The all things EV chat thread

www.hiltonpark.net
I've followed this thread with interest. We have 2 ice cars that need replacing. Our mileage has dropped drastically post covid but we still need 2 cars. We'd like to replace one with an EV but lease prices seem to have gone through the roof. Is there any sign of them coming back down due to increased production or supply chain issues being solved?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Give me one reason why a 500 mile round trip would cause a problem to anyone with off road parking? Like a said, I won't except not stopping for a short time as an issue. It's simply not safe.

As is absolutely your right of opinion to do so. Other people might not agree. We can't say they are wrong because we disagree.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have followed this with interest and broadly agree with you , however this bit i highlighted is making me chuckle , there are only so many houses with off road parking and someone will move in to the one you sold with no parking ,
however why cant some sort of device be constructed like one of those security posts you lift out of the ground when you need it ? If i could get this sort of thing i would get an EV in an instant ( we live in a terraced house) .
Like you said earlier there are ways around the issues of charging but there are ways round them as well if we could just focus on solutions not problems.

As I say, it was a facetious point made rather clumsily. What we are being told is that any issue has a solution regardless of how or what the challenge to the individual is, so I was merely pointing out that this applies in all directions, including and not limited to moving house. It is a solution. Might not work for everyone, but then this is the exact point I was making.

There are and will be solutions to many problems, but as before they might not work for everyone and we simply can't take the stance that those people are wrong because it works for us.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As is absolutely your right of opinion to do so. Other people might not agree. We can't say they are wrong because we disagree.
It's not just my opinion. The Highway code recommends a stop and most cars now chime or bleep at you to take a break every two hours. Anyway, is that your only instance? Not suitable for people who can't stop for a short while? If yes then I agree with you. If you are the 0.1% of people that drive 500 miles a day and don't feel any responsibility to stop for a break then yes, don't buy an eV with a range of less than 500 miles. It won't be for you

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not just my opinion. The Highway code recommends a stop and most cars now chime or bleep at you to take a break every two hours. Anyway, is that your only instance? Not suitable for people who can't stop for a short while? If yes then I agree with you. If you are the 0.1% of people that drive 500 miles a day and don't feel any responsibility to stop for a break then yes, don't buy an eV with a range of less than 500 miles. It won't be for you

I agree, if it doesn't work for you then it's not for you. But I can't say they are wrong or not accept their view because I disagree. I think you're fundamentally missing that point that it's not about safety or possibility it's about telling someone that because YOU disagree and have a solution that works for you, that they are wrong for disagreeing and saying that it doesn't work for them.

Oh and the highway code recommends, but doesn't enforce.

I will leave it there as I believe you are fully indoctrinated and are missing the actual point trying to convince me that I'm one of the wrong uns that hate change and hate EVs.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I say, it was a facetious point made rather clumsily. What we are being told is that any issue has a solution regardless of how or what the challenge to the individual is, so I was merely pointing out that this applies in all directions, including and not limited to moving house. It is a solution. Might not work for everyone, but then this is the exact point I was making.

There are and will be solutions to many problems, but as before they might not work for everyone and we simply can't take the stance that those people are wrong because it works for us.
I am not saying any problem has a solution. Stop padding out your argument. I am saying the issue of not being able to own an eV because you dri e 500 miles a day isn't a valid argument. Why don't you listen to a person that knows more about this particular instance than you. You a blindly disagreeing with no valid counter argument.
If you are driving 500 miles you are going to be short 200 miles. That takes around 30/40 to charge or 2 x 15 minutes stops (one on the way out and one on the way back). This is the ONLY barrier. As I've said before almost all people would stop for this amount of time for such a large journey anyway

Mandofred

Visit site
I used to drive a lot more than I do now, but driving for up to 6+ hours was no problem for me. Occasionally I might need to jump out of the car somewhere to pee on a bush every 2-3hrs.....I drink a lot of diet Coke......the bladder is the boss. Can only imagine if you tried to force truckers into stopping every 2 hours for a long break.....

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not saying any problem has a solution. Stop padding out your argument. I am saying the issue of not being able to own an eV because you dri e 500 miles a day isn't a valid argument. Why don't you listen to a person that knows more about this particular instance than you. You a blindly disagreeing with no valid counter argument.
If you are driving 500 miles you are going to be short 200 miles. That takes around 30/40 to charge or 2 x 15 minutes stops (one on the way out and one on the way back). This is the ONLY barrier. As I've said before almost all people would stop for this amount of time for such a large journey anyway

There's no padding to my argument. Not sure what you're reading fella. You admit there is a barrier, yet won't accept that the barrier might not suit some people. We won't agree on this that I refuse to tell people that they are wrong for disagreeing with me on something.

I bow down to your superior knowledge on all things EV because you have one... Oaft!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's no padding to my argument. Not sure what you're reading fella. You admit there is a barrier, yet won't accept that the barrier might not suit some people. We won't agree on this that I refuse to tell people that they are wrong for disagreeing with me on something.

I bow down to your superior knowledge on all things EV because you have one... Oaft!

Does anyone other than the poster see stopping for 30/40 minutes over a 7/8 hour drive as a barrier?
It's doesn't have to be one stop
1 x 40 minutes
2 x 20 minutes
3 x 10 minutes

OVER A SEVEN HOUR DRIVE!!!

