The Cricket Thread

Visit site
Wisden explain it pretty well here...

I understand the law but Smith didn’t have his fingers under it, or it wouldn’t have touched the ground as photographed. It was not a catch by any definition.

RichA

Visit site
I understand the law but Smith didn’t have his fingers under it, or it wouldn’t have touched the ground as photographed. It was not a catch by any definition.
In addition to explaining the law, the article describes the effect of foreshortening of an image and how it skews reality in this situation. Everybody in cricket has known about foreshortening for about 20 years. That's why hardly anybody makes a fuss about that type of situation anymore.

sunshine

Visit site
Bairstow - a brain fart, he should have known better. Carey caught the ball and threw it at the stumps straight away, there was no pause which could be construed as the end of the over. Bairstow needs to look behind him before leaving his crease.

Spirit of the game - a warning would have been nice. The golf equivalent is watching your opponent about to break a rule. Do you warn them or let them tee off in front of the markers for example?

Smith - as a fielder it's very hard in those situations to know if the ball is grounded. As the catcher you feel your fingers on the turf under the ball and the catch is good, you can't really tell if the ball is touching the turf too, especially as it happens so fast. It suits the narrative that Smith is a cheat though :LOL:

Starc - blatantly grounded the ball, he was fully aware he was resting on the ball. For me this is the most shameless incident. Every child playing cricket learns this. Starc tried to cheat.

sunshine

Visit site
View attachment 48337

When i first saw the headlines, i thought it was somthing to do with the current lot in the Parliament... but then..
I can understand if you are joe public in the stand giving them a hard time after a few tins .. but not in the long room..

When you look at the video of the incident it seems the steward in the cream blazer is the one doing all the pushing and shoving. Obviously words are being exchanged between the MCC members and players. I imagine the member is criticising the quality of Australian shiraz and saying he will stick to Bordeaux.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
When you look at the video of the incident it seems the steward in the cream blazer is the one doing all the pushing and shoving. Obviously words are being exchanged between the MCC members and players. I imagine the member is criticising the quality of Australian shiraz and saying he will stick to Bordeaux.

The suggestion I heard on the radio today (may have been David Lloyd but don’t quote me) was that a certain David Warner was very much fanning the flames as Australia walked through the Long Room.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s yesterday’s news. If you concentrate on yesterday, you aren’t concentrating on tomorrow. File it in the ‘be careful’ drawer for education, and go kick butts.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s yesterday’s news. If you concentrate on yesterday, you aren’t concentrating on tomorrow. File it in the ‘be careful’ drawer for education, and go kick butts.
All I hope that this fires up the teams… question is, which team will it galvanise more??

Billysboots

Visit site

Agree it’s time to move on, but if you can ignore the fact this is from the Daily Mail, it’s nevertheless worth a read. Stuart Broad makes some valid points, particularly regarding comparisons with the Labuschagne and de Grandhomme incidents.

RichA

Visit site

Agree it’s time to move on, but if you can ignore the fact this is from the Daily Mail, it’s nevertheless worth a read. Stuart Broad makes some valid points, particularly regarding comparisons with the Labuschagne and de Grandhomme incidents.
Also agree it's time to move on and love Stuart Broad, but find his short memory and lack of self-awareness a bit daft. He has a history of edging then not walking, pressurising umpires with silly appeals and sharing conspiratorial sniggers with his team-mates when they've benefited from iffy decisions.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Also agree it's time to move on and love Stuart Broad, but find his short memory and lack of self-awareness a bit daft. He has a history of edging then not walking, pressurising umpires with silly appeals and sharing conspiratorial sniggers with his team-mates when they've benefited from iffy decisions.
Plus, that bandana.

Billysboots

Visit site

I totally get the pressuring umpires with appeals. If the decision for an LBW goes your way and the batter reviews, then umpire’s call becomes crucial.

He’s Marmite, Stuart Broad. But he does talk very well when off the pitch. Got a decent future in broadcasting if he chooses to go down that path.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally get the pressuring umpires with appeals. If the decision for an LBW goes your way and the batter reviews, then umpire’s call becomes crucial.

He’s Marmite, Stuart Broad. But he does talk very well when off the pitch. Got a decent future in broadcasting if he chooses to go down that path.
He did a little bit last year and was very comfortable. He will slot in nicely.