The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On the basis of my own personal opinion that Sterling is an awful footballer ?
There’s a reason he’s no longer at City.

Yeah they signed Jack for 100m and had to be seen to play him! Still valuable and someone offered 60m for him... Easy business transaction.

You're not going to sell Foden or KDB, Mahrez and Silva have a lower value as they're older, Alavrez is younger and upcoming.

Really, he was the only option to sell.

He also carried England on his back in the Euros.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On what basis do you make that argument? Sterling has over 100 premier league goals at the same age as Jack.. Jack has 4 prem goals since he joined City.
People forget things quickly in football. Sterling scored 31 goals in 2019/20 season. 25 and 23 in the seasons before that. Then they started rotating him out of the team more and the numbers dropped. He's not really done the business yet in a sort of transitional Chelsea side, but I still feel he's really underrated and there's a top player in him. His off the ball movement is his best attribute, which is easy to miss I guess.

D

Deleted member 29109

People forget things quickly in football. Sterling scored 31 goals in 2019/20 season. 25 and 23 in the seasons before that. Then they started rotating him out of the team more and the numbers dropped. He's not really done the business yet in a sort of transitional Chelsea side, but I still feel he's really underrated and there's a top player in him. His off the ball movement is his best attribute, which is easy to miss I guess.

I would take Sterling over Jack all day long.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Wow, I thought he was garbage, granted he scored 3 goals but his overall play was shocking, selfish and lacks a decent footballing brain. See he’s flying at Chelsea ?

3 goals which without we wouldn't have made it so far.. Pep had him playing to a really high level - in a very clever system, so he's clearly got football IQ. He's a 100 club member for a reason.

Does a poor start at Chelsea make him a bad player? Not one bit! Think you're a bit blinkered mate he walks into any side in the country and makes them better (Bar City)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Wow, I thought he was garbage, granted he scored 3 goals but his overall play was shocking, selfish and lacks a decent footballing brain. See he’s flying at Chelsea ?

So the manager whose target he was and had a plan for him is sacked and replaced by a manager who keeps drawing playing positions out of a hat and it’s the player’s fault he hasn’t settled? Jesus. ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does a poor start at Chelsea make him a bad player? Not one bit! Think you're a bit blinkered mate he walks into any side in the country and makes them better (Bar City)

I’ve seen enough of him to see what he really is, he’s made Chelsea worse, I don’t think he’d improve Liverpool (then again ?), Spurs not sure, Arsenal maybe, Man Utd maybe. It’s probably better to ask their fans what they think, would they be happy signing him and starting every week?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3 goals which without we wouldn't have made it so far.. Pep had him playing to a really high level - in a very clever system, so he's clearly got football IQ. He's a 100 club member for a reason.

Happy enough with Saka and Martinelli rather than Sterling thanks, be a decent bench option though :)

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think it would be fair to call him rubbish, given what he did at City and the fact he has had good times with England.

Although, I get the frustration element. When myself and mates watched the Euros (watched most games together), we were constantly moaning about Sterling, as he can be incredibly frustrating. It was a more of a "typical" reaction when he actually scored. Not sure if he is like an Andy Cole type, who gets into many good positions, but then messes up a lot more of them. So, he looks like a much worse player than another, who may get fewer chances, but is clinical when they get them.

But, getting yourself into as many dangerous positions as he does is a skill in itself. He can't be accused of hiding in games, he is brave enough to put him in positions that he might mess it up and have to listen to the groans of fans. But, he keeps plugging away. It would be interesting to hear the genuine opinion of defenders who play against him. Do they enjoy it, knowing he will probably miss a load of chances. Or, do they find him a nightmare as he has them running all over the place?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Happy enough with Saka and Martinelli rather than Sterling thanks, be a decent bench option though :)

You know as well as I do that Sterling is better than Saka as it currently stands.

Saka has great potential, but he's lets be honest, Sterling improves Arsenal.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You know as well as I do that Sterling is better than Saka as it currently stands.

Saka has great potential, but he's lets be honest, Sterling improves Arsenal.
Most of Sterling’s goals at City were tap ins because of the quality of the service.
It’s when he has to make a decision that it goes pear shaped.
He very rarely makes the right one,
But better than Saka ? Not for me.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Most of Sterling’s goals at City were tap ins because of the quality of the service.
It’s when he has to make a decision that it goes pear shaped.
He very rarely makes the right one,
But better than Saka ? Not for me.

Reckon Saka makes the 100 club?