The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

The end result you will both be out.
Looks like Lampard is taking PL survival seriously ?

Maybe so, but any excuse to laugh at our favourite blooooooooo betheren i'll take??

Lampard has a worse record than what Benitez had last year after the same amount of games and he's spent £100mil more?

CountLippe

Visit site
I attached a link, did you read it. I don’t think so.
So here’s another.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj02JCRr5_7AhVvQUEAHesCCFwQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https://www.1sports1.com/premier-league-clubs-ranked-according-to-attendance-percentage/&usg=AOvVaw0q_PxqktKV40Q05ZoFj1yp
I don’t expect you to read that either. Now here’s the point, Not one club in the prem is sold out to 100% capacity with West Ham at the top of the pile at 99.9% and City at 96. Summat percent. But seriously what does the dont sell out comment actually mean. The top three average viewing figures is different from the top five viewed games from last season.
What exactly is the smell test though. Coz from where I sit I am smelling Chanel compared to the smell that the Glaziers have created over at old Trafford. A clubs owners that have taken millions and millions from the club where as City have put money into the game.

I did read your first article, its written by a City fan who has no interest in explaining how city, despite being not as popular or as important, have managed to dwarf the commercial income of the traditional successful clubs. It's because it's their own money.

Regarding attendances, I am unaware of any protocol for reporting accurate figures, but I do know that I see rows and rows of empty seats at the ethiad, especially champions league games and that City failed to sell out their allocation for other big games such as the FA Cup semi final. I would have expected a club who have the highest commercial revenue to have a fan base big enough to ensure this doesn't happen.

Regarding the viewing figures, you would expect any team who won the league title on the final day of the season to have been involved in the most viewed individual fixtures, regardless of who they are. However, you would expect the club who are able to achieve the highest commercial revenue, to be the most popular to watch on TV week in week out, yet they are not even amongst the top 3.

You might smell Chanel, I'd imagine most folk smell sports washing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Glazers. That is a different topic and I don't think anyone has the wool pulled over their eyes.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yet again, year after year, I dont understand why the so called mid table clubs are making 11 changes in the League Cup and going out in the early rounds, especially in a year when the top sides are really unlikely to be flat out in this comp in a world cup year. Where else are they going to have a chance of a trophy and a spot in Europe?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yet again, year after year, I dont understand why the so called mid table clubs are making 11 changes in the League Cup and going out in the early rounds, especially in a year when the top sides are really unlikely to be flat out in this comp in a world cup year. Where else are they going to have a chance of a trophy and a spot in Europe?
Sadly, the finances involved in PL survival far outweigh the gains in a cup run. the last time I looked, the winner gets £100k for the league cup and something like. £1.4m for the FA cup.

Would the fans love a cup run? Absolutely. Do the boardroom, and by extension the managers, really care? Not at all.

Swango1980

Visit site
Sadly, the finances involved in PL survival far outweigh the gains in a cup run. the last time I looked, the winner gets £100k for the league cup and something like. £1.4m for the FA cup.

Would the fans love a cup run? Absolutely. Do the boardroom, and by extension the managers, really care? Not at all.
That would pay Haaland's wages for about 10 days :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What help to staying in the Premier League is making 11 changes one game before the majority of your squad gets a 6 week holiday in the middle of the season? If anything you could strongly argue they need more playing time together not less on recent evidence! Not like a side like Everton are going to have a congested fixture calendar post xmas either, get themselves knocked out of the FA Cup playing the reserves and then they can play 1 game a week for the rest of the season to celebrate finishing 16th?

Surely a cup run provides some extra money, some extra momentum and team morale and if it culminates in a trophy they then get European revenue the following year. Genuinely dont see what theyre gaining by not playing a strong side at Bournemouth last night

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
What help to staying in the Premier League is making 11 changes one game before the majority of your squad gets a 6 week holiday in the middle of the season? If anything you could strongly argue they need more playing time together not less on recent evidence! Not like a side like Everton are going to have a congested fixture calendar post xmas either, get themselves knocked out of the FA Cup playing the reserves and then they can play 1 game a week for the rest of the season to celebrate finishing 16th?

Surely a cup run provides some extra money, some extra momentum and team morale and if it culminates in a trophy they then get European revenue the following year. Genuinely dont see what theyre gaining by not playing a strong side at Bournemouth last night

Oh I agree entirely. I didn't pay any attention to the games last night. Did bournemouth put out a decent side, or was it an occasion where Bournemouth's 11 was just less bad than Everton's? Rotation I get. Give playing time to a few kids, especially if you're playing a much smaller side and can afford to risk it, yep that makes sense. But all 11 against a PL team? Madness to me.

Cup runs are brilliant. Especially when you win both in one season! I certainly can't see that happening this season!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh I agree entirely. I didn't pay any attention to the games last night. Did bournemouth put out a decent side, or was it an occasion where Bournemouth's 11 was just less bad than Everton's? Rotation I get. Give playing time to a few kids, especially if you're playing a much smaller side and can afford to risk it, yep that makes sense. But all 11 against a PL team? Madness to me.

Cup runs are brilliant. Especially when you win both in one season! I certainly can't see that happening this season!

