The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's good to see that things are improving, and let's hope they continue to do so.
But it's also interesting that you like to cherry pick data to support your cause. (Have you noticed that it's quite windy today?)
How about overall yearly averages:
View attachment 41379
Fossil fuels: 41.3%
Renewables: 24.6%
Others: 25%
(Presumably interconnectors account for the remaining 9.1%)

Ok, the weekly figures show 23.6% fossil fuels
Monthly figures show 30.9% fossil fuels
And as you pointed out, the yearly figures show 41.3% fossil fuels.
So when you said ''electricity generation is primarily from fossil fuels'' you were out of date.
As was your assumption
''running an EV isn't actually any better for the environment than petrol''

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, the weekly figures show 23.6% fossil fuels
Monthly figures show 30.9% fossil fuels
And as you pointed out, the yearly figures show 41.3% fossil fuels.
So when you said ''electricity generation is primarily from fossil fuels'' you were out of date.
As was your assumption
''running an EV isn't actually any better for the environment than petrol''
Fair point. I may have exaggerated a little.
Perhaps I should have said that running an EV isn't as green as some like to make out.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair point. I may have exaggerated a little.
Perhaps I should have said that running an EV isn't as green as some like to make out.

Running an EV is though. It does not emit harmful gases. Fuelling an EV on the other hand, may have reliance on some fossil fuel in the generation of said fuel. Compared to an ICE with is harmful to fuel and also harmful to run.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those numbers dont add up?

They look more like 1 in 10 than 1 in 100, but not sure i believe theres only 12m ICE cars

Maths is hard. And you're quite right, ignoring my inability to do simple maths, I was also starting with incorrect figures. The values for EV and hybrid are correct. The 12 million is actually just the diesel powered cars. There's a further 19 million petrol powered cars.

So that's approx 31 million ICE cars (I've rounded those numbers up. Actual total is 30.6 million in total) and 1.1 million EV/hybrid. I'm not going to embarrass myself further by trying to work out the exact number per 100, so let's just say it's more than 3 and less than 4 EV/hybrid for every ICE car.

Numbers are from Question 12 in the below article from RAC.....

https://www.racfoundation.org/motor...sel and,and 1.1 million alternatively-fuelled.

D

Deleted member 18121

Extreme case I accept, but a point for thought....a couple of towns less than 5 miles from me have basically been without electricity for 4 days now. Where would that leave electric car owners.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Extreme case I accept, but a point for thought....a couple of towns less than 5 miles from me have basically been without electricity for 4 days now. Where would that leave electric car owners.
To be fair, they did okay when the fuel shortage stupidity kicked off last year. Win some, lose some.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, is increasing the range as simple as changing the battery for a better one or is it more complicated than that?

It depends, battery capacity mainly gives you the range .. but higher you go in capacity the more money u need to spend

I should also add companies sometimes have two range options .. so increased battery

Tbh they should all offer it then you can pick between range and cost

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But by god and all things holy is it ugly.

you are not wrong for sure. However there was a complain previously where is the dacia electric car.. when comparing that a sandero or whatever is 10k

so options are coming

not an option id look at but i like that MG.. plain, boring but cheap and well sized

keeping eye on the skodas, VW and new kia ones aswell

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
you are not wrong for sure. However there was a complain previously where is the dacia electric car.. when comparing that a sandero or whatever is 10k

so options are coming

not an option id look at but i like that MG.. plain, boring but cheap and well sized

keeping eye on the skodas, VW and new kia ones aswell

Funny you mention the MG. My mate’s neighbour has just got one. I had a nosey around and first impressions was with that amount of plastic, it’s not saving the planet. Never seen so much plastic trim everywhere.

I get it’s a price point, but at least look like you’re trying.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny you mention the MG. My mate’s neighbour has just got one. I had a nosey around and first impressions was with that amount of plastic, it’s not saving the planet. Never seen so much plastic trim everywhere.

Ah, but no one is talking about that. It's all about emmissions right now, nothing else seems to matter. Not really joined up thinking.

It's a criticism aimed at all, not just electric car mfrs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

is that the compromise you have to make right now until the battery costs come down? Im not sure. isnt the Leaf for example built from recycled plastics or reclaimed or something.

hopefully things will change soon..