The all things EV chat thread

3 jabber

Visit site
Had my Tesla test drive today in a model 3 long range. Very impressed with it. It was a brand new latest version so it has features that a 2nd hand one in my price range won't have though. Good to drive, couple of niggles I don't like but no showstoppers.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my Tesla test drive today in a model 3 long range. Very impressed with it. It was a brand new latest version so it has features that a 2nd hand one in my price range won't have though. Good to drive, couple of niggles I don't like but no showstoppers.
I have 2023 model 3 rwd and its plenty range in it.
Did 45k miles in 18months since own it and never regretted choosing it over long range.
Did recently trip to Poland and back. 3k miles over 4 days and was surprised how smooth it was.
On a daily basis you will have same range as long range because they are recommended to be charge to 80% daily.
RWD models with LFP batteries supposed to be better with degradation too.
When I was buying brand new it was no brainer for me long range was 10k more expensive.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 2023 model 3 rwd and its plenty range in it.
Did 45k miles in 18months since own it and never regretted choosing it over long range.
Did recently trip to Poland and back. 3k miles over 4 days and was surprised how smooth it was.
On a daily basis you will have same range as long range because they are recommended to be charge to 80% daily.
RWD models with LFP batteries supposed to be better with degradation too.
When I was buying brand new it was no brainer for me long range was 10k more expensive.

I really wanted / want a model y. It's next on my list if the salary sacrifice scheme at work gets launched to include insurance. £1000 more than the Kia at the time so seemed silly. If we need a bigger car again I'll look into it but the EV 9 is also tempting

Unless I go cybertruck for a laugh..what a machine

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really wanted / want a model y. It's next on my list if the salary sacrifice scheme at work gets launched to include insurance. £1000 more than the Kia at the time so seemed silly. If we need a bigger car again I'll look into it but the EV 9 is also tempting

Unless I go cybertruck for a laugh..what a machine
Trouble with EV is bigger the car the less efficient it become.
EV9 in a real world is under 3miles to kwh.
Due to the size I doubt Cybertrack will be available in UK, but if they decide to sell it you'll only get it as a left hand drive like model S and X.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trouble with EV is bigger the car the less efficient it become.
EV9 in a real world is under 3miles to kwh.
Due to the size I doubt Cybertrack will be available in UK, but if they decide to sell it you'll only get it as a left hand drive like model S and X.

That's a shame

Yeah the efficiency would drop down but depends on needs I guess..if we need that space when the girls are older we will see

Plenty of time to go

Once they get out of car seats the space In back goes up again anyways so prob won't be until their teenagers

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the general situation ICE or BEV the bigger cars lose efficiency. The point is to find the most efficient method that is suitable for these vehicles.
I was not sold on efficiency for my car, it was what was most suitable for us as a family and driving pleasure.
I think you also need to consider vehicle size and why you need it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over priced always drops the fastest .. it isn’t worth it unless your a drug dealer laundering money ..
why are they complaining it literally happens on everything.. just buy used 🥱

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having a very serious think about a trip to France in the niro

We are going Disney Paris next year

If Eurostar weren't so annoying (closing Ashford and ebbsfleet, which are easy to drive to on top of not doing direct trains to Disney anymore) I'd be all over them. Can get the 5 of us for a reasonable price through work.

However they want us to go up to king's cross , then to Paris then change again. All simple just with 3 kids and luggage im thinking load up the niro and charging is less of a worry than them on trains lol 🤣

Chargers either end of leshuttle, Disneyland hotel that we are in have free to use destination charging so can leave Disney with 100% which would most likely get us back to Calais as it's only 217 miles

Seems much of a much time wise we you factor in the hour to kings cross where as Folkestone is just an hour and 20 drive

Very tempted

Only issue is wife flat out refuses to drive aboard so it will be all me driving

stevied

Visit site

If Eurostar weren't so annoying (closing Ashford and ebbsfleet, which are easy to drive to on top of not doing direct trains to Disney anymore) I'd be all over them. Can get the 5 of us for a reasonable price through work.

However they want us to go up to king's cross , then to Paris then change again. All simple just with 3 kids and luggage im thinking load up the niro and charging is less of a worry than them on trains lol 🤣

Chargers either end of leshuttle, Disneyland hotel that we are in have free to use destination charging so can leave Disney with 100% which would most likely get us back to Calais as it's only 217 miles

Seems much of a much time wise we you factor in the hour to kings cross where as Folkestone is just an hour and 20 drive

Very tempted

Only issue is wife flat out refuses to drive aboard so it will be all me driving
Go for it. I believe that charging across France is much cheaper than here as well. Lots are driving EVs across Europe. Just needs some planning , do you like planning stuff 😉