Think Bournemouth made 8 changes and Everton 11 lol

Swango1980

Visit site

The only thing I can think off is that the EFL Cup is an opportunity to play a lot more of the fringe squad players. From those games, Lampard might have been able to identify one or two players that deserve their chance in the Premier League. Whereas, if he just keeps playing what he considers to be his best 11-15, then there will be a lot of players he never gets to see in action for the first team. Makes it riskier if he ever wants to bring them into the team in the PL down the line.

But I agree that there seems to be little case in rotating players for the purpose of resting his so called first 11, given the break that is about to come about.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And no doubt the fans paid full price for the privilege of two top class sides entertaining them!

Think the Bournemouth fans were happy with what they paid lol, not so sure the Everton fans who made the 250+ mile journey and are back there again at the weekend!!!!

I know Arsenal dont charge full price for the League Cup games anymore, not sure about other clubs but expect most are at a discounted rate

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing I can think off is that the EFL Cup is an opportunity to play a lot more of the fringe squad players. From those games, Lampard might have been able to identify one or two players that deserve their chance in the Premier League. Whereas, if he just keeps playing what he considers to be his best 11-15, then there will be a lot of players he never gets to see in action for the first team. Makes it riskier if he ever wants to bring them into the team in the PL down the line.

But I agree that there seems to be little case in rotating players for the purpose of resting his so called first 11, given the break that is about to come about.

Have only seen the goals but from the report I saw it sounded like he had 11 players who looked like theyd never played together before, mainly because, theyd never played together before. Maybe Im out of touch but surely you play 6 or 7 of your first team and try a few fringe players in that side. By all means rest Pickford and Coady but I think that was it it for fit players who may be going to the WC

Be interesting to see the sides some of the others put out tonight

Swango1980

Visit site
Have only seen the goals but from the report I saw it sounded like he had 11 players who looked like theyd never played together before, mainly because, theyd never played together before. Maybe Im out of touch but surely you play 6 or 7 of your first team and try a few fringe players in that side. By all means rest Pickford and Coady but I think that was it it for fit players who may be going to the WC

Be interesting to see the sides some of the others put out tonight
Yeah, and it is especially easy to discuss the error in his ways after a defeat. The EFL Cup is probably a competition that allows managers to put in a load of players they never really play, give them a run out, keep them marginally happier. If they play rubbish, they can explain they have failed to prove themselves, and must try harder in training. If they play really well, it gives him another option in the future PL games. Only when they get through a few rounds, then some managers start to consider stronger sides, as they are closer to actually getting to the final.

As a Utd fan, I won't be bothered if ten Hag plays a complete reserve team on Thursday. I want to win, and will be annoyed if we lose. But, in the grand scheme of things, there will be no real heartache from me at going out in the EFL Cup.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah, and it is especially easy to discuss the error in his ways after a defeat. The EFL Cup is probably a competition that allows managers to put in a load of players they never really play, give them a run out, keep them marginally happier. If they play rubbish, they can explain they have failed to prove themselves, and must try harder in training. If they play really well, it gives him another option in the future PL games. Only when they get through a few rounds, then some managers start to consider stronger sides, as they are closer to actually getting to the final.

As a Utd fan, I won't be bothered if ten Hag plays a complete reserve team on Thursday. I want to win, and will be annoyed if we lose. But, in the grand scheme of things, there will be no real heartache from me at going out in the EFL Cup.

lol you think i didnt say this before the result? been saying it for years about sides in both cups, especially mid table sides!

bit different for man utd, theyve a chance of top 4, theyre in the KO stages of the europa league and the vast majority of their squad will be going to the world cup, very very different scenario to the one Everton for eg were in

Swango1980

Visit site
lol you think i didnt say this before the result? been saying it for years about sides in both cups, especially mid table sides!

bit different for man utd, theyve a chance of top 4, theyre in the KO stages of the europa league and the vast majority of their squad will be going to the world cup, very very different scenario to the one Everton for eg were in
You took the tone of my comment out of context (not a surprise given then typical tone of arguments on social media). I wasn't criticising your point of view, just generally saying it is easier to criticise a manger in any game if it doesn't work out. If Everton had won (which presumably Lampard still thought there was a good chance with the players available), then it would have been classed as a good decision most likely. Whereas if he picked a strong side, and they still lost, then he could be criticised for not freshening things up and giving others a chance.

But, yes, there is definitely a stronger case for Everton to be playing a very strong side in the EFL Cup compared to a team like that may be in Europe, for example. So, if they do play a weak side, then as per my original comment, I suspect it is more related to giving as many squad players a chance to shine, rather than resting players for the Premier League. Rightly or wrongly.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems the full range tonight, Spurs and Southampton playing pretty much a full strength side, Liverpool and Leeds appear to have made 11 changes, Arsenal 10 the rest are somewhere in between it with half and half sides mainly

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems the full range tonight, Spurs and Southampton playing pretty much a full strength side, Liverpool and Leeds appear to have made 11 changes, Arsenal 10 the rest are somewhere in between it with half and half sides mainly

We have made wholesale changes but Areola is my preferred keeper

Aguard is getting back to fitness and will be first choice when fit

11 changes, let's see if they can be worse than the first team