Teetotal ...

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning all

Any of you lot Teetotal?

I’ve just back from the docs and after more medication changes it looks like I am going to have to completely abstain from alcohol now. Not a huge problem as I’m not a big drinker anyway, but I’ve toyed around with not drinking for long enough – I need to just jack it in now and stay off it 100%

I noticed the bar in the golf club sells non-alcoholic beer, and to be honest I’ve had a few bottle before and I was pleasantly surprised with the taste!

Just after any comments from anyone else who doesn’t drink and how they deal with social occasions etc. It’s funny how not smoking isn’t a massive problem anymore but people look at you like you’ve got two heads if you say you don’t drink!

Cheers

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
i had to stay off alcohol for a while due to medication and found Bavaria to be pretty decent and i always took some with me if i went to a party. people just think you're driving half the time

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depending on the medication just be careful on the alcohol free stuff as, strangely, some has a low percentage of alcohol in it. Also loaded with sugar. Know this from dealing with someone who was an alcoholic and has diabetes.

D

Deleted member 21258

I used to drink a lot, like 4-6 pints a night(cider). However over the years I have drunk less and less, as my life is now a lot less stressed and just don't feel the need for it or the day after feeling.

In fact I cant remember the last time I had some alcohol.

I just drink diet coke when out and about, never feels awkward etc, never worried about 'peer' pressure tho.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't drink much and am often the driver on nights out. I'm not teetotal but reduced as I get violent headaches from alcohol the next day and so decided I don't need that. It still amazes me the reaction people give when you ask for a soft drink. Even when being the driver so many still say, "go on, you're allowed one". It's boring to keep saying I don't want one and it would be nice if no one blinked twice.

As DW has mentioned, I also couldn't give a monkeys about peer pressure and just keep drinking what I want. You soon get into the rythym of asking for a soft drink and once past the initial and irritating question you can get on with the night. The two downsides for me, the fizz of a soft drink bloats you up (oh for coffee machines in pubs like you have in clubhouses). Secondly drunk people really aren't as funny as they think they are and when you are stone cold sober you see that with total clarity.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't drink much and am often the driver on nights out. I'm not teetotal but reduced as I get violent headaches from alcohol the next day and so decided I don't need that. It still amazes me the reaction people give when you ask for a soft drink. Even when being the driver so many still say, "go on, you're allowed one". It's boring to keep saying I don't want one and it would be nice if no one blinked twice.

As DW has mentioned, I also couldn't give a monkeys about peer pressure and just keep drinking what I want. You soon get into the rythym of asking for a soft drink and once past the initial and irritating question you can get on with the night. The two downsides for me, the fizz of a soft drink bloats you up (oh for coffee machines in pubs like you have in clubhouses). Secondly drunk people really aren't as funny as they think they are and when you are stone cold sober you see that with total clarity.

This describes me too and I agree drunk people are rarely intentionally funny and they can rarely sing well either !!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hardly ever drink these days.
I'll have a beer or two if I'm out playing at things like H4H or out for a meal but other than that it's rare to find me with a beer.
None in the house at all....

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep im teetotal,have been for years ,39 in fact ,i just couldnt put up with the morning after the night before so knocked it on the head .full stop .
I too am normally designated driver and get the lads home safely in there more often than not slightly drunken state.
its the Ireland fishing trips that I am the only one that is up with the lark and raring to go after a night out on the black stuff for the others.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning all

Any of you lot Teetotal?

I’ve just back from the docs and after more medication changes it looks like I am going to have to completely abstain from alcohol now. Not a huge problem as I’m not a big drinker anyway, but I’ve toyed around with not drinking for long enough – I need to just jack it in now and stay off it 100%

I noticed the bar in the golf club sells non-alcoholic beer, and to be honest I’ve had a few bottle before and I was pleasantly surprised with the taste!

Just after any comments from anyone else who doesn’t drink and how they deal with social occasions etc. It’s funny how not smoking isn’t a massive problem anymore but people look at you like you’ve got two heads if you say you don’t drink!

Cheers

yeah have been tee total since I was 15, never liked the stuff

people think your odd tho

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This describes me too and I agree drunk people are rarely intentionally funny and they can rarely sing well either !!

The hard thing then is that the drunks are all nodding and smiling at the out of tune drunk singer, looking at you and saying "didn't know he could sing". I have to stand there and smile whilst internally thinking, I'm sorry but he can't. Nobody wants the sober bloke to kill the mood.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much. I'm diabetic so that limits what I can and can't drink. I have the odd Guinness on holiday but that's about it. Don't drink at all at home.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The hard thing then is that the drunks are all nodding and smiling at the out of tune drunk singer, looking at you and saying "didn't know he could sing". I have to stand there and smile whilst internally thinking, I'm sorry but he can't. Nobody wants the sober bloke to kill the mood.

I personally think I'm hilarious when drunk ;)

I know where your coming from though being the sober individual! :D

chunter85

Hacker
Visit site
More and more clubs are offering something for those who have to drive, especially in Scotland where the drink drive limit has been reduced.

Best Alcohol free beer I have come across is Bitburger Drive. I have seen it in a few golf clubs and bars, really hard to get in the supermarket, but Majestic and some independent off licenses do it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would love to see more promotion of alcohol free drinks in golf clubs. Cannot be the only one who notices a busy clubhouse, drinks following, even the odd bottle of red wine being sunk but, surprisingly, never any cars left in the car park when I drive past later in the day.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As this is in the lounge I thought it was to do with not using tees at all, not just ditching them for par 3s...

I have a rule, no drinking on a work night. That usually leaves just Friday and Saturday where I might have one or two beers.

I freely admit to drinking 2-3 beers a week.

I also never drink more than one beer if I am driving within 24 hours and none if I am driving within 12.

These golden rules have served me well. But it does mean I have one or two a day while on holiday :eek:

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
The Peer Pressure thing doesn't bother me. Too big and ugly to be worried about any of that!!

The problem I have is, assome have mentioned, the look on peoples faces when you say you don't drink. It's good to see I'm not alone!

Cheers everyone.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all if someone says they don't drink. I've had faces pulled at me and comments made when I've said how much I spend on beer and then I tell them how many beers I've tried so far in my life. :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
yep im teetotal,have been for years ,39 in fact ,i just couldnt put up with the morning after the night before so knocked it on the head .full stop .
I too am normally designated driver and get the lads home safely in there more often than not slightly drunken state.
its the Ireland fishing trips that I am the only one that is up with the lark and raring to go after a night out on the black stuff for the others.

This is me - stopped some years ago now - health reasons. Magic waking up every morning with a clear head (and not worrying about what I might have said and done the night before) :)

There are plenty of good non-alcoholic beers and soft drinks out there. Of the beers my favourite at the moment is Cobra Zero - and Bavaria Non-alcoholic Wheat Beer is also to my taste. If I'm going to a party I'll often take my own stuff along - though all my friends know I don't drink so normally have got stuff in for me and others not imbibing - or not intending to imbibe very much.

These days I have not a problem being in amongst drinkers - but it was a bit difficult at first. Sometimes if I felt well pee'd off I just leave.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I haven't drunk to excess since my teens. I used to have a built in safety device to stop me drinking too much - when I exceeded my limit it I puked up. I hated the hangover days & quickly realised it wasn't worth it. Pre breathalyser we all used to think 4 to 5 pints was OK but all of that stopped as soon as breath tests came in. Personally, I don't find any problem refusing alcohol but, as above, I'm sure many folks who leave the golf club are over the limit.