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very tempted

We did it before they stopped the train in to Disney. We went from Kings Cross directly. Stayed 3 nights on-site.
Depends how old the kids are and what paraphernalia they need. As an adult I didn’t carry much, just bare essentials. Wife was the same and our boy was 10, so we had a Spider-Man suit as well..
You will spend most of the time in the park and when you get back to the hotel you will be exhausted I think we did about 10-12miles walking every day!
So comfortable shoes are a must. Pack light but trains are not that stressful, apart from King’s Cross which was a disaster as they didn’t know the Disney direct train but were intent on making their control system that inadvertently messed up every thing apply. I assume now that will be simpler plus you have all the fun and Brexit games.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did it before they stopped the train in to Disney. We went from Kings Cross directly. Stayed 3 nights on-site.
Depends how old the kids are and what paraphernalia they need. As an adult I didn’t carry much, just bare essentials. Wife was the same and our boy was 10, so we had a Spider-Man suit as well..
You will spend most of the time in the park and when you get back to the hotel you will be exhausted I think we did about 10-12miles walking every day!
So comfortable shoes are a must. Pack light but trains are not that stressful, apart from King’s Cross which was a disaster as they didn’t know the Disney direct train but were intent on making their control system that inadvertently messed up every thing apply. I assume now that will be simpler plus you have all the fun and Brexit games.

Kids are 4 4 and 7 so toilets are the main worry for the trip lol but when you break it down train to kings cross is the drive to Folkestone which wouldn't have loos , Eurostar would but a stop or so (which can top up car) would be perfect.

Have to admit the EV side isn't concerning me, I know we would be stopping regardless and they seem to have some good charge stations , reasonable priced aswell

I like the idea of the flexible shuttle ticket where I can rock up anytime on the day of booking and get a priority crossing. Seems to take all the stress out of timings

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a lot of queuing at Disney, you want to take the stroller for the 4 year old. Ours was 3 1/2 when we went and it was the best thing. We got a cheap £40 one from the high street just for that.

We want to go again now that he is 8. But last time at Legoland the queueing was already an issue …

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kids are 4 4 and 7 so toilets are the main worry for the trip lol but when you break it down train to kings cross is the drive to Folkestone which wouldn't have loos , Eurostar would but a stop or so (which can top up car) would be perfect.

Have to admit the EV side isn't concerning me, I know we would be stopping regardless and they seem to have some good charge stations , reasonable priced aswell

I like the idea of the flexible shuttle ticket where I can rock up anytime on the day of booking and get a priority crossing. Seems to take all the stress out of timings
On my recent trip with Eurotunnel I bought short stay ticket for 250 return. If I wanted to go fully flexible it would be 500. Back in the days Eurotunnel was great but this time I was really disappointed.
Had my outbound trip booked for 18:42. Left Aberdeen at 3am just in case of any traffic on the way. Got there around 15:00 and was told to come back 2 hours before my train.
I get that they don't want to people turning up hours before but it's not easy to plan 650 miles through the whole country. Ended up sitting in the local petrol station watching youtube for 2h.
On my return journey train was booked for 4:42. This time It was easier as I was staying in hotel in Calais with the puppy. Got to there just after 3am. Charge my car to 100% and when was my time proceed to boarding area just after 4am.
Thats where the most annoying part of the journey was, We were sitting there till 6am no information nothing from Eurotunnel. After 5:20 screens just showed that my 4:42 train will be 6:22.
Was really annoyed because puppy was terrified to get out from the car in the boarding area, really loud and it was windy morning. When I asked member of staff why we are late she couldn't give me any answers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On my recent trip with Eurotunnel I bought short stay ticket for 250 return. If I wanted to go fully flexible it would be 500. Back in the days Eurotunnel was great but this time I was really disappointed.
Had my outbound trip booked for 18:42. Left Aberdeen at 3am just in case of any traffic on the way. Got there around 15:00 and was told to come back 2 hours before my train.
I get that they don't want to people turning up hours before but it's not easy to plan 650 miles through the whole country. Ended up sitting in the local petrol station watching youtube for 2h.
On my return journey train was booked for 4:42. This time It was easier as I was staying in hotel in Calais with the puppy. Got to there just after 3am. Charge my car to 100% and when was my time proceed to boarding area just after 4am.
Thats where the most annoying part of the journey was, We were sitting there till 6am no information nothing from Eurotunnel. After 5:20 screens just showed that my 4:42 train will be 6:22.
Was really annoyed because puppy was terrified to get out from the car in the boarding area, really loud and it was windy morning. When I asked member of staff why we are late she couldn't give me any answers.

Cheers for this. They make it sound seamless. The charging side don't worry me but having bored kids even more bored doesn't sound fun!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for this. They make it sound seamless. The charging side don't worry me but having bored kids even more bored doesn't sound fun!
You may have already made your mind up but I wouldn't rush to Disney with kids aged 4. They can be long days there, it can be overwhelming. Hanging on a few years wouldn't be a bad move. It's a fabulous place, but the afternoon and evening sees a lot of tearful kids and fractious parents.

Maybe leave your kids with family and just go with your wife :ROFLMAO: