The all things EV chat thread

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Having seen my neighbour have this problem my advice would be
If you know you are going to leave it standing for a long period of time leave the bonnet unlatched so you can get at the 12 V battery.

I do not know what car you have but some have a key hidden inside of the fob and you have to do something with the door handle to reveal the where it fits.
Normally it's our every day but because it's waiting repair it hasn't moved. But 2 weeks is crazy to go flat. I've tried the key as well but because there's no charge it's not working when it turn it in the lock.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally it's our every day but because it's waiting repair it hasn't moved. But 2 weeks is crazy to go flat. I've tried the key as well but because there's no charge it's not working when it turn it in the lock.

What's not working? Opening the door? That's a physical lock? No power is needed to open a lock..it's like your house lock

It should be able to open as it's designed for emergencies like this

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's not working? Opening the door? That's a physical lock? No power is needed to open a lock..it's like your house lock

It should be able to open as it's designed for emergencies like this

Yep, I’ve got the Ioniq 5 and had a flat 12v a few months back. The key fob has a traditional key hidden inside and whilst it’s a ball ache to use it will open the car regardless of any charge in the car, it’s just a mechanical lock. It’s then a simple case of opening the bonnet and using a booster to get everything switched back on. I got the 12v replaced under warranty as I was convinced it’d been damaged on the boat over by being discharged as a brand new battery should never have this issue and will hold charge.

One other thing I learned with my car (not sure if it’s similar with other EV’s) is that once the big battery is under 20-30% charge it stops topping up the 12v so if you do have a weak battery leaving your car on a low charge can cause issues. Since having the 12v changed I’ve had zero issues.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, I’ve got the Ioniq 5 and had a flat 12v a few months back. The key fob has a traditional key hidden inside and whilst it’s a ball ache to use it will open the car regardless of any charge in the car, it’s just a mechanical lock. It’s then a simple case of opening the bonnet and using a booster to get everything switched back on. I got the 12v replaced under warranty as I was convinced it’d been damaged on the boat over by being discharged as a brand new battery should never have this issue and will hold charge.

One other thing I learned with my car (not sure if it’s similar with other EV’s) is that once the big battery is under 20-30% charge it stops topping up the 12v so if you do have a weak battery leaving your car on a low charge can cause issues. Since having the 12v changed I’ve had zero issues.

Issues like this is why Tesla are trying to move away from standard 12 volts and move to a lithium one because they are much less prone to failure.

Touch wood I've had no issues with either of mine. Nor with the Corsa but I'm aware of it incase it happens

I like that the Kona tops up randomly itself (you see a little yellow light on the bonnet when it's happening) I assume the Kia does it aswell as it's the same company and a newer model

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Finally got in but there appears to be a total electric breakdown.
  • AA guy got me into the car.
  • Put on a 12V supply and the ignition started but the car wouldn't start at all.
  • I tried to charge the car from my own battery charger. It wouldn't even respond.
  • When the 12V booster was taken off the car, it just went dead again.
  • Plugged the mains charger into the car to charger the hybrid battery, that isn't taking a charge either.
  • Now getting it collected on by a recovery vehicle to take down to the dealership and it will sit there till it is due to be looked at (7th May).
I remember when I had my first car, a Triumph Herald. The bonnet and wings hinged at the front and you could sit on the wheel to work on the engine. All you needed was a few spanners, feeler gauges and a colourtune and you could do pretty much everything.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Finally got in but there appears to be a total electric breakdown.
  • AA guy got me into the car.
  • Put on a 12V supply and the ignition started but the car wouldn't start at all.
  • I tried to charge the car from my own battery charger. It wouldn't even respond.
  • When the 12V booster was taken off the car, it just went dead again.
  • Plugged the mains charger into the car to charger the hybrid battery, that isn't taking a charge either.
  • Now getting it collected on by a recovery vehicle to take down to the dealership and it will sit there till it is due to be looked at (7th May).
I remember when I had my first car, a Triumph Herald. The bonnet and wings hinged at the front and you could sit on the wheel to work on the engine. All you needed was a few spanners, feeler gauges and a colourtune and you could do pretty much everything.
That's "progress" for you ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If only all our electricity was as green as the picture and not a big con by firms selling and buying credits

You know the grid is getting greener every year right?

Last year 51% of the grid was zero carbon

1% coal
32% gas

A maximum zero carbon record of 87.6% was reached on 4 January 2023

Where as fossil fuels are 100% use of fossil fuels. Always a point gladly glossed over, not to mention their running out and won't last forever

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You know the grid is getting greener every year right?

Last year 51% of the grid was zero carbon

1% coal
32% gas

A maximum zero carbon record of 87.6% was reached on 4 January 2023

Where as fossil fuels are 100% use of fossil fuels. Always a point gladly glossed over, not to mention their running out and won't last forever
But what about the carbon created by the manufacture of solar panels, wind turbines etc? That isn't zero carbon and gets overlooked. Unless the massive lorries that carry the turbine blades are EVs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But what about the carbon created by the manufacture of solar panels, wind turbines etc? That isn't zero carbon and gets overlooked. Unless the massive lorries that carry the turbine blades are EVs

The thing is the carbon from that makes low carbon energy and even batteries at end of life have a use

The energy used from refining and using fossil fuels what do you end up with? Nothing once it's used

What would you rather have left? Nothing or solar panels, wind turbines and EV batteries?

Kind of a no brainer really.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thing is the carbon from that makes low carbon energy and even batteries at end of life have a use

The energy used from refining and using fossil fuels what do you end up with? Nothing once it's used

What would you rather have left? Nothing or solar panels, wind turbines and EV batteries?

Kind of a no brainer really.
Depends where the solar panels are. This site is proposed just up the road form me and the locals are not happy at all. Will cover 2000 acres of farm land! Doesn't show green energy in a good light at all.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-68717278

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends where the solar panels are. This site is proposed just up the road form me and the locals are not happy at all. Will cover 2000 acres of farm land! Doesn't show green energy in a good light at all.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-68717278

But panels on farm land doesn't mean the land can't be used. It's a myth

A lot of solar farms have live stock on them still.

It's an excellent use of land.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
View attachment 53044

I mean don't let facts get in the way of your opinion..

Normal fuels use even more energy to travel that far

As long as growing trees in America (including 40000 tons of critical old growth) to chop down and shred into pellets then put them on a ship and sail them to a power station in Yorkshire to burn is considered “Green Energy” I’ll take your illustration with a pinch of salt.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as growing trees in America (including 40000 tons of critical old growth) to chop down and shred into pellets then put them on a ship and sail them to a power station in Yorkshire to burn is considered “Green Energy” I’ll take your illustration with a pinch of salt.

Yet the fact remains , which is constantly glossed over by green deniers

Getting fossil fuels out the ground uses a lot of energy

Energy is then used refining them

Transporting them more energy

It's then burned to move a car and it's gone forever and we start again

Yet you burn a lot less energy, regardless if it's fossil fuel or green to move an EV than a diesel or petrol car.

So whatever way you try and dress it up they are better than continuing to burn fossil fuels in inefficient ways to move an internal combustion engine.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

And a trusty Haynes Manual, no doubt.