The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

I just can't get round to the point that this is ten Hags fault. None of us really know what has gone on behind closed doors.

I suspect ten Hag was privately quite happy for Ronaldo to leave. The fact he has no burning to ever play him suggests that, and I seriously doubt he'll have been begging Ronaldo to stay behind the scenes, knowing he is lying to him and actually doesn't see him as a key player in the side.

I think he may well have been honest about that early on, and that had offended Ronaldo. Ronaldo then reacted by publicly saying he wanted to leave (maybe he wanted to anyway), so it was on his terms. He didn't get his move, partly because there were no takers, and maybe partly because some of the hierarchy wanted him for commercial reasons.

Either way, transfer window passed, and he remained at a club he knew that had a manager that didn't see him as a first team player week in, week out. This has hurt Ronaldo's ego, and he has publicly reacted several times to try and get the world to believe he has been treated badly. Ten Hag has done all he can do. He can hardly come out and just say Ronaldo is a player he doesn't want. Instead he has to be diplomatic and work with the cards he has been dealt, try and put as positive a spin on it he can.

But, I agree that, as soon as Ronaldo said he wanted to leave, the club should have done their absolute best to make it happen. I am sure ten Hag would have supported that, and absolutely welcomed a younger striker that fits his system.

It's not as easy as that.

Who, in world football, can afford to pay a fee and take his £500,000 per week wages on?

Yernited have invested an extortionate amount of money into beinging back Ronaldo, they cant be expected to just rip up his contract just because he doesnt like the manager or they've failed to qualify for CL football.

This isnt FIFA 23 or Championship manager.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The man is being payed £26M a year, it’s obvious he has no idea of the real World.
He may have been one of the best, but he’s not now and no other mug is going to pay those wages to what is a spoilt brat has been.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's not as easy as that.

Who, in world football, can afford to pay a fee and take his £500,000 per week wages on?

Yernited have invested an extortionate amount of money into beinging back Ronaldo, they cant be expected to just rip up his contract just because he doesnt like the manager or they've failed to qualify for CL football.

This isnt FIFA 23 or Championship manager.
I agree it is not easy, I was only saying that once he said he wanted to leave, club should have done their best to facilitate that. Maybe they did, and just found it impossible to get any takers, maybe they didn't. It is impossible to know what has happened behind the scenes anyway.

I wonder if the initial contract could have been written better? Such as a one year contract, with an extension depended on getting into Champions League. Thought that might have worked out better for both parties.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do Utd expect to get a fee for Ronaldo? If not, surely they have a case here for gross misconduct and tear up his contract. What other line of work could you hammer your employer and expect to remain in work, keep getting paid?

Swango1980

Visit site
Do Utd expect to get a fee for Ronaldo? If not, surely they have a case here for gross misconduct and tear up his contract. What other line of work could you hammer your employer and expect to remain in work, keep getting paid?
Do they expect a fee? I'd say absolutely not. There didn't seem to be any takers for him anyway in the summer, so they won't be rushing out to pay money for him now. Even if any club would like him, they'll know Utd will probably be desperate to get rid of him as cleanly as possible, so may well just ask for him for free (maybe even ask Utd to pay his wages!?)

Not sure exactly, not sure how is contract is written up and what all the legal implications could be. But, if you do a 90 minute interview effectively slagging off your employers and manager, then that must tick a gross misconduct box? I mean, I'm pretty sure players need to be mega careful what they post on social media, let alone say in a 90 minute interview with Piers Morgan.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do they expect a fee? I'd say absolutely not. There didn't seem to be any takers for him anyway in the summer, so they won't be rushing out to pay money for him now. Even if any club would like him, they'll know Utd will probably be desperate to get rid of him as cleanly as possible, so may well just ask for him for free (maybe even ask Utd to pay his wages!?)

Not sure exactly, not sure how is contract is written up and what all the legal implications could be. But, if you do a 90 minute interview effectively slagging off your employers and manager, then that must tick a gross misconduct box? I mean, I'm pretty sure players need to be mega careful what they post on social media, let alone say in a 90 minute interview with Piers Morgan.
That's my thinking. If Utd can rip up his contract then they are literally saving millions, apart from the satisfaction level of sacking him in disgrace.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just tear up the contract and tell him to go.
Let's face it, his value as an asset has now evaporated.
I can't see many fans investing in a Ronaldo shirt from now on and, in my opinion, that's what he was signed up for.
The fact that he scored a couple of dozen goals last season was an unexpected bonus, especially considering the team he was playing in!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

From what I have read, that is the reason he didn't go in the summer. Utd weren't prepared to cover his wages as no one was willing to pay the stupid amount he is currently on.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe Untied should deploy their inner Musk ???

NEW: Employees who have criticized Elon Musk in Twitter’s Slack channels were fired overnight over email. “We regret to inform you that your employment is terminated immediately,” they’re being told over email. “Your recent behavior has violated company policy.”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe Untied should deploy their inner Musk ???

NEW: Employees who have criticized Elon Musk in Twitter’s Slack channels were fired overnight over email. “We regret to inform you that your employment is terminated immediately,” they’re being told over email. “Your recent behavior has violated company policy.”
Just get Musk to buy the club.
That would sort Ronaldo out.
Players have responsibility just as much as the club.
The contracts are very complicated but you can’t have employees saying that about his employers.
UTD won’t get a fee for him so just terminate his contract.
See you in court.:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
obviously, or id have picked 3 at the back ;)

btw i dont like the side, its just what i think hell shoehorn on the pitch
I just thought the old wing back system was pretty set in stone now. I guess I haven't watched every England game in the last six months though.

Would he drop Foden? Our most creative player pretty much?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Decent argument to have him over Mount in that line up (I would every time) but think he goes for the safer pair of hands in midfield and then chooses between Saka and Foden for the last spot up top

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I just thought the old wing back system was pretty set in stone now. I guess I haven't watched every England game in the last six months though.

Would he drop Foden? Our most creative player pretty much?

Our most creative prem player maybe - but he's never quite played to the same level for England.

And we all know Gareth loves Mount