The all things EV chat thread

HPIMG

Visit site
My wife wants an electric car and is trying to convince me it will be much cheaper to run I’m not so sure. Currently her car probably takes between 400/500 a month in petrol to run. What do the electric car cost to charging if you are charging from the house ? And I’m guessing in a few years time when more make the switch they will be no more free charges out in public ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had my EV for three months now and have put in around £80's worth of electric in that time. I was spending around 100 a month on Petrol previousley. That is all home charging, if you were needing to use public chargers continousley then the cost currently is comparable with Petrol.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife wants an electric car and is trying to convince me it will be much cheaper to run I’m not so sure. Currently her car probably takes between 400/500 a month in petrol to run. What do the electric car cost to charging if you are charging from the house ? And I’m guessing in a few years time when more make the switch they will be no more free charges out in public ?

Very little free chargers left , the podpoints that were free now charge 27p a kw which is cheaper than the price cap of 34p (currently)

Rapid charging is expensive, as expensive as petrol however I'm still (after 2 years) yet to use a rapid charger

With regards to home charging it's a lot cheaper

Octopus go is 12p a kw during their 4 hour cheaper rate but day rate becomes 45p so if you use a lot of home energy it can work out more costly

Octopus intelligent (If the car is compatible, or charger.. get an ohme pro) is 10p a unit but for 6 hours and can get longer hours. Google intelligent octopus.

I do 1000 miles a month, average 150 (170 summer 140 winter so go for 150) that's 6.7 fills so go for 7 to Highlight worst case .. 45kw battery at 12p a unit 7 times a month £37.80 a month to go 1000 miles

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If your wife is spending £400-£500 a month on petrol, she must be doing a very high mileage, and in order to do that, I'm guessing that involves lots of long journeys. In which case she'll have to use a lot of public chargers and therefore won't save any money. And her journey times will increase while she waits for the charging. If all these long journeys are for business, that's time she can't afford.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If your wife is spending £400-£500 a month on petrol, she must be doing a very high mileage, and in order to do that, I'm guessing that involves lots of long journeys. In which case she'll have to use a lot of public chargers and therefore won't save any money. And her journey times will increase while she waits for the charging. If all these long journeys are for business, that's time she can't afford.

Unless she's in an absolute gas guzzler!

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nowhere as cheap as it was when there were plenty of free public chargers and EV tarriffs were 5p kw/h, our council chargers are around 25p kw/h now and Octopus 10p or 12p but as already said you pay higher rates during the day so swings and roundabouts. It used to work out at around 2p per mile, on ctopus Intelligent around 4p per mile, if using a mix of home and public I would say around 6p per mile. Still quite a lot cheaper than petrol, you also still have free road fund for a couple of years and very little servicing requirements so still cheaper to run overall but not as good as it once was.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Remember to factor in the purchase price as well, they are a lot more than the comparable size petrol car. Possibly go hybrid to start with?

HPIMG

Visit site
Wife has a Porsche boxter gts 4.0 so it quite likes petrol, she doesn’t do that much mileage.
Shes decided she wants a new car and doesn’t want to wait till 2025 for the new boxter. So it’s between a 911 that’s petrol a cayman coupe petrol or a taycan that’s Electric she was saying the taycan would basically be free to run and I was thinking that doesn’t sound right. Shes going on about this taycan because she has a courtesy car a few weeks ago and really liked it. We are booked in for Saturday to test them all and pick one but I’m still leaning towards petrol myself.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife has a Porsche boxter gts 4.0 so it quite likes petrol, she doesn’t do that much mileage.
Shes decided she wants a new car and doesn’t want to wait till 2025 for the new boxter. So it’s between a 911 that’s petrol a cayman coupe petrol or a taycan that’s Electric she was saying the taycan would basically be free to run and I was thinking that doesn’t sound right. Shes going on about this taycan because she has a courtesy car a few weeks ago and really liked it. We are booked in for Saturday to test them all and pick one but I’m still leaning towards petrol myself.

