The all things EV chat thread

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Someone who understands that a top speed of "only 78" isn't going to be 78 in the real World.:)

Someone who used to have a Honda Jazz in the family; perfectly functional for the reasons it was bought, absolutely devoid of any sort of driving pleasure and an utter pain on A roads and Motorways. Absolutely fine around town and for carting the old gits about but if we were going anywhere that involved the National speed limit it was the Subaru every time.

D

Deleted member 29109

Someone who used to have a Honda Jazz in the family; perfectly functional for the reasons it was bought, absolutely devoid of any sort of driving pleasure and an utter pain on A roads and Motorways. Absolutely fine around town and for carting the old gits about but if we were going anywhere that involved the National speed limit it was the Subaru every time.

The Honda Jazz, usually in metallic blue rinse is the car most likely to be doing 40mph no matter what the actual speed limit or conditions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The main reason for going with them was that our regular electrician recommended them and installs loads of them. We looked at Podpoint, Zappi and Hypervolt and they all looked very good, I'd imagine we'd have been happy with whichever we'd have chosen as the reviews are all very positive, in the end it was purely down to the recommendation. We decided we might as well upgrade the master fuse given the costs involved as it gives us an element of future proofing the property and seeing as we had other electric jobs being done and our electrician was upgrading our consumer unit anyway.

The upgrade cost was from Bulb for them to come and upgrade the meter tails. UK Power Networks do their bit for free as long as it doesn't involve expensive remedial works such as digging up driveways etc!!

Makes a lot of sense, I really want to upgrade our fuse . However we are looped supply with next door so think it's dig up our shared drive to unloop it. Prob cost a bit ATM when I've kept a close eye on our amps

At 01:30 car comes on to charge , tumble and washing go on (or just tumble) dishwasher on and the dehumidifier in kitchen , pulls 45 amp max

Even have a bit of play for when the powerwall arrives and pulls max 14.5

So really would only just touch the fuse but then the car would slow slightly if need be

Will defo need to upgrade if get a heat pump

All good tho because majority of usage would be below the 20 amp constant output powerwall can put out (up to 29amp for short bursts)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had my charger installed yesterday so all good on that front.

Just had a message from Hyundai that the car that was originally Jan, then March, then June/July is now more likely for Sept/Oct. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world however I was hoping to get it before we reach that point.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had my charger installed yesterday so all good on that front.

Just had a message from Hyundai that the car that was originally Jan, then March, then June/July is now more likely for Sept/Oct. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world however I was hoping to get it before we reach that point.

That's a shame, especially with the price of fuel it would have been ideal to get sooner

D

Deleted member 23270

The latest figures I could find show that there are 400k Electric vehicles in the UK and 750k Plug in hybrids. This compares to around 12 million ICE cars. That would fit with the allocation in supermarkets of around 1 in 100 vehicles being electric and providing 1 charging point for each 100 spaces. I would expect that number to increase with the increase in electric cars on the road and probably even faster if they start charging and can make money from them.
I think the issue though is time. Each normal space might be filled for as little as a few minutes if just popping in for a few items whereas a charging point is going to be occupied for a lot longer especially if the EV owner doesn't have the option to charge at home.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's a little city runaround with a meagre range. It's not intended for motorway or A-road journeys. Even a 60mph top speed, let alone 78, would be fine for the intended usage.
That may be so but we all know they will be driven on dual carriageways and motorways. I see quite a few Smart cars on the motorway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry how remiss of me to get the price wrong. Did you see that my post said 'from around'? Still, nice pedantry on your part.
For the record the cheapest new car on sale in the UK in 2021 was the Dacia Sandero starting at £7995. I've seen lots of those on the road.

This is one my personal favs

Moan EVs aren't cheap enough . Find cheapest ice car on market and use as example even if they would never buy one themselves

Then the same company comes out with a cheap ev

I really don't think I could live with 78mph top speed ?

Again with a car that would not be bought by everyone

Maybe those who can't afford the expensive ones would consider them as a good option

Standard no matter what the situation the same pointless statements will be made

Just wait for the cars with 500 mile range off a 10 min charge

Well I drive 501 miles and I don't want to charge in 10 mins.

Ok now it's 1000 miles and 5 min charge

Well it doesn't come in black.

?