The all things EV chat thread

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'm guessing that handling stuff carrying high voltage electricity in the wet might be considered a little bit of a H&S issue?

I would hope it wouldn’t be with the way chargers are and being in the open and also with the cars - if you can’t in the rain it’s going to be a bit useless and I guess most people home chargers are out in the open

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing that handling stuff carrying high voltage electricity in the wet might be considered a little bit of a H&S issue?

The cables are waterproof , also the charger isn't turned on until the cable does a hand shake with the car itself so it wouldn't turn on until safe to do so.

@Mudball this guy seems to just be on one. He has his car to sit in. I mean they could put a little roof over each charger but then the wind would just blow the rain onto the screens.

I'd just sit in the car or go in the services and have a cuppa tea

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The chargers should have solar panel canopies

not sure how actually effective that would be.. grid serve have huge solar fields nearby some of their chargers (their main hub i believe in braintree) however small panel set up wouldnt really supply the chargers enough , need a big supply to be effective.. it would work on slower charging but i think on rapid charging the output wouldnt be worth the cost to install..

that said if they put in wifi at all chargers (so you can use the apps) and lights under the solar canopy it could supply that

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not sure how actually effective that would be.. grid serve have huge solar fields nearby some of their chargers (their main hub i believe in braintree) however small panel set up wouldnt really supply the chargers enough , need a big supply to be effective.. it would work on slower charging but i think on rapid charging the output wouldnt be worth the cost to install..

that said if they put in wifi at all chargers (so you can use the apps) and lights under the solar canopy it could supply that
No but the idea is to deliver parasitic supply support like lights etc

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just saw the promos for the Kia EV3.. looks like a great piece of kit. After I sunset the BMW, my choice is likely to be Kia - unless there is an updated Tesla (which is unlikely).

It is fascinating how Korea and China has overtaken the European. Not a single noteworthy European (or British ) mass market ev

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just saw the promos for the Kia EV3.. looks like a great piece of kit. After I sunset the BMW, my choice is likely to be Kia - unless there is an updated Tesla (which is unlikely).

It is fascinating how Korea and China has overtaken the European. Not a single noteworthy European (or British ) mass market ev

Whilst I agree the Koreans are smashing it, the VW id4 / Skoda version are cracking cars

Ford Mustang e is underrated and they releasing another EV which looks interesting

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree the Koreans are smashing it, the VW id4 / Skoda version are cracking cars

Ford Mustang e is underrated and they releasing another EV which looks interesting
Not driven the id4 but the Enyaq 85 was very good and the range was good.
Also don’t forget Renault are very good and their ranges and efficiency is very impressive.
What I find annoying is the interiors and all these novel materials.. stuff them in your ICE cars as well don’t make just the EV stuff look way out freaky

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not driven the id4 but the Enyaq 85 was very good and the range was good.
Also don’t forget Renault are very good and their ranges and efficiency is very impressive.
What I find annoying is the interiors and all these novel materials.. stuff them in your ICE cars as well don’t make just the EV stuff look way out freaky
Yeah the Renaults are good

What they need to do more is all manufacturers need to provide minimum 5 year warranty on the car itself

It's why I was steered to Kia over Hyundai for example 7 years over 5 years warranty

When you see people like BMW throwing out pathetic 3 year warranties.. with cars being big computers now it's good to have that back up

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What they need to do more is all manufacturers need to provide minimum 5 year warranty on the car itself

It's why I was steered to Kia over Hyundai for example 7 years over 5 years warranty

When you see people like BMW throwing out pathetic 3 year warranties.. with cars being big computers now it's good to have that back up
Electric cars are simple, the warranty length should not be a concern.
Like you say they are big computers, but computers only fail due to software updates and poor coding. Old Bill Gates is not an environmental warrior he is responsible for a most of the electronic land fill created over the last 40years … the Dolphins know!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have said before you pay for that extended warranty in the purchase price. It is just selling hype really.

Peugeot offer warranty extensions after the initial 3 years and the overall cost of taking them out is less than the extra cost of the purchase price of some with longer warranties at time of purchase.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like you say they are big computers, but computers only fail due to software updates and poor coding. Old Bill Gates is not an environmental warrior he is responsible for a most of the electronic land fill created over the last 40years … the Dolphins know!
its not just the cars.. they need to break the ecosystem. case in point.. over the air updates. Currently my BMW app on the phone has downloaded the latest car update. It now wants me to connect with the car and dowload and install it in it. Why?? The car has a SIM, its on the driveway with wifi.. why cant it do it all itself. Why fill my phone.

My big fear is that the car will try and install some software and then it will brick itself in the middle of a country road. (just like what Sky glass customers experienced). I know it wont happen, but it can happen. More ammo for ICE warriors

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
its not just the cars.. they need to break the ecosystem. case in point.. over the air updates. Currently my BMW app on the phone has downloaded the latest car update. It now wants me to connect with the car and dowload and install it in it. Why?? The car has a SIM, its on the driveway with wifi.. why cant it do it all itself. Why fill my phone.

My big fear is that the car will try and install some software and then it will brick itself in the middle of a country road. (just like what Sky glass customers experienced). I know it wont happen, but it can happen. More ammo for ICE warriors
To be fair, all modern cars are controlled by chips, computers etc so all are susceptible to a hack or faulty code being uploaded.

It could be Nightsleeper for us all :eek:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I got the app update as well .. not done anything with the car. SOTA is great to the geeks but turn it off ! You know Microsoft or HP or whatever your computer is gives these messages about software updates shutting down in 5 minutes or postpone ( then slow everything down till you do said update) .. should be illegal it’s tantamount to me inviting myself to next door for bloody dinner and then dictating what dinner is .. sorry the IT crowd are out of control they need to be brought to order.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The vauxhall I had was poorly made. The car itself (not the EV side) fell apart..was so poor. Wouldn't ever recommend a stellious made car to anyone

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, all modern cars are controlled by chips, computers etc so all are susceptible to a hack or faulty code being uploaded.

It could be Nightsleeper for us all :eek:

Lol what a load of tosh that was.. we have been hacked at the same time they brought that out , the information is out in the press so don't mind sharing. The day to day running of the tube hasn't changed at all. They have had to reset 30,000 employee passwords (in person with id cards and then muilti factor to sign on now) all operations of railway and buses haven't been stopped

Printing however! Now that's impossible for the past month