The Cricket Thread

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cricket isn't doing itself any favours by still making this a legal move...but...
If the vast majority are against it..why is it still in the book.?
And, if it's still in the book, why is it perceived as poor etiquette..?
It's either one or the other.
Accept it as a legitimate means of dismissal or bin it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cricket isn't doing itself any favours by still making this a legal move...but...
If the vast majority are against it..why is it still in the book.?
And, if it's still in the book, why is it perceived as poor etiquette..?
It's either one or the other.
Accept it as a legitimate means of dismissal or bin it.

The issue is though players are trying to steal a run - if they didn’t leave the crease until the ball is released then it wouldn’t happen - but I’m more in favour of warning only

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The issue is though players are trying to steal a run - if they didn’t leave the crease until the ball is released then it wouldn’t happen - but I’m more in favour of warning only

I always thought at first it was a
Warning only.

I bet the bcci would be fuming of it happened to India and they’d want the rules changed - just like they didn’t want DRS at first as the Indian batsman were prone to being LBW

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always thought at first it was a
Warning only.

I bet the bcci would be fuming of it happened to India and they’d want the rules changed - just like they didn’t want DRS at first as the Indian batsman were prone to being LBW

Nah the Indian players men and women love a mankad, only have to see the utterly classless Ashwins opinion lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
???

That’s shocking- why didn’t the 3rd umpire get involved

Ive only just come in so not seen what happened really but assume that the frame is before she plants her front foot so that is when the decision by the letter of the law is made? Ultimately the law change is an ass by the BCCI ICC and certain cricketers/teams are happy to push the edge when they cant succeed in any other way. Just another example of what used to be a decent sport shooting itself in the foot (and yes golf is next sadly)

RichA

Visit site
Not deliberately being contrary, but they know the rules. She was out.
I recently heard a couple of cricketers discussing it, but can't remember who or on what media - they have it drilled into them in training to back up, but don't get ahead of the bowler. She got ahead of the bowler. Basics innit.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
is she? if it had been a normal delivery she wouldnt have been out of the crease

View attachment 44470

This is sad and unfortunate... no warning. I hope this pic does not become the posterchild of women's cricket. The bowler may be right to call it, but the skipper should have overruled once she saw on the big screen.

This is very different from all the obvious mankads in mens cricket... be it Butler or others - they used to be half way down the track

Grizzly

Visit site
The big difference here was that the batsman was in her ground until the bowler entered her action. If you watch it through all she does is lift her bat as she turns to face the other end - she isn't sprinting down the wicket to try and gain an advantage, nor has she been given the courtesy of a warning (though what she'd have been warned for I don't really know, as she wasn't trying to gain an advantage) - so in my opinion the bowler has made a deliberate attempt to dupe her out of her crease, which is no different really to fielders fake calling or pretending the ball is coming in when it isn't.

Basically, a low, dirty move.

When I was coaching, I was umpiring an U17 match when my side did something similar. I had a brief discussion with the captain as to whether he really wanted to maintain the appeal - he came up with "well, I'm in charge, so yes", to which I replied "well, next week you won't be then!"

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have no problem if the bowler whipped the bails off during her run up if the batsman was out of her ground. It’s the fact that she faked a delivery and then went back and took the bails off which makes it unsportsmanlike.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember this delivery in the WC... it was way too tight a no-ball call even in real time. Good to see it has been pulled up by those defending this. It is the same bowler.

1664106886689.png