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, it is not the fact that you have to stop to recharge (and rest) after 2-300 miles but the fact that you aren't guarenteed a charger when you plan to stop. Your planned 30 minutes stop may turn into a couple of hours as you keep popping out from the cafe to check if the chargers are free. Charger anxiety is much more of a problem than range anxiety.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, it is not the fact that you have to stop to recharge (and rest) after 2-300 miles but the fact that you aren't guarenteed a charger when you plan to stop. Your planned 30 minutes stop may turn into a couple of hours as you keep popping out from the cafe to check if the chargers are free. Charger anxiety is much more of a problem than range anxiety.
I'm glad you've come up with something valid. This was my biggest worry and I spent my early days with my head in charging apps. In reality there are a lot more charging stations than you think. Most people just look at service stations. I use instavolt most of the time and I have never had one out of order. I did have one instance where the charger stated 50kw charging but when two cars where in use you only got 25kw. So my charge was 1 hour instead of 30 minutes. As most of them are located at McDonald's I used the time Wisley ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone other than the poster see stopping for 30/40 minutes over a 7/8 hour drive as a barrier?

I don't know. But he does, and so it doesn't work for him. I might not agree with him but I'm not going to say he's wrong, blinkered if I don't know what his requirements to change are.

Why not listen to someone that knows more about change than you do?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know. But he does, and so it doesn't work for him. I might not agree with him but I'm not going to say he's wrong, blinkered if I don't know what his requirements to change are.

Why not listen to someone that knows more about change than you do?
I've said before. If you are the type of brain dead moron that wants to drive that distance without a break then an eV isn't for you. You knot going to have enough juice to get home. To all the other normal people that don't mind a stop then don't worry. You'll be fine with a eV.

Better?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's doesn't have to be one stop
1 x 40 minutes
2 x 20 minutes
3 x 10 minutes

OVER A SEVEN HOUR DRIVE!!!

Actuallly, to me it is a bit a barrier. OK Longest drive I will do will be 4-5 hours down to my father in law in Devon. I am doing that for Xmas this year. Once I am on the road, I just want to get the miles done. Have drink, coffee and snacks in the car and, aside from if the call of nature needs answering, I am head down and drive it in one go if I can. I have no desire to stop anywher for half an hour or, in fact, any time. I just want to get it done. Now, we may be able to cope in our household with one electric and one regular car and that is an option that we have considered but then I look at the price of an electric car and what I can get for the same money and that thought goes out of the window.

We are all different, I am not ready for the switch to electric fully. One day, yes, but I need a decent car of a decent size with a decent boot at a resonable price and a solid and reliable range of a couple of hundred miles or more before I am considering a change to electric

Guess I am am brain dead moron.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actuallly, to me it is a bit a barrier. OK Longest drive I will do will be 4-5 hours down to my father in law in Devon. I am doing that for Xmas this year. Once I am on the road, I just want to get the miles done. Have drink, coffee and snacks in the car and, aside from if the call of nature needs answering, I am head down and drive it in one go if I can. I have no desire to stop anywher for half an hour or, in fact, any time. I just want to get it done. Now, we may be able to cope in our household with one electric and one regular car and that is an option that we have considered but then I look at the price of an electric car and what I can get for the same money and that thought goes out of the window.

We are all different, I am not ready for the switch to electric fully. One day, yes, but I need a decent car of a decent size with a decent boot at a resonable price and a solid and reliable range of a couple of hundred miles or more before I am considering a change to electric

Guess I am am brain dead moron.
How long in miles is the drive? Out of interest where to and where from

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said before. If you are the type of brain dead moron that wants to drive that distance without a break then an eV isn't for you. You knot going to have enough juice to get home. To all the other normal people that don't mind a stop then don't worry. You'll be fine with a eV.

Better?

Wow! That arrogance really does know no bounds. I don't know why knots would come in to it though.

I'm clearly not as diety-like as you to define who is and who isn't normal, let alone use such base language to describe them.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just shy of 250 Miles, Ropsley in Lincolnshire to North Molton
So you wouldn't have to stop. If you're there for Xmas you could charge with the power cable through normal electrics and wouldn't need to stop on the way home either.
You'd still arrive with 50 miles in the tank so if charging was an issue at your dad's house then you need to find 200 miles of juice from somewhere. That route is littered with rapid chargers. So, if you can't charge at the house using a normal plug then how does a 30 minute wait sound at a Morrisons? or Mcdonalds?. Is it worth the £40+ you'll save on petrol/diesel?
That's what your journey would look like
Or two 15 minute stops of course whilst you take a piss on each leg?‍♂️.
(leg of the journey not your actual leg)

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you wouldn't have to stop. If you're there for Xmas you could charge with the power cable through normal electrics.
You'd still arrive with 50 miles in the tank so if charging was an issue at your dad's house then you need to find 200 miles of juice from somewhere. That route is littered with rapid chargers. So, if you can't charge at the house using a normal plug then how does a 30 minute wait sound at a Morris ons? or Mcdonalds?. Is it worth the £40+ you'll save on petrol/diesel?
That's what your journey would look like
Or two 15 minute stops of course whilst you take a piss?‍♂️

Nope, not for me, reallly do not want to stop if I can avoid it but, as I said, only one of a few factors plus I would need to be damned certain that car would make the journey and that the purported mileage was not in lab conditions. Just looking at the cost of an electric car that can fit 4 people comfortably plus luggage that has the range needed. My very comfortable, low mileage Skoda Octavia was £8000 when I bought it. Just had a very quick look online (and it was very quick) and a Nissan Leaf (which may be too small) but is of a similar age and mileage to when I bough my car £21450.00. Sorry, if I am spending over 21 grand on a second hand car, I am looking for something much more exotic than a Nissan Leaf.