The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was due a visit from a sales rep on Tuesday. She rang and apologised but her car was draining too quickly and she couldn't guarantee getting home afterwards. She has had it since Easter, loves it, but was shocked by the drop off in range in this cold snap. I forgot to ask which model it was, I'll try to find out.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re doing well to have no loss in range, cold weather seems to have a huge effect on EV range based on the FB groups I’m in. I don’t have the fan speed on high as it’s just annoying so will have it on one of the lowest settings. I will preheat the car which obviously uses some battery however it’s just the mil/kWh that’s the main culprit. As I said, I’ve got from around 3.7 down to 2.3 or thereabouts.
I do have loss of range. My battery that charges to around 290 only charges to about 240/250 at the moment. But I usually get 3.5/4 per kwh. Last night on the way to work with the heating on high and foot to the floor I was getting 3.2/3.5. Below is my driving for the last 17 days.

Attachments

• _20221215_094358.JPG
    _20221215_094358.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Something is not right there. My miles per kW hardly changes no matter what the weather. Wouldn't be surprised if the Kona has the same battery as the ionic with them both being hyundai. Fan speed on the heater drastically decreases range. Have you checked that?
I'm also Interested why you think the length of journey is relevant?

You're the exception to the rule if you notice no difference unless you preheat the car while connected to the mains every journey. Wet roads have higher resistance, high wind too, a cold battery has poorer efficiency, and you're using battery to heat the car from below freezing at the moment. All this adds up to higher consumption, especially on short journies as you are heating the car every time just to travel a few miles. Some people seem to be affected much worse than others, I normally see an average of around 15% to 20% extra consumption compared to the summer, but you have to also remember that "normal" cars have a drop in mpg in the winter as well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're the exception to the rule if you notice no difference unless you preheat the car while connected to the mains every journey. Wet roads have higher resistance, high wind too, a cold battery has poorer efficiency, and you're using battery to heat the car from below freezing at the moment. All this adds up to higher consumption, especially on short journies as you are heating the car every time just to travel a few miles. Some people seem to be affected much worse than others, I normally see an average of around 15% to 20% extra consumption compared to the summer, but you have to also remember that "normal" cars have a drop in mpg in the winter as well.
I'm not talking about the overall range I'm talking about the miles to kwh.
The heater doesn't have the impact that you think (10 minutes of full blast heat when stationary uses 2 miles range) . Sure it has an effect but it doesn't explain the drastic drop in range that he's getting. As I explained before, I can't charge as much in cold weather but the miles per kwh are not far off at all. It definitely isn't effected by wet roads and high winds enough to notice ? That's hilarious.
You see a later post I've made of my kwh last night when I was driving like a mooron. My car is nothing special (especially when his is a hyundai too) I personally think he maybe has something running he's not aware of or the kona is in fact different to the iconic. Can't see why there's a difference when it's the same operating system and his car is more aerodynamic than mine

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I do have loss of range. My battery that charges to around 290 only charges to about 240/250 at the moment. But I usually get 3.5/4 per kwh. Last night on the way to work with the heating on high and foot to the floor I was getting 3.2/3.5. Below is my driving for the last 17 days.

My 'full tank' on the GOM is 200 from memory however the real range is closer to 150. 3.6/7 was my standard energy usage during the warmer months and that was with air con going and driving without much regard for energy usage, coming from an Audi S4 I am not one who is bothered about managing my miles etc.

It is only since the drop in terms that this drop off has occurred, probably 2.1/2 per kWh.

I had a look at my app and this is my present consumption....

Car Energy.jpg
I have the climate set to 20 degrees as I don't like it too warm and the fan speed is 2/5 as I can't hear myself think with it going full blast. Other than that I don't have anything electrical running in the background that I would attribute to this loss in range.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 'full tank' on the GOM is 200 from memory however the real range is closer to 150. 3.6/7 was my standard energy usage during the warmer months and that was with air con going and driving without much regard for energy usage, coming from an Audi S4 I am not one who is bothered about managing my miles etc.

It is only since the drop in terms that this drop off has occurred, probably 2.1/2 per kWh.

I had a look at my app and this is my present consumption....

View attachment 45595
I have the climate set to 20 degrees as I don't like it too warm and the fan speed is 2/5 as I can't hear myself think with it going full blast. Other than that I don't have anything electrical running in the background that I would attribute to this loss in range.
That's crazy. You say other drivers with your car are getting the same too? I've got to go to hyundai Monday to pick up a new key. I'll ask the question

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's crazy. You say other drivers with your car are getting the same too? I've got to go to hyundai Monday to pick up a new key. I'll ask the question

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be uncommon otherwise I'd be on the phone to the dealer now to ask them whether there is something draining the battery that I'm unaware of. I've actually just got off the phone to a supplier of mine, he has a Polestar and his winter stats are very similar to mine, GOM shows 210 but his actual driving range is 150 so that also seems more in keeping with my experiences.