If you can home charge, and can do the milage for electric they are fantastic drives. so smooth, plus she clearly likes it

Personally I don't want to buy another ice car, I love driving EV

Can't wait until the lease is up on mine tho so I can get a slightly bigger one now the lease has proven it suits us

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Even a Boxster 4.0 GTS is supposed to get about 25+ mpg. £400 of petrol must be about 1500 miles, which is NOT low mileage is anyone's book.
Is she taking it on track days all the time?

Sounds like she is a Porsche driver through and through and no other make is under consideration.
In that case, all I can say is that if she always buys Porsche, why is she worrying about running costs?
Sounds like she loved the Taycan, wants one, and is trying to justify it - but why? If she wants one and can afford it, just go for it.

HPIMG

Visit site
Even a Boxster 4.0 GTS is supposed to get about 25+ mpg. £400 of petrol must be about 1500 miles, which is NOT low mileage is anyone's book.
Is she taking it on track days all the time?

Sounds like she is a Porsche driver through and through and no other make is under consideration.
In that case, all I can say is that if she always buys Porsche, why is she worrying about running costs?
Sounds like she loved the Taycan, wants one, and is trying to justify it - but why? If she wants one and can afford it, just go for it.

I know she only drives in sports mode and she does drive quite fast. I don’t drive her car much but I know on mine I lose about 100 miles a tank driving sports vs eco and I do myself only drive mine in sports mode it’s just more fun. She definitely wants to stick with Porsche it was just she’s spinning it to me that if I get her the taycan it’s going to cost nothing to run lol but I was just not convinced so thought I would ask as I seen a while ago a thread about electric cars.

D-S

Visit site
Friend of mine has just traded in his EV Porsche (it had the shape of a 911, not sure what the name of it was) that he bought new under a year ago and has now gone back to a petrol 911 - whole series of small issues culminating with the need to stop 4 times on the way back from Manchester to Bristol due to charger availability.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
From another forum.

Having watched The Macmaster document living with his electric Porsche Taycan on YouTube, if you do anything more than local short trips the electric car is useless. One video last week he drove from his home in Nottingham to Gatwick airport for a flight obviously cannot leave his car charging for days at the airport, he went New York come back. not enough range to get home, so now he's tired, just wants to go home, and cannot. Searches for a charging point, only 1 at the services and its in use, so he tries the next one now with only 40 miles range left and they are both out of order at the Watford Gap services due to grid capacity issues. Even when he finds one he has to wait for an hour while it charges up a bit. When he got home he was going to go out late afternoon, but cannot because he wasted more time trying to get charge to go home, then when he got home his home charger said next day until charged.

In it's current state the most I would entertain is a hybrid, but thats only because in the range of engine options the hybrid is the fastest 0 to 60 on the car I would get next.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Collected tesla model 3 on 15th December 2022. Done over 5000 miles that costed under 200 pounds.
I drive between 70 to 130 miles a day. Charging only at home.
It all depends how much you paying per kw electricity. Mines is 14 pence per kw.
Nothing can beat Tesla superchargers if you going for the longer trip

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Collected tesla model 3 on 15th December 2022. Done over 5000 miles that costed under 200 pounds.
It all depends how much you paying per kw electricity. Mines is 14 pence per kw.

If you are going to be regular long distance driver as it stands it's worth the premium of a Tesla for super charging

However they have just dropped the price so they aren't quite as costly

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Assuming you had my Skoda diesel which did 40 mpg, 5000 miles would use 125 gallons at £7 per gallon = £875, so you've saved £675 in 3 months, x 4 = £2,700 saving per year. (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming you had my Skoda diesel which did 40 mpg, 5000 miles would use 125 gallons at £7 per gallon = £875, so you've saved £675 in 3 months, x 4 = £2,700 saving per year. (y)

Mine is 12,000 miles a year , average 150 a charge, 45kw battery so that's 80 charges of that at 12p works out £432 (bear in mind it switched to 12p a month ago was 5.5p before that so first 2 years have been that for a 2 year period)

I also do 3000 miles in a year in my big car and set aside £50 pcm for fuel for that , so just over £1000 a year in fuel for them both

I used to pay (before fuel rose dramatically) £100 pcm for fuel, would work out about £150 pcm now so not bad