The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to say it's the only thing I really dislike about my mate's Model S, any task is menu after menu all the whilst taking eyes off the road. Last time I drove it the AC was set at 24 degrees and it was melting outside. I didn't even try adjusting it, just opened the window. Normal dials for AC etc and the Model S would be nigh perfect.

I believe (once used to it) you can set it all via voice

No doubt it will change the radio when you ask the car to turn the temp to 19

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say it's the only thing I really dislike about my mate's Model S, any task is menu after menu all the whilst taking eyes off the road. Last time I drove it the AC was set at 24 degrees and it was melting outside. I didn't even try adjusting it, just opened the window. Normal dials for AC etc and the Model S would be nigh perfect.
What gets my goat is that it's presumably legal to operate the multi-level menus on these touchscreens, but so much as think of touching your phone (even when stopped at a red light or in a traffic jam) and you're nicked, sonny jim.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, auto AC, I hardly change any setting in my car.
I think the only thing is the music and I do that with the steering wheel buttons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree, anything that takes your eyes off the road is not good.
The video I linked to just shows how far ahead Tesla are over other EV manufacturers.
I'd prefer a balance of having some buttons/switches.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Peugeot's have had certain touch screen features long before the EV's came out. I've been stranded in France for five days before for stupidly using them whilst driving, and had an accident in a Nissan Juke prior to that due to using heater controls that meant me having to take my eyes off the road. My own fault both times, but easy to do.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, auto AC, I hardly change any setting in my car.
I think the only thing is the music and I do that with the steering wheel buttons
Now we know who is the person who relies on auto lights and doesn't turn them on in fog ;)Bob must be driving loads of cars round my way this morning!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now we know who is the person who relies on auto lights and doesn't turn them on in fog ;)Bob must be driving loads of cars round my way this morning!
It's the biggest weakness of auto lights. That along with auto lights that don't show a symbol on the dash to show they are on dipped. Thick fog here today and more than half the cars didn't have rear lights on as it wasn't dark.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the biggest weakness of auto lights. That along with auto lights that don't show a symbol on the dash to show they are on dipped. Thick fog here today and more than half the cars didn't have rear lights on as it wasn't dark.
I despise all auto ancilliaries in cars: lights, wipers, AC. I am perfectly capable of knowing when these things should be turned on or off.

That said, I suppose if in order to switch them on or off I needed to navigate menus on a touchscreen, then automatic activation would be required. But that is a solution to a problem that wouldn't be present if only the car had proper switches instead of a touchscreen.

Let's not kid ourselves that this is progress. Removing physical switches and replacing them with software is nothing more than a cost-saving measure. It has nothing to do with improving the driving experience, and as Smiffy says, is a positive menace to road safety.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I despise all auto ancilliaries in cars: lights, wipers, AC. I am perfectly capable of knowing when these things should be turned on or off.

That said, I suppose if in order to switch them on or off I needed to navigate menus on a touchscreen, then automatic activation would be required. But that is a solution to a problem that wouldn't be present if only the car had proper switches instead of a touchscreen.

Let's not kid ourselves that this is progress. Removing physical switches and replacing them with software is nothing more than a cost-saving measure. It has nothing to do with improving the driving experience, and as Smiffy says, is a positive menace to road safety.

The lights on the Corsa are a game changer

"VAUXHALL INTELLILUX LED LIGHTS"

Basically they put full beam on automatically but they also stop you blinding people so you can have full behind behind someone it senses what bit of the light to activate

Really good.

Only thing I'll miss when it goes back

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The lights on the Corsa are a game changer

"VAUXHALL INTELLILUX LED LIGHTS"

Basically they put full beam on automatically but they also stop you blinding people so you can have full behind behind someone it senses what bit of the light to activate

Really good.

Only thing I'll miss when it goes back

My Mazda has similar when you switch to auto light, it changes to full beam if it thinks there’s no other cars or street lights, very clever. Only down side, it can sometimes go on and off quick quickly if cars are going in the opposite direction, anyone behind me will think I’m a total nutter ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Mazda has similar when you switch to auto light, it changes to full beam if it thinks there’s no other cars or street lights, very clever. Only down side, it can sometimes go on and off quick quickly if cars are going in the opposite direction, anyone behind me will think I’m a total nutter ?

Oh no these are step above, I had that system on my honda

These ones will have the full beem on with traffic in front of you when it's really dark but it won't blind them

"Adaptive IntelliLux LED technology is available on the new Corsa, Astra and new Insignia, as well as the all-new Mokka and fully-electric Mokka-e, making night-time drives safer and more comfortable. The glare-free headlights automatically switch to main-beam outside urban areas, and continuously adapt the range and distribution of the light beam pattern to suit the road conditions and avoid dazzling oncoming traffic."

"The adaptive IntelliLux LED Pixel Lights on the new Insignia feature 168 individual LED elements. The high number of continuously reacting LED elements results in a seamlessly adaptative light beam that avoids glaring oncoming or passing vehicles while optimising visibility for the driver."