Lonely city

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Vancouver, London, New York. Tokyo, Stockholm just a few to suffer the silent scourge.
I don't know the answer. Even the philosopher Bertrand Russell didn't either, so it does go back a while and not just a 21st Century problem.
You can join clubs but once it afflicts you it seems it doesn't go away and there is no medication.
Thoughts, please.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You're a real bundle of fun you are.......:censored:
Yes, but being miserable keeps me happy!
One point I'm making is that joining any club or group is no answer.
Been on my own now for 23 years, during which time all friends and family have gone.
Older you are the worse it's likely to get, but the young can also be severely affected and it becomes like a disease.
Like being in a quicksand, the more you struggle the deeper it gets.
Where are all the people I used to know? I should recognise old work friends in the local area but never do.
Murdered Jo Cox tried to do something.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes, but being miserable keeps me happy!
One point I'm making is that joining any club or group is no answer.
Been on my own now for 23 years, during which time all friends and family have gone.
Older you are the worse it's likely to get, but the young can also be severely affected and it becomes like a disease.
Like being in a quicksand, the more you struggle the deeper it gets.
Where are all the people I used to know? I should recognise old work friends in the local area but never do.
Murdered Jo Cox tried to do something.

You're right. As you get older change is harder to manage. When you lose contemporaries, it makes you more aware of your own mortality as well as the sadness of losing a buddy/relation...

Joining clubs and activities is the answer for some, but not others. But surely searching for anything that brings joy is a worthwhile exercise. Especially trying "new stuff!"

My earlier post was more about avoiding negativity than anything else.

Keep scrapping, its worth the effort.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’m in my 32nd house in 65yrs. Lived in the U.K., Ireland and Spain. Think I’ve been a member of 14 golf clubs. Making friends, for some people, isn’t always easy. And from my own experience, those that don’t move have a lot more friends, often going back to their school days. They’re also a lot closer with so many shared friends, again going back to their school days.

I can well believe it can be lonely moving somewhere new. As for me, maybe moving as much as I have means I don’t have a problem talking to people… scares the BeJesus out of southerners though!:ROFLMAO:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m in my 32nd house in 65yrs. Lived in the U.K., Ireland and Spain. Think I’ve been a member of 14 golf clubs. Making friends, for some people, isn’t always easy. And from my own experience, those that don’t move have a lot more friends, often going back to their school days. They’re also a lot closer with so many shared friends, again going back to their school days.

I can well believe it can be lonely moving somewhere new. As for me, maybe moving as much as I have means I don’t have a problem talking to people… scares the BeJesus out of southerners though!:ROFLMAO:
Especially with those feet 🦶 🤭🤭😬

D-S

Visit site
Vancouver, London, New York. Tokyo, Stockholm just a few to suffer the silent scourge.
I don't know the answer. Even the philosopher Bertrand Russell didn't either, so it does go back a while and not just a 21st Century problem.
You can join clubs but once it afflicts you it seems it doesn't go away and there is no medication.
Thoughts, please.

Are you ok?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are you ok?
Okay, thanks.
But who are you? D-S from Bristol is all I know.
Hi! I'm Steve from Solihull.

On posters I see: "Fill your street with friendliness".
More likely it's filled with CCTV cameras.

Everywhere I see: "Samaraitans will listen: Call 116 123".
Sign on lamppost says "Look out if you are using phone",

Who are your Facebook and Twitter friends?
You probably know their avatars better.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
In the UK about 8 million people now live on their own.
In the USA it is 36 million.
If this is repeated around the world then almost 1 billion live alone.
At worst it can be like a black hole of despair.
If your partner dies you may well have a significant increase in your risk of dying.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I moved from Glasgow to Bristol for my first job after uni I didn’t know a soul. But that didn’t stop me. I’d go into pubs and start chatting with folk standing at the bar. I think they thought I was a bit weird. Maybe I am, but they found that by buying me a drink I’d sometimes shut up for a bit.😉

Getting to know you…getting to know all about you etc.