The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately it doesn’t matter how good the football is at this World Cup and who wins,it’s all going to be overshadowed by the unbelievably bad officiating and Var impact.
Peter Walton talking rubbish as usual,at least Dixon corrected him.

Swango1980

Visit site
The inconsistencies of VAR are mind boggling, with that first Argentina goal.

Another goal has just been ruled out for offside. Fair enough, but have any replays been shown yet to show why it was offside. Again, commentators seemed confused, and there was no graphic confirming the decision. Usually nice to see, just to see how close it was at least. I don't think it appeared offside at the time?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The inconsistencies of VAR are mind boggling, with that first Argentina goal.

Another goal has just been ruled out for offside. Fair enough, but have any replays been shown yet to show why it was offside. Again, commentators seemed confused, and there was no graphic confirming the decision. Usually nice to see, just to see how close it was at least. I don't think it appeared offside at the time?
They showed it eventually. In my mind he was level, but I'm sick of saying it now. :LOL:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I noticed Alex Scott was wearing a one love armband before the England game, not matter what people’s thoughts on wearing the armband are at least she stood up for what she believed in, and good on her I say.

Swango1980

Visit site
I noticed Alex Scott was wearing a one love armband before the England game, not matter what people’s thoughts on wearing the armband are at least she stood up for what she believed in, and good on her I say.
Absolutely, and fair play to her. However, at least she was able to make that decision on her own, and her employers would have presumably backed that decision. Unlike the players, who were asked directly by their employers, the FA, not to do so. And, if they did, then their actions could have negative consequences not just for them (in terms of potential negative feedback), but for their team mates and their nation. After all, if they ended up getting sent off, then there would also be a lot of criticism from a large amount of the English public for not focusing on their job, and focusing on a fight that is not necessarily theirs to have. The FA were directly told not to have their arm bands by FIFA, along with the footballing associations of other countries. For whatever reason, they all jointly reluctantly agreed not to wear the armband.

Personally, I'd have been happy enough to see them wear an armband, just as I am to see them take the knee. But, if they don't, then fair enough. They are footballers, so I'll judge them on that. On one hand, footballers get mocked and we are told that no footballer can ever be a role model, and then on the other hand you have fans expecting them to be the next Martin Luther King or Ghandi.

It has already been said that the biggest loser to come out of this is most likely FIFA, especially if countries are going to review their relationship with them going forward. FIFA constantly seem to bring the game into disrepute, and the various footballing associations are often harmed by this, being down the chain of command. Perhaps these footballing associations should have acted more strongly a long time ago, but for whatever reason they did not. If 5 or 6 of the biggest footballing associations did, for example by refusing to go to the World Cup at all, then that would have been a huge statement. Although, doing so purely on human rights issues would be considered hypocritical by many, when football, other sports and other businesses quite happily have many interactions with the Middle East, China, Russia, etc. The reality is, if we were to go in hard on human rights, we'd never play any sport outside Western Europe, North America, Japan and Australia (and to be fair, each of those countries still have questionable laws in regard to morality)

D

Deleted member 15344

All a bit embarrassing all round to be honest

Wonder which club will pick him up

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All a bit embarrassing all round to be honest

Wonder which club will pick him up
Not sure what United did wrong. Ronaldo was a signed player and should have adhered to the rules like everyone else. You moan that people look for a Liverpool angle with your posts yet you can't resist having a dig at United when they weren't in the wrong. Ronaldo knew what he was doing and wanted to engineer a quick exit. Whether he'll get picked up by a club as he seems high risk is a different matter

D

Deleted member 15344

On Ronaldo's part .......................... very.

He has certainly made an idiot of himself and he was the poster boy of the poor recruitment policy at the time

Was bought to stop another club getting him , given huge wages - club should have to got it sorted in the summer , nice clean break before it got to the stage of that embarrassing interview.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
He has certainly made an idiot of himself and he was the poster boy of the poor recruitment policy at the time

Was bought to stop another club getting him , given huge wages - club should have to got it sorted in the summer , nice clean break before it got to the stage of that embarrassing interview.

There were no offers of any interest to Ronaldo, maybe he should have got it sorted in the summer.
EtH still had a place in his plans for Ronaldo, it was Ronaldo who rocked the boat.
The manager, in my opinion, has nowt to be embarrassed about, just a lot to be angry about.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There were no offers of any interest to Ronaldo, maybe he should have got it sorted in the summer.
EtH still had a place in his plans for Ronaldo, it was Ronaldo who rocked the boat.
The manager, in my opinion, has nowt to be embarrassed about, just a lot to be angry about.

I agree no blame on the manager, slightly more murky as to whether some of those upstairs are part to blame but Ronaldo clearly shoulders the vast majority of it.

would like to have been a fly on the wall when Bruno found out

D

Deleted member 15344

The manager made his call - it’s up to him what players he wants to pick etc

But I suspect that he wasn’t in his plans beyond someone there just in case but would have preferred to move him on to release that vast wage from the bill but imo above the manager prob looked at the shirts sales money etc

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree no blame on the manager, slightly more murky as to whether some of those upstairs are part to blame but Ronaldo clearly shoulders the vast majority of it.

would like to have been a fly on the wall when Bruno found out

They are to blame for an awful lot, the sooner they follow Ronaldo, the better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The manager made his call - it’s up to him what players he wants to pick etc

But I suspect that he wasn’t in his plans beyond someone there just in case but would have preferred to move him on to release that vast wage from the bill but imo above the manager prob looked at the shirts sales money etc

Of course they bean counters all sit there and look at shirt sales. That revenue goes straight into the club as you well know and it may or may not influence how much a board releases to spend on players. but it has nothing to do with the manager. Didn't Ronaldo come under OGS and I am not sure he knew or wanted the deal and it was influenced from above. Ten Hag has merely been left with the player on the books and made it clear what his plans were. Ronaldo didn't like it and engineered his exit

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So Liverpool are for sale and now Utd. Have the American owners had there fun and decided to leave town. ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shirt sales - most deals now are a flat fee. Whether 1 shirt or 100k shirts are sold won't change the amount the club get. It will change the fee for the next deal but not the current one. The mfr, Nike, Adidas etc gets the money from sales, not the clubs.

Ronaldo's shirt sales therefore make next to no difference to utd, who already have a stonking deal. Thought it worth debunking this line of argument.