If you do speak to them on Monday I'd be interested to know whether they have any answers as to the difference in range (or loss of) between our two cars given they're both Hyundai's!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If anyone is looking for an EV lease - worth looking at the possibility of your employer signing up to the OctopusEV scheme;

https://octopusev.com/

As it's a lease, you get everything included (car, insurance, maintenance, tyres, servicing etc) and if you do it through your employment it works on a salary sacrifice, so takes the payment out before tax.

I'm waiting for delivery of my Skoda Enyaq (still got ages to wait, but not in a rush), but the whole process is very well managed and you even get a home charger installed for free as part of the package (I think this is still the case)

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not talking about the overall range I'm talking about the miles to kwh.
The heater doesn't have the impact that you think (10 minutes of full blast heat when stationary uses 2 miles range) . Sure it has an effect but it doesn't explain the drastic drop in range that he's getting. As I explained before, I can't charge as much in cold weather but the miles per kwh are not far off at all. It definitely isn't effected by wet roads and high winds enough to notice ? That's hilarious.
You see a later post I've made of my kwh last night when I was driving like a mooron. My car is nothing special (especially when his is a hyundai too) I personally think he maybe has something running he's not aware of or the kona is in fact different to the iconic. Can't see why there's a difference when it's the same operating system and his car is more aerodynamic than mine

I never siad it was causing his drastic drop in range, I always said I wouldn't expect anywhere near increase in wh/mile he's experiencing. Just saying that the vast majority of EV drivers notice an increase in consumption in the winter and the reasons for it, or at least in my experience anyway from running an EV for a few winters.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested to see what the latest update for the car does , ATM we can only precondition if the battery is over 50% which is a pain in the sense that sometimes on say your second trip to work in winter you will be on 45% .. then you just want to charge .. so end up charging nightly regardless

However the update apparently lets you precondition lower which would be great

My work is 50 mile round trip which I can do 2 and a half times in winter or pushing it 3 ..

Summer can do 3.5 times or 4 at a push ..

My part has finally arrived in the country , fitting in 4th January.. will see if the update is ready for me

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just priced a KIA EV6 (GT Line AWD, so not even the top spec) and they want £856pm on their PCP and that's with a £5k deposit.

In perspective, I pay £710 per month on a top spec BMW 840i Gran Coupe and I was paying £720 pm on a fully specced up M340i. Both of which are far more fun to drive.
they need to look at the pricing structures if a £51k car is that much per month, completely disproportionate.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just priced a KIA EV6 (GT Line AWD, so not even the top spec) and they want £856pm on their PCP and that's with a £5k deposit.

In perspective, I pay £710 per month on a top spec BMW 840i Gran Coupe and I was paying £720 pm on a fully specced up M340i. Both of which are far more fun to drive.
they need to look at the pricing structures if a £51k car is that much per month, completely disproportionate.

For true comparison what would the price be on PCP etc for those 2 car now . With the interest rate rise and prices of cars going up would it be 710

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
For true comparison what would the price be on PCP etc for those 2 car now . With the interest rate rise and prices of cars going up would it be 710

Whilst the base price of the car has risen slightly, BMW are actually offering lower interest to what I got (4.9% vs 5.1%) and so with that base price increase the same terms that I got would be £739 pm. So it's up slightly but still lower than what Kia are offering.

I can't comment on the M340i as the actual car is not the same now so is not comparable in current form. But is still cheaper regardless.

Edit, the new MHT M340i with the same upgrades would be £704 pm (interest rate 3.6% vs 4.4% that I had). Not the same car though as mine does not have mild hybrid.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still no.

I really do want to. I was behind and along side an EV6 earlier and liked the look, hence pricing it.

The i4 has gone up £6k whilst most ICE models (BMW at least) average about £3k increase.

The gouging has started already.

I’ll see out the PCP on the 8er and probably still go i4 but that’s 2024 instead of 2023 as planned.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone driven one of the Genesis models? I saw them at the Scottish Open and they looked very nice. I'd be interested to hear real world experiences of them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read a report on the web that states there are only 3 models in the UK that cost less than £30k new ??

As with everything the price rockets

Im only 35 but I remember buying 2 of my cars brand new for 8k and 10k respectively .. there 8k one is about 12k starting now and the 10k one doesn't exist or have a comparable car in their range

But I remember paying 15k for a second hand BMW 3 series that was 3 years old ..similar model 24k 3 years old now

Those 30k will be the MGs but when your ford focus which is a very good but should be reasonable price car starts at 26k that mg for 4k more doesn't look so bad

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really do want to. I was behind and along side an EV6 earlier and liked the look, hence pricing it.

The i4 has gone up £6k whilst most ICE models (BMW at least) average about £3k increase.

The gouging has started already.

I’ll see out the PCP on the 8er and probably still go i4 but that’s 2024 instead of 2023 as planned.

Tesla really not appeal to you? Apparently they are on a stock clearance of showroom products which give 5k off and then give 6000 miles of free charging on their network

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tesla really not appeal to you? Apparently they are on a stock clearance of showroom products which give 5k off and then give 6000 miles of free charging on their network

Nope, I like the look of the Model S but not the price or the tablet controls system (frequently drive a friends).

Also not keen on funding the increasingly unhinged lunatic that is Musk.