The Belfry

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wanted to give some praise for the Belfry but let me preface it by saying that its the first golf resort of this type I've been to so don't really have anything to compare it to. I apologise for the length of the post and I'm sure some wont be all that interested but I just wanted to share my experience of the place.

So we booked a 1 night stay on a B&B basis with 2 rounds of golf, 1 on the Brabazon and 1 on the PGA. We arrived nice and early and had a bit of a look around to get a feel for the place and get a look at the famous 10th hole on the Brabazon but more about that later. The first thing we noticed was how well kept the whole complex is, nothing was out of place and it seemed like an army of staff were constantly working to keep it that way. The next thing we noticed was just how polite and helpful every member of staff were whenever we spoke to them, I had read some bad reviews in that regard but we only had positive interactions.

The hotel itself was fantastic and it was obvious that a lot of money had been spent on it, some work was still going on but nothing major and not enough to spoil things. Even though we were too early to check in before our round we still registered at reception and they explained what we needed to do and where to go etc which was very helpful. We had a look around the golf shop which is very well stocked and then registered for our round before heading over to the putting area next to the starters hut. Again the starter was a perfect gentleman and even managed to get us away a little early.

I must admit to being a little nervous standing on the first tee of the Brabazon with a bit of crowd watching but I managed to get a great drive away straight down the middle to leave myself a little flick with a wedge onto the first green. 2 putts later I was walking off with a par. The course itself was in great condition as I believe it had hosted the europro tour last week. The greens are so pure and true and a real pleasure to putt on but the rough is really testing. Overall I played pretty well shooting 86 with a 39 on the back 9. The highlights were 3 birdies, the 1st of which was on the SI 1 8th hole which is a par 4 of 409 yards. Again a big straight drive left me with a 9 iron into the green which i hit to about 15 feet and then holed a nice uphill putt for my first birdie of the day. That seemed to get me going and I played much better from there on. So a quick stop at the halfway hut for a chocolate bar and it was onto the famous 10th hole and a chance to follow in the footsteps of the late great Seve and try and drive the green. The yardage on the card is 284 yards from the yellow tees but its actually more like 245 yards as the crow flies and it is downhill so it was a 3 wood rather than a driver. I hit a good shot but pulled it slightly and hit it slightly long so was just off the back left of the green. A good chip and a 6ft putt later I was walking off with my second birdie of the day. As an aside my brother hit a great shot to about 20 ft but left his eagle putt 1 roll short. The rest of the back 9 was steady with plenty of pars and the odd bogey thrown in until the 530 yard par 5 17th. Its a big dogleg to the right and if your brave with your line off the tee the green is in range for your second. I must admit to pushing my drive a little to the right but it still made the carry and a well struck 3 wood to the back of the green left me with a 20ft putt for eagle. The putt lipped out which left a tap in birdie and after bogeying the 18th I was pleased to have shot a +3 39 for the back 9. Overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable round I can see why the course has so many fans.

So after the round we were able to store our clubs with a member of staff rather than pack them all away in the cars which was a nice touch. Off to reception to complete the check in process and then off to our rooms for a quick shower and change. The rooms themselves were really nice and the room we had overlooked the 18th green of the PGA and had a nice little balcony area. We headed downstairs to Sams bar which was a sports bar type set up with screens everywhere showing the football and the PGA golf. We sat down at one of the modern comfy seating areas and within seconds a waitress had appeared to ask if we wanted any drinks and if we wanted a menu. Now don't get me wrong the drinks are expensive but I did like the convenience of having our drinks brought to us instead of having to go and stand at the bar and as we were only having a few drinks it wasn't so bad. The food was also on the expensive side but no more than other similar sort of place really and it was very nice. There was lots of seating outside as well which I imagine during the summer would be really nice to sit and enjoy the sun with a drink.

So onto the following morning and it was time to play the second round. We went down for the breakfast which is a help yourself style buffet with every type of breakfast item you can think of. The food was delicious and really set us up for the longer PGA course. We checked out and made our way round to the PGA course and had a good chat on the first tee with the group that would be following us. Again quite a few people were milling around watching but this time there were no nerves and again I smashed another long straight drive down the middle which was the story of the day for me. I hit every fairway and every GIR for the first 7 holes but a 3 putt and a birdie meant I was level par after 7 holes. I over-clubbed the 187 yard par 3 8th hole and pulled the tee shot slightly leaving me with a horrible lie but I managed to get it on the green but couldn't hole the par putt. I followed this up with yet another fairway hit and GIR but again managed to find a 3 putt so turned in 37 blows for a +2 front 9. Onto the back 9 and a bogey on the 10th was cancelled out by a birdie on the 11th and then lots more fairways and GIRs followed until a nightmare double bogey on the SI 18 par 4 16th hole. Another perfect tee shot left me with a wedge and I pulled it into a nightmare of a bunker which ended up costing me my only double bogey of the day. I managed to regain my composure after giving myself a good talking too and managed to par the last 2 holes for a back 9 of 39 and a total of 76 shots (+6) for easily my best ever ball striking round. My playing partners generally struggled with the length of the course and the punishing nature of the rough but as I was on the short stuff on pretty much every hole I didn't have to worry about that. I guess it was just one of those days for me which made for a great day personally.

