The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

CountLippe

Visit site
I think to an extent in the past you could have a point. City were getting mega deals that at the time they were signed, there were suggestions they were over inflated, compared to what other teams were getting re shirt sponsorship etc etc. City like other teams have associated companies connected to them like Nexen tyres. Citys response to overinflated sponsorship deals was along the lines of the companies will get massive coverage in the future. it was all subjective. However as it turns out, that has been the case. City were involved in three of the top five viewed games last year in the Prem. Top viewed game v Liverpool. There’s a good read up on the Manc evening news.
Bottom line, it appears things are looking rosy for a good few years yet at the Council house.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-city-financial-report-2022-25445567

It doesn't really pass the smell test though does it?
They had a higher revenue than United? City don't sell out their home games.
They were involved in top viewed games? I was under the impression that the top 3 teams for average viewing figures were Liverpool, United and Spurs.
I note the figures regarding player sales specifically refer to player registrations with no mention of wages.

Now I don't that City are an exceptionally well run club with the finest administrators money can buy, considering their fan base, but the figures are exaggerated.

D

Deleted member 15344

They were involved in top viewed games? I was under the impression that the top 3 teams for average viewing figures were Liverpool, United and Spurs.
I note the figures regarding player sales specifically refer to player registrations with no mention of wages.

Now I don't that City are an exceptionally well run club with the finest administrators money can buy, considering their fan base, but the figures are exaggerated.

City have been caught manufacturing the books and inflating their sponsership but they know now that it doesn’t matter as they can get away with it - that was shown when UEFA punished them and with expensive lawyers and delay tactics got away with it

FFP was shown to be toothless at that point

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

This in a nutshell, they're so smart with their business - but some of your arguments are flawed.

Home game revenue is drop in the ocean for City surely... Selling out every week isn't going to make a huge difference - but they do average 52k per game in a 55k stadium so its not a bad effort, they're in the top 6 supported sides in the prem.

Wages are included in the clubs expenditures, the profits are profits..

Average viewing figures are different to individual game figures.. I don't doubt that Liverpool City brought in some fans - I watched it!

Its the overseas revenue that's keeping them going, sending their players out to Dubai for pre season shows and commercial stuff - mega bucks! I saw clips of their players on like stages doing meet and greets with Saudi fans etc - they'll be paid MILLIONS to be there!

D

Deleted member 1740

As a worldwide fanbase, there's no way they make more than Madrid/Barca or Yernited commercially.

Edited heres what i meant......

https://offthepitch.com/a/exclusive...no-staff-no-active-products-and-being-run-out

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As a worldwide fanbase, there's no way they make more than Madrid/Barca or Yernited commercially.

Iirc 1 of their recent massive deals with a UAE Hotel chain never actually owned any hotels.

They had so much in player sales though! 160m in the summer alone!

United buy high and sell low - as do Barca - City always seem to make a profit on everyone!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
City have been caught manufacturing the books and inflating their sponsership but they know now that it doesn’t matter as they can get away with it - that was shown when UEFA punished them and with expensive lawyers and delay tactics got away with it

FFP was shown to be toothless at that point
So the proposed new Standard Chartered sponsorship deal which is reported to be worth £80 million is not over inflated? This is £20 million more than any other previous deals worldwide.
And this is despite the fact that SC is linked with China v Hong Kong controversies and other issues during the time they have been shirt sponsors.

D

Deleted member 1740

They had so much in player sales though! 160m in the summer alone!

United buy high and sell low - as do Barca - City always seem to make a profit on everyone!

Isn't that the 1st summer they've returned a profit?

The Haaland £51.4m deal (excluding the undisclosed commonly known payments to his dad Etc) questions the validity of that £160m "profit"

D

Deleted member 15344

So the proposed new Standard Chartered sponsorship deal which is reported to be worth £80 million is not over inflated? This is £20 million more than any other previous deals worldwide.
And this is despite the fact that SC is linked with China v Hong Kong controversies and other issues during the time they have been shirt sponsors.

The SC deal is worth £50mil a year an increase of £10mil a year.

CountLippe

Visit site
This in a nutshell, they're so smart with their business - but some of your arguments are flawed.

Home game revenue is drop in the ocean for City surely... Selling out every week isn't going to make a huge difference - but they do average 52k per game in a 55k stadium so its not a bad effort, they're in the top 6 supported sides in the prem.

Wages are included in the clubs expenditures, the profits are profits..

Average viewing figures are different to individual game figures.. I don't doubt that Liverpool City brought in some fans - I watched it!

Its the overseas revenue that's keeping them going, sending their players out to Dubai for pre season shows and commercial stuff - mega bucks! I saw clips of their players on like stages doing meet and greets with Saudi fans etc - they'll be paid MILLIONS to be there!

There is legitimate income - ticket sales to the general public and TV revenue which is merit based. There is a grey area around player sales, but probably not too far off (They have a free run on most purchases because no one can compete with personal terms).

The remainder is paying themselves with their own money and calling it income. Its preposterous.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
good luck making one on Grealish lol

Oh we all know that was silly money for a player who didn't actually improve them.

I do wonder how much longer he stays at City if his numbers don't improve. They signed him to a 6 year deal!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you buy enough players then you are bound to have some duff deals along the way. I'd say City's ratio is pretty darned impressive and whilst they clearly over payed for Grealish I still think he does a lot for the team. I also think he will continue to improve with them and offer them something others don't give them. City can afford that luxury, particularly when they sell on fairly well, so far anyway.