The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 23270

Does anyone other than the poster see stopping for 30/40 minutes over a 7/8 hour drive as a barrier?
It's doesn't have to be one stop
1 x 40 minutes
2 x 20 minutes
3 x 10 minutes

OVER A SEVEN HOUR DRIVE!!!
Yes you are right, I can't imagine anyone would drive 7 hours without a break. The issue I have is that on my budget I would be looking at a 2nd hand (or VERY cheap) new EV and most of those have a quoted range of around 200ish miles. Scale that down for motorway driving (I do several long trips a year) and you are then looking at 150 miles or less between stops. If I do a long drive I will typically break the back of the journey before the 1st stop and any subsequent breaks tend to be for a pee so only quick stops. I certainly wouldn't want them to become 45-60 minute breaks to recharge. As much as I would like to go EV it doesn't suit my needs at present.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you are right, I can't imagine anyone would drive 7 hours without a break. The issue I have is that on my budget I would be looking at a 2nd hand (or VERY cheap) new EV and most of those have a quoted range of around 200ish miles. Scale that down for motorway driving (I do several long trips a year) and you are then looking at 150 miles or less between stops. If I do a long drive I will typically break the back of the journey before the 1st stop and any subsequent breaks tend to be for a pee so only quick stops. I certainly wouldn't want them to become 45-60 minute breaks to recharge. As much as I would like to go EV it doesn't suit my needs at present.
I get it. I can only imagine how much of a ball ache it would be if I only had 200 mile range. I hardly ever need to charge on the go but if I had only had 200 mile range it would be all the time.

My boss has a 200 mile range car and they manage most of the time and save a lot on fuel. However, they rely heavily on their ice car for bigger journeys. They go from the Midlands to Cornwall frequently so the eV just isn't practical enough. He has made the journey a few times with 2 hours worth of stops

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…anyway…and as I suggested - I suspect that in 30yrs time, maybe sooner, all this argument will be irrelevant and redundant as we’ll own an EV for local and short distance, and hire an EV for longer distances, changing EVs part way as necessary according to the length of journey being undertaken.

Ownership of cars for long distance driving will become a thing of the past - oh how the transition will upset the petrol heads and ’big fancy powerful’ car owners.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
…anyway…and as I suggested - I suspect that in 30yrs time, maybe sooner, all this argument will be irrelevant and redundant as we’ll own an EV for local and short distance, and hire an EV for longer distances, changing EVs part way as necessary according to the length of journey being undertaken.

Ownership of cars for long distance driving will become a thing of the past - oh how the transition will upset the petrol heads and ’big fancy powerful’ car owners.

It sounds like someone is slightly envious of those lucky enough to own a 'big, fancy, powerful' car.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds like someone is slightly envious of those lucky enough to own a 'big, fancy, powerful' car.
Au contraire…I think quite otherwise…and if I wanted one I could afford one…but I don’t.

However time will make such cars redundant and eventually extinct

D-S

Visit site

I think in 30yrs time driverless cars will be a significant factor and ownership will be far less common.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Does anyone other than the poster see stopping for 30/40 minutes over a 7/8 hour drive as a barrier?
It's doesn't have to be one stop
1 x 40 minutes
2 x 20 minutes
3 x 10 minutes

OVER A SEVEN HOUR DRIVE!!!
But that isn't 40 minutes is it? That adds almost 2 hours to your journey. I will have breaks on my long journey, but nothing that adds up to that time. If I have a seven hour journey ahead, I really don't want to add a further 2 hours to it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think in 30yrs time driverless cars will be a significant factor and ownership will be far less common.
Tech people keep quoting driverless cars, I am not meaning you in this, but do consumers want them? I've not met anyone yet who fancies it. We are talking a huge leap to get everyone into electric and then another huge leap to driverless. I don't see an appetite for driverless cars.

In terms of less ownership, car clubs and similar have also been talked about for years, and do exist. I can see how they will work in a busy city but outside of that, no thanks again. A nice idea but over the whole country, I'm not seeing it.

