The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We lost 22 players and signed 21...Every player we signed (except 3, who went straight out on loan) will make the squad.

I think they need to have an overhaul of the loan system as this sort of thing is wrong in my opinion. If you sign a player you should keep him, at least until the next transfer window before any loan deals, or what is the point of signing him - apart from some dodgy FFP dealings?

Was it Chelsea a few years ago who had more players out on loan than they had in the 1st team squad?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if anyone subscribes to The Athletic, but this article is absolutely remarkable and explains every single facet of Forest's summer business (transfers and everything else)

https://theathletic.com/3558295/2022/09/02/nottingham-forest-transfer-window/

It's worth the subscription price alone (new users can get 6 months for £1/month or I have some 30 day guest passes if anyone wants to trial it - much better sports content overall than any other media outlet)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they need to have an overhaul of the loan system as this sort of thing is wrong in my opinion. If you sign a player you should keep him, at least until the next transfer window before any loan deals, or what is the point of signing him - apart from some dodgy FFP dealings?

Was it Chelsea a few years ago who had more players out on loan than they had in the 1st team squad?

To ensure you secure the services of a player you want for the future whilst ensuring they get regular game time for their development.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure if anyone subscribes to The Athletic, but this article is absolutely remarkable and explains every single facet of Forest's summer business (transfers and everything else)

https://theathletic.com/3558295/2022/09/02/nottingham-forest-transfer-window/

It's worth the subscription price alone (new users can get 6 months for £1/month or I have some 30 day guest passes if anyone wants to trial it - much better sports content overall than any other media outlet)

Loved the comment that Forest spent more in one transfer window than they had spent in their 150+ year history!!!!

Have been a fan but as a site its definitely gone a little downhill standard wise, huge increase in clickbait articles recently, I guess theyve got to try and balance the books. Definitely get more club focussed articles than elsewhere albeit they do come from the same viewpoint most of the time

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Loved the comment that Forest spent more in one transfer window than they had spent in their 150+ year history!!!!

Have been a fan but as a site its definitely gone a little downhill standard wise, huge increase in clickbait articles recently, I guess theyve got to try and balance the books. Definitely get more club focussed articles than elsewhere albeit they do come from the same viewpoint most of the time

Yea, it's still leagues ahead of other sites, but you're not wrong on the clickbait stuff...but being able to filter and control what you follow helps.

and yep, ridiculous stat - but fair play to the owner for putting his money where his mouth is.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
But how many actually come back and become a regular for the parent club? I bet the majority don't

I'll let you know next season haha.

The South American wondered we signed will be a long term prospect who will definitely come back unless someone throws buckets of money at us for him. Bowler is contingency for next season if we go down, but can see him slotting into the side even if we stay up. The Korean kid, I know nothing about, and was a bit weird, but he's really good, by all accounts.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yea, it's still leagues ahead of other sites, but you're not wrong on the clickbait stuff...but being able to filter and control what you follow helps.

and yep, ridiculous stat - but fair play to the owner for putting his money where his mouth is.

one crazy ride for sure (enjoy!!!) but that stat puts what Forest have done and the premier league generally into perspective, utterly ridiculous amounts of money sloshing around currently

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
one crazy ride for sure (enjoy!!!) but that stat puts what Forest have done and the premier league generally into perspective, utterly ridiculous amounts of money sloshing around currently

Yea, it's ridiculous. But £160m spent on 21 players isn't too bad when you look at Chelsea who have spent nearly £100m more on considerably less. But further evidence that there's too much money floating about.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll politely disagree. :). I think the officials do an excellent job and are unfairly judged by some fans and experts who don't know the laws of the game well enough.

Fair enough :) But Bristol City, for example, have been on the wrong end of some really questionable decisions already this season and had at least two apologies from the EFL about wrong decisions. Not ideal really.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough :) But Bristol City, for example, have been on the wrong end of some really questionable decisions already this season and had at least two apologies from the EFL about wrong decisions. Not ideal really.

Yeah, that will always happen though, if we are talking subjective decisions and no VAR. I'm sure Bristol City will get a generous decision somewhere down the line :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Aztecs27 - I'll be interested to see what you make of Emmanuel Dennis. For us in periods he was excellent, but goes missing oh so often. One time, I didn't notice he was sent off for offences he was that anonymous! He'll be good until Xmas then go AWOL is my prediction!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Aztecs27 - I'll be interested to see what you make of Emmanuel Dennis. For us in periods he was excellent, but goes missing oh so often. One time, I didn't notice he was sent off for offences he was that anonymous! He'll be good until Xmas then go AWOL is my prediction!

Worryingly, you're the second Watford fan to say basically exactly the same :LOL:. He'll either want to play, or be banished to the U21's - so it's up to him. We signed enough scorers that him not pulling his weight would make him expendable.

So I'm hoping that Cooper works his magic and nurtures him, to ensure he's well motivated and wanting to win...we shall see.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

When you think that 2 Premiership Rugby clubs may go under for the sake of the sort of money paid for a mid level signing in the premier league and you realise how far ahead football is when it comes to the finances.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder how many decisions, tough ones to, the officials get correct? Possibly many many times more than the ones they get wrong. Officials and fans barely remember those, probably not even discuss them at all. Newspapers don't highlight these correct decisions on their headlines.

However, as soon as an official makes a decision that turns out to be incorrect, even if it could have been tricky to make with the naked eye, then there is outrage from everyone. It is no wonder people think officials are rubbish, despite the fact they have had more training than any of us have had, sitting on our backside watching Match of the Day. It always makes me laugh when ex-footballing pundits criticise refs, using the line "they've not played the game". Next time they say that, just remember the next time a player gets sent off in which most people universally agree it was the correct decision, yet the ex-footballing manager of the player, or an isolated ex-footballing pundit starts to give their opinion why it should never have been a red card. Sometimes I think footballers are the worst culprits of actually not knowing the rules.