup, the can write his own media agenda and any decent on pitch performances will be headline news. That cannot be a bad thing if you want to boost interest in your signature.

Interesting to see a few comments that there is more to come out of this interview. Certainly would not be unusual to drip feed all of the real bombshells over a few days to build up hype. Wonder what else is left to come.
Well, the interview is 90 minutes long. I've only heard about 2 or 3 minutes worth, so I imagine there is a lot more to come. Unless the other 85 minutes or so is Piers Morgan showing his flabby torso and Ronaldo telling him how great his muscles are :)

He possibly hopes one of the "positive" aspects are that it will heighten his publicity before the World Cup. But, let's be honest, had Ronaldo been a good boy all season, and quietly sat on the bench, he'd still have been a huge talking point at the World Cup regardless. Just like Messi and Mbappe will always be huge talking points. In reality, the interview can only drive negative feelings towards Ronaldo. What club wants a player who will openly slag everyone off within that club if things do not go as well as you hoped (especially the few that can afford him)?

I'd love to hear Wayne Rooney's reaction to the interview. Tevez and Rooney did a hell of a lot for Ronaldo in his first Man Utd spell. They ran themselves to the ground for the sake of the team, whilst Ronaldo benefited hugely from an attacking point of view. I think Rooney has always been pretty supportive and complimentary of Ronaldo and his career as well, but he simply stated the obvious that he has not acted in the best way this year. For Ronaldo to get very personal about Rooney, and how he looked, is bizarre.

Ian_George

Visit site

Seems a familiar technique! :ROFLMAO:

4LEX

Visit site
Ronaldo's behaviour has been poor all season. Ever since he announced he wanted to leave, Man Utd should have paid his contract off and signed a younger striker on the way up. To keep him and not sign a replacement was madness from ETH. It's obvious Utd are better without him but the way ETH has handled it has been poor.

To leave him on the bench out of respect against City was a smart move but to then humiliate him by trying to bring him off the bench for 2 minutes in a game already finished was needless, not that I agree with Ronaldo refusing to come on. The way he was brought back so quickly after that was also bizarre and weak. Theres no way Ronaldo is ill, he's obviously been dropped and ETH was too scared to say, hence this interview. Ronaldo is different to any other player bar Messi, you've got to handle him properly and they've messed it up. For a club the size of Man Utd to be humilated by one of their greatest players is a new low.

His comments on Rooney and Rangnick are pathetic but lot of what he says about the structure of the club and the way it's run is true. The last decade has been embarrassing with mismanagement at every turn. The club is still destined to fail because everyone from the owners, CEO and DOF through to the manager and coaches aren't good enough to deliver major trophies. It's just the same stuff every season. Poor transfer policy, huge signings and wages with no medium or long term goal. The fans are blind to it and put faith in each new manager but if you keep doing the same thing you're going to keep getting the same results.

For a supposedly attacking manager to inherit a very good squad, spend nearly £200m and have a level goal difference is actually laughable.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ronaldo's behaviour has been poor all season. Ever since he announced he wanted to leave, Man Utd should have paid his contract off and signed a younger striker on the way up. To keep him and not sign a replacement was madness from ETH. It's obvious Utd are better without him but the way ETH has handled it has been poor.

To leave him on the bench out of respect against City was a smart move but to then humiliate him by trying to bring him off the bench for 2 minutes in a game already finished was needless, not that I agree with Ronaldo refusing to come on. The way he was brought back so quickly after that was also bizarre and weak. Theres no way Ronaldo is ill, he's obviously been dropped and ETH was too scared to say, hence this interview. Ronaldo is different to any other player bar Messi, you've got to handle him properly and they've messed it up. For a club the size of Man Utd to be humilated by one of their greatest players is a new low.

His comments on Rooney and Rangnick are pathetic but lot of what he says about the structure of the club and the way it's run is true. The last decade has been embarrassing with mismanagement at every turn. The club is still destined to fail because everyone from the owners, CEO and DOF through to the manager and coaches aren't good enough to deliver major trophies. It's just the same stuff every season. Poor transfer policy, huge signings and wages with no medium or long term goal. The fans are blind to it and put faith in each new manager but if you keep doing the same thing you're going to keep getting the same results.

For a supposedly attacking manager to inherit a very good squad, spend nearly £200m and have a level goal difference is actually laughable.

There's so much in the above post that is just wrong.

Swango1980

Visit site

I just can't get round to the point that this is ten Hags fault. None of us really know what has gone on behind closed doors.

I suspect ten Hag was privately quite happy for Ronaldo to leave. The fact he has no burning to ever play him suggests that, and I seriously doubt he'll have been begging Ronaldo to stay behind the scenes, knowing he is lying to him and actually doesn't see him as a key player in the side.

I think he may well have been honest about that early on, and that had offended Ronaldo. Ronaldo then reacted by publicly saying he wanted to leave (maybe he wanted to anyway), so it was on his terms. He didn't get his move, partly because there were no takers, and maybe partly because some of the hierarchy wanted him for commercial reasons.

Either way, transfer window passed, and he remained at a club he knew that had a manager that didn't see him as a first team player week in, week out. This has hurt Ronaldo's ego, and he has publicly reacted several times to try and get the world to believe he has been treated badly. Ten Hag has done all he can do. He can hardly come out and just say Ronaldo is a player he doesn't want. Instead he has to be diplomatic and work with the cards he has been dealt, try and put as positive a spin on it he can.

But, I agree that, as soon as Ronaldo said he wanted to leave, the club should have done their absolute best to make it happen. I am sure ten Hag would have supported that, and absolutely welcomed a younger striker that fits his system.