I'm still waiting for the Tomorrows World, flying car :LOL:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that isn't 40 minutes is it? That adds almost 2 hours to your journey. I will have breaks on my long journey, but nothing that adds up to that time. If I have a seven hour journey ahead, I really don't want to add a further 2 hours to it.
How is it two hours? You are going to be 200 miles short of your 500 mile journey. You need to find 200 miles of electric. That's one stop of 40 minutes. Or the other shorter options

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Au contraire…I think quite otherwise…and if I wanted one I could afford one…but I don’t.

However time will make such cars redundant and eventually extinct

Isnt that an obvious comment, as with time, the people who owned these cars and had the emotional attachment to the ICE car will no longer be with us. I think its natural that younger people coming through will have less attachment to ICE.

D-S

Visit site
Tech people keep quoting driverless cars, I am not meaning you in this, but do consumers want them? I've not met anyone yet who fancies it. We are talking a huge leap to get everyone into electric and then another huge leap to driverless. I don't see an appetite for driverless cars.

In terms of less ownership, car clubs and similar have also been talked about for years, and do exist. I can see how they will work in a busy city but outside of that, no thanks again. A nice idea but over the whole country, I'm not seeing it.

I'm still waiting for the Tomorrows World, flying car :LOL:
30 years is a long time in tech.
Also if they were widely available today I would certainly be happy to summon one to pick me up, take me to where I want and take me home. Who needs to own a pile of metal, service it, have to drive it (and/or learn how to do so), have somewhere to park it etc. etc. - most cars are only driven for a small fraction of any day. Especially as if they are the norm, accidents should be fewer as would be traffic jams.
If I were rich enough to have a driver (s) on permanent call I’d jump at it today but if these were commonplace this would be the nearest I could get to that - bring it on.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also if they were widely available today I would certainly be happy to summon one to pick me up, take me to where I want and take me home. Who needs to own a pile of metal, service it, have to drive it (and/or learn how to do so), have somewhere to park it etc. etc. - most cars are only driven for a small fraction of any day. Especially as if they are the norm, accidents should be fewer as would be traffic jams.
If I were rich enough to have a driver (s) on permanent call I’d jump at it today but if these were commonplace this would be the nearest I could get to that - bring it on.

This is why I never understand people with money get done for drink driving ie footballers when if they can't trust themsleves they have the money to employ a driver

Always been of the opinion young footballers should employee a minder who drives them and looks after them in clubs keeps the trouble makers away from them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is why I never understand people with money get done for drink driving ie footballers when if they can't trust themsleves they have the money to employ a driver

Always been of the opinion young footballers should employee a minder who drives them and looks after them in clubs keeps the trouble makers away from them.
You still see drivers ( morons) with very expensive cars still with a phone to their ears.
Even the most basic cars have Bluetooth now .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…plus even if we are not driverless and even if the range of EVs remains limited to not much more than it currently is…my hunch is that we might still own a relatively inexpensive small EV, but for longer runs we don’t use our own but instead hire and change ‘larger’ EVs ‘half way’. Just a hunch.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
…plus even if we are not driverless and even if the range of EVs remains limited to not much more than it currently is…my hunch is that we might still own a relatively inexpensive small EV, but for longer runs we don’t use our own but instead hire and change ‘larger’ EVs ‘half way’. Just a hunch.
Yeh. Nothing changes over the centuries. Riding from London to York, changing horses half way ...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rightly or wrongly I can see a u turn on 2030

Hunt said yesterday we as a nation need to reduce our usage by x % by 2030 (think it was 15%) don't see how we can reduce whilst switching to EV

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rightly or wrongly I can see a u turn on 2030

Hunt said yesterday we as a nation need to reduce our usage by x % by 2030 (think it was 15%) don't see how we can reduce whilst switching to EV
2030 was never going to happen imo.
The infrastructure just isn’t there yet.
The way things are now investment will slow down for a couple of years.