Overall impressions then were that the Belfry is a great venue and the 2 courses we played were very enjoyable. We all felt that we got great value for money and we were really well looked after in terms of the golf and the off course facilities and would have no hesitation in recommending the Belfry to anyone.

Apologies for the long post but I'm aware the Belfry has had some negative comments in the past so just wanted to share my experience of the place.

Oh and thanks to Daveyboy for his advice earlier in the week.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Good to hear it's back to 'top notch' again.

Wouldn't describe the course as 'great' but always very well tended and normally in great condition. Several really good holes, but the 10th is only memorable for me because of Seve!

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i played the 2 same courses in october when it was really wet but really enjoyed the experience. must of really dried out coz when i played the 8th on the Brabazon it was a driver and a 5 wood to get near the green. i did birdie the 5th and the 6th. I know some on here dont rate the courses but for £99 inc a overnight stay i think its a real bargain and will go back hopefully soon. Glad you enjoyed it.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great experience and well worth trying, thanks for the write up sounds right up my street!

You must have played out of your skin to shoot 6 under your handicap!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Being local, I was a bit disappointed with my experience there last year, especially with it being the big world famous course in this part of the world.

I'm hoping to go back again this summer and have another round, possibly even might do the over night stop thing with the two rounds, looks a great price! Glad you had a better experience on this occasion and good to see that all the money that has been spent is coming to some good!

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think for the price you cannot go far wrong. £139 for 2 rounds and B&B. I have had a look at the food and drink prices and to be honest it is pretty much the same as the prices around Cambridge where I live so I am not shocked at the prices with the exception of The Ryder Grill. But the Sports Bar looks pretty well priced. This is somehere I will def go for a night or 2 for a big birthday I reckon.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great experience and well worth trying, thanks for the write up sounds right up my street!

You must have played out of your skin to shoot 6 under your handicap!

It was one of those days were the swing felt under complete control and dare I say it "easy". I must have hit all but 2 fairways and 14/15 greens. Without getting into the whole forum yardages thing I am pretty long off the tee which combined with a day when I hit it straight meant I was never really in any trouble.

Just to clarify for others I think the £99 price is in the winter months only.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great update and thank you for yoru post :) I am looking for a break with the wife but woulf teh course be too hard for High handicappers like ourselves?

Also you state the drinks and food is expensive could you give me an idea what a drink and a meal costs?

Taaaaa

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great update and thank you for yoru post :) I am looking for a break with the wife but woulf teh course be too hard for High handicappers like ourselves?

Also you state the drinks and food is expensive could you give me an idea what a drink and a meal costs?

Taaaaa

The rough can be brutal so if your a bit wayward then you may well struggle and some of the bunkers are huge and very deep. Apparently the derby course is less punishing but not as good a course but we didn't play that one so can't really comment too much. 2 of our group are higher handicappers and they struggled a little but still throughly enjoyed it.

I believe a pint was £4.50ish and the food was in the £10-15 price bracket for a main.

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
£99 for B&B, a round on the PGA and a round on the Derby?! What a cracking deal.

Would I be missing out not playing the Brabazon though?

Last summer we paid £119 for 1 night stay and 2 rounds of golf on the Brabazon and Derby.

Was an excellent few days

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The rough can be brutal so if your a bit wayward then you may well struggle and some of the bunkers are huge and very deep. Apparently the derby course is less punishing but not as good a course but we didn't play that one so can't really comment too much. 2 of our group are higher handicappers and they struggled a little but still throughly enjoyed it.

I believe a pint was £4.50ish and the food was in the £10-15 price bracket for a main.

cheers for that typical resort golf prices like the marriot charge. :thup:

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice write up. I'm local to the belfry but have never played there. Something I'd like to rectify in the future. I'd be keen to play the brab and the PGA. For the money it seems a good deal. I bet the greens were quick if they had just hosted an event the week before.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm glad you enjoyed it mate, and great shooting :thup:

The Brabz on Sky Sports 4 right now, 2 hours from the Euro Pro tour that took place days before you played.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good write up. I was one of those that had been critical, mainly on the condition of the courses, so its good to see that there has been a lot of work done and it is getting back to being a top place to play again especially with some good deals around

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had an invite to play there Thursday or Friday this week but unfortunately work got in the way.

Playing the PGA on Friday on a "work" thing.

Had played the Brabazon before so will be good to play a different track. Will report back with good, bad or indifferent after I played it.