The all things EV chat thread

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your going to use Tesco sign up for podpoint app, they use them mostly, very easy to confirm charge

Have you got octopus? Get on there overnight charging tariff

Also they own the electric verse now, you can link it to your energy account to pay for charging and you can request a card that you just tap at the chargers and it will bill you

Is it wrong that this is what I'm most excited about for getting my electric car? :D

Still a few months to wait, and need to get my complimentary home charger sorted first - but the convenience of being billed to my electricity account is ruddy wonderful.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are so many tariffs I don't know where to start

Do you have a home charger yet? If not get a ohme pro and use octopus intelligent tariff (6 hours cheap charging plus they will map charges for you and give you more hours)

If you have a charger just go onto octopus go

Its 45p day rate and 12p in the cheap 4 hours at night

Those 4 hours will add 28kw into your car for 12p a unit which will more than cover a day usage and is cheaper than using Tesco as that's 27p

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it wrong that this is what I'm most excited about for getting my electric car? :D

Still a few months to wait, and need to get my complimentary home charger sorted first - but the convenience of being billed to my electricity account is ruddy wonderful.

Only if it's on their network ofc

Try and get a ohme pro charger if you can then you can get onto intelligent

However what car is it? That might be compatible anyways

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

Those 4 hours will add 28kw into your car for 12p a unit which will more than cover a day usage and is cheaper than using Tesco as that's 27p
That's all fine for people who use their EV a lot. But I suspect Bob might be a low mileage driver, in which case the majority of his electricity usage will be in the home during the day/evening. You don't want to be paying 45p a unit in those circumstances.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's all fine for people who use their EV a lot. But I suspect Bob might be a low mileage driver, in which case the majority of his electricity usage will be in the home during the day/evening. You don't want to be paying 45p a unit in those circumstances.

Depends on his home usage aswell ofc. If it's low the extra 11p a unit is less noticeable than the saving on go / intelligent

Also load shift a wash or tumble to night does add to the saving

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you have a home charger yet? If not get a ohme pro and use octopus intelligent tariff (6 hours cheap charging plus they will map charges for you and give you more hours)

But as I said, I'd only be charging it once every 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently with Shell which is 32.8 unit rate so cheaper for when I use it most

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But as I said, I'd only be charging it once every 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently with Shell which is 32.8 unit rate so cheaper for when I use it most

That is incredible for charging once every 2 weeks, hats off

Tesco will save 5p per KW for a charge then , but even home charge won't be too bad £13 every couple weeks

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Also they own the electric verse now, you can link it to your energy account to pay for charging and you can request a card that you just tap at the chargers and it will bill you

This is good to know as we're waiting for the email to say that our move from Bulb to Octopus has been completed. My pet peeve about public charging is the amount of apps/cards etc you need so it's good to have the option of a card that covers a number of chargers. I think more chargers are coming out with just the touch payments for credit/debit cards which will also make the process less complicated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@bobmac there is a Morrisons right behind where I work, new one, with 2 chargers. They are also tucked away, nowhere near the front door. It might be irritating but it will mean that lazy people will not park there in their ICE cars simply because it is close to the door. This happens so often with parent and child places, sometimes even with disabled spaces. Whilst you may get a little wet, ultimately it means you get in the space to hook up and charge.
What about a disabled person with an EV.?
its probably the electricity supply runs at the edge of the car park making it cheaper to site them there?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about a disabled person with an EV.?
its probably the electricity supply runs at the edge of the car park making it cheaper to site them there?
A disabled person can park in the appropriate spot for them, they just wont be able to charge their car at the same time. Better to have a parking place available that they can use where location is critical. As someone who is rarely in a supermarket for more than 10 minutes, I don't see them as being central to charging policy. Handy for a top up, but no more.

You could be right about the supply but I also think it is logical in terms of location. Too many people are selfish in terms of parking where they want, no matter the designation of the space, so this makes sense imo.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So Tash goes to Lidl to get his Black pudding ( they had none). Anyway as I drove into the carpark I noticed a white Tesla with Green P Plate on to show they had just passed their test. I remember that it because I am thinking they passed their test and now have an electric car to drive. It was parked outside Lidl itself not in a parking place and I thought it was picking someone up. Anyway I drove into a space and noticed the Tesla drive past the back of mine as I got out of the car. As I walked round the back of the car at the side of me towards Lidl I just heard what sounded like a sewing machine and glanced over my shoulder and the Tesla was about 18” from my right side. I stopped walking, the car driver had not noticed me and had I not stopped I would now be flat. After I stopped walking he went another three foot and then he noticed me and stopped the car. His face was a picture. Now the thing is I had seen it go by but I barely heard it Reverse. Why do they not have any audible reverse alarm.
He waved me past and I walked another 50 yds To the shop.I looked back and He went back and forwards 3 times to get it parked.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Aren't Teslas supposed to be able to park themselves? I thought that was one of their party tricks.

The driver of the car was around 50 yrs old of oriental disposition. None of that I had noticed til he nearly smacked me. And I thought “ hang on nearly 50, just past his test“. me head was spinning a bit at the near miss and I had a smile at him trying to park his car. Especially as he could of just drove it to and end spot and driven straight out.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
A Tesla can’t run you over, they auto stop if there is a person in the way.
The only explanation that it might be disabled is that Elon wants YOU to die. Or the marketing is overselling the feature.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The only explanation that it might be disabled is that Elon wants YOU to die. Or the marketing is overselling the feature.

You know what Larry, I mentioned the guys face looked a picture. I wonder if the car did stop without him knowing I was there. 😳. Come what may he nearly owed me a toilet roll.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My car does this when it senses the gate post it’s a pain in the bum.
its not even that close.
might look if it can be adjusted.