The all things EV chat thread

Jason.H

Visit site
Interesting to see what the colder temps have done to the car. Up until a few weeks back I was getting 270 odd miles to a ‘tank’, about 3.7kWh with a battery of 73kWh. This has dropped to about 2.1kWh doing the same journeys. Range is about 160 miles give or take.

Was fully prepared for the drop in range but didn’t think it’d be quite this brutal! :LOL::LOL:

Ouch so you pay more now to charge and the range is down considerably.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting to see what the colder temps have done to the car. Up until a few weeks back I was getting 270 odd miles to a ‘tank’, about 3.7kWh with a battery of 73kWh. This has dropped to about 2.1kWh doing the same journeys. Range is about 160 miles give or take.

Was fully prepared for the drop in range but didn’t think it’d be quite this brutal! :LOL::LOL:

That's painful, a 40% drop. I assume it's partly due to the temperatures and partly due to driving with heaters and headlights on most of the time?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's painful, a 40% drop. I assume it's partly due to the temperatures and partly due to driving with heaters and headlights on most of the time?

It's mainly due to temperature, headlights really use little electric, same with heaters as they are heat pumps now. If you pre condition the cars you get longer range and don't have to use the heater as much because it's already at 20 degree for example when you get in and it just maintains that

Summer I get roughly 170 out of a charge
Winter 140 roughly
These extreme weeks 120 maybe worse case

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it trip out when the unit is just on standby? if there is no obvious damage to the cable it must be a faulty unit. What make is it? The ones we have been fitting come with a 3 Year warranty.
Lad has told me it’s a problem in the car.
He took it to Tesco and it wouldn’t charge there either.
He’s a mobile pharmacist and needs his car it’s 3 month old that’s pretty poor imo.
But could happen to a ice car just as easily.
He’s borrowed mine ,so I am on shanks pony.

Since found out you have to push the RCB switch down hard to click ,before it will reset.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He’s a mobile pharmacist and needs his car it’s 3 month old that’s pretty poor imo.

Since found out you have to push the RCB switch down hard to click ,before it will reset.

Which car is it? I'm waiting for a replacement on board charger ATM (been waiting 2 months) but luckily it still charges just very intermittently will stop after hour. Like u say could happen to an ice car..

I've cut them a lot of slack with it as the chip shortage is an issue BUT their lack of EV knowledge has caused this. I sent it first to them in June, then August and then sept

Only in sept did they agree with my findings about it being a onboard charger fault

Others having the same issue got instant parts ordered this dealer is just useless

Anyways back to your issue. The car, has he tried rapid Charging it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which car is it? I'm waiting for a replacement on board charger ATM (been waiting 2 months) but luckily it still charges just very intermittently will stop after hour. Like u say could happen to an ice car..

I've cut them a lot of slack with it as the chip shortage is an issue BUT their lack of EV knowledge has caused this. I sent it first to them in June, then August and then sept

Only in sept did they agree with my findings about it being a onboard charger fault

Others having the same issue got instant parts ordered this dealer is just useless

Anyways back to your issue. The car, has he tried rapid Charging it?
It’s a Citroen don’t know the model.
Yes he said “ rapid charger was ok for 30 mins then shut down” keeping him going but not ideal with 3 kids.
His home charger keeps tripping out.
It’s going back to dealer tomorrow.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a Citroen don’t know the model.
Yes he said “ rapid charger was ok for 30 mins then shut down” keeping him going but not ideal with 3 kids.
His home charger keeps tripping out.
It’s going back to dealer tomorrow.

Yeah mined a vauxhall so same group

No ideal at all, least he will get a loan car, I'd push for an ev one or say cover the petrol costs.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

This can be a PITA when trying to talk to someone on the phone about resetting a RCD. (I can only think of one brand MK sentry that has this feature, but there might be more)
Had a few call outs that just need the switch pushing down then up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This can be a PITA when trying to talk to someone on the phone about resetting a RCD. (I can only think of one brand MK sentry that has this feature, but there might be more)
Had a few call outs that just need the switch pushing down then up.
I googled it tbh.
Wasn’t that hard to find the answer.
Thank guys.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What type of car do you have out of interest? Does it have a heat pump? My normal for my Model 3 is pretty much exactly the same as you at 270wh/mile, I've never seen it go anywhere near 475wh/mile in the winter and I'm up in Northern Scotland. My winter is around 320wh/mile and I do a lot of short journies which is bad for efficiency as you are heating up the interior and battery every time.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What type of car do you have out of interest? Does it have a heat pump? My normal for my Model 3 is pretty much exactly the same as you at 270wh/mile, I've never seen it go anywhere near 475wh/mile in the winter and I'm up in Northern Scotland. My winter is around 320wh/mile and I do a lot of short journies which is bad for efficiency as you are heating up the interior and battery every time.

Hyundai Ioniq 5. I didn't go for the ECO pack which includes the battery preconditioning/heat pump etc which might well have helped in these conditions. I am also doing the shorter journeys which isn't helping at the moment. I have a longer journey to Bournemouth on NYE so will be interesting to see if I get more miles if the temps continue like this. Interesting you don't see the same drop, whilst they're different cars the tech is essentially the same.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hyundai Ioniq 5. I didn't go for the ECO pack which includes the battery preconditioning/heat pump etc which might well have helped in these conditions. I am also doing the shorter journeys which isn't helping at the moment. I have a longer journey to Bournemouth on NYE so will be interesting to see if I get more miles if the temps continue like this. Interesting you don't see the same drop, whilst they're different cars the tech is essentially the same.

It shouldn't be an extra , it's bad it is, such an important factor.. makes battery last longer life span wise and distance

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My old Model 3 didn't have a heat pump and it wasn't that much worse than my new one which does has the heat pump to be honest, I would say around 5% overall. I would think with a longer journey you should see much better efficiency as the initial heating does take its toll. Winter weather is always worse with temperature, wind, and wet roads but you also tend to be driving a little slower which helps.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It shouldn't be an extra , it's bad it is, such an important factor.. makes battery last longer life span wise and distance

Yeah, when I ordered there were Tech packs and the Eco pack that were optional extras, I went for the former but didn't bother with the latter. I think it's becoming standard in the 2023 models.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something is not right there. My miles per kW hardly changes no matter what the weather. Wouldn't be surprised if the Kona has the same battery as the ionic with them both being hyundai. Fan speed on the heater drastically decreases range. Have you checked that?
I'm also Interested why you think the length of journey is relevant?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This week’s Fully Charged Show is looking at 2nd hand EVs. They still seem to be very expensive. And a lot of ‘if you need a short journey runaround’ possibly as 2nd car.

I still want one, but I also still don’t want to pay that ,only for one ;-)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Something is not right there. My miles per kW hardly changes no matter what the weather. Wouldn't be surprised if the Kona has the same battery as the ionic with them both being hyundai. Fan speed on the heater drastically decreases range. Have you checked that?
I'm also Interested why you think the length of journey is relevant?

You’re doing well to have no loss in range, cold weather seems to have a huge effect on EV range based on the FB groups I’m in. I don’t have the fan speed on high as it’s just annoying so will have it on one of the lowest settings. I will preheat the car which obviously uses some battery however it’s just the mil/kWh that’s the main culprit. As I said, I’ve got from around 3.7 down to 2.3 or thereabouts.