The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 23270

Driverless cars provide so many opportunities. London businessman has meeting in Glasgow, puts his kids to bed then hops into his autonomous car. Folds seat back, falls asleep and wakes up in Glasgow. Quick shower in the office, job done. No need for a hotel or flight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driverless cars provide so many opportunities. London businessman has meeting in Glasgow, puts his kids to bed then hops into his autonomous car. Folds seat back, falls asleep and wakes up in Glasgow. Quick shower in the office, job done. No need for a hotel or flight.
Sounds great .
But how do you charge the car given the range.

Seen on the news solar power microwaved back to earth via satellites.
so assume if you park in a bay and battery is charged like a wireless mobile phone .
Sounds very tomorrow’s world.

D-S

Visit site
Sounds great .

so assume if you park in a bay and battery is charged like a wireless mobile phone .
You just swap cars in a convenient stopping place. Get out of one and step into another, the interchangeability of driverless cars is one of their great appeals.

D

Deleted member 23270

Sounds great .

Fingers crossed I would hope that battery technology improves by the time we get to that point. Keep reading about 500 mile ranges etc being close now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You just swap cars in a convenient stopping place. Get out of one and step into another, the interchangeability of driverless cars is one of their great appeals.
How does that work if said business man is asleep?
I can see lost briefcases/ luggage all over the place

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fingers crossed I would hope that battery technology improves by the time we get to that point. Keep reading about 500 mile ranges etc being close now.

EVs are capable of 379 miles today*, 5 years ago that was around 170.
An increase in range of over 200 miles in 5 years.
With the massive investment in battery technology all over the world, I can see that sort of improvement continuing.

*An exaggeration I know.

D-S

Visit site
How does that work if said business man is asleep?
I can see lost briefcases/ luggage all over the place
If he is asleep, then the car just pops into a fast charge station en route (or as Doublebogey 7 says, swaps the battery) never disturbing the slumber.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep that's the flaw in the that one, so how about swapoing the battery instead. This can already be done in China and Norway, I believe.

Indeed they can, Chinese manufacturer Nio have a battery swap “drive through” type set up. It’s quite expensive I believe as a subscription but the time savings must be massive.

Their cars aren’t bad looking either. Their midsize saloon, the ET7, is going to break down a few barriers when it finally arrives on our shores. Ok, Chinese testing numbers for range etc are… questionable… but even knocking 20-25% off they still offer good numbers.

I watch I’m hope that the UK market looks attractive to them sometime soon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed they can, Chinese manufacturer Nio have a battery swap “drive through” type set up. It’s quite expensive I believe as a subscription but the time savings must be massive.

Their cars aren’t bad looking either. Their midsize saloon, the ET7, is going to break down a few barriers when it finally arrives on our shores. Ok, Chinese testing numbers for range etc are… questionable… but even knocking 20-25% off they still offer good numbers.

I watch I’m hope that the UK market looks attractive to them sometime soon.

Only issue is the supply of lithium for batteries

We would need a lot more than we do now

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are car mfrs designing cars so that batteries can be swapped in and out easily?

This is what Nio and a couple of other manufacturers are working on. A battery that unbolts from beneath the chassis and can be swapped out in under 10 mins with a fresh one.

The removed battery is then queued in the “battery station” for recharging and reuse probably the next day.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How many extra battery packs are they going to need?
I can't see it myself.
I think by the time the powers that be allow self driving cars in the UK, the range will have exceeded